“Highlight of our Seward to Vancouver cruise”
Review of Fly Drake

Fly Drake
Ranked #8 of 22 Tours in Haines
More attraction details
Owner description: Glacier Bay Flightseeing, skiing service, charters, complete ski plane services for mountain climbers, skiiers and snowboarders. World class mountain access in Southeast Alaska including Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Gustavus, Yakutat, Dry Bay, and Mount Fairweather.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife, my 82 year old father-in-law and myself took a flight with Fly Drake on 9/2/13. We had booked a Glacier Bay flight departing from Skagway. We communicated with Drake the day prior and he reminded us that the flight would be weather permitting. The morning of, we spoke to Drake by phone again and moved the time back to allow for the clouds to break. The walk from the ship - through town to the airport - was easy. Once at the airport we waited for Drake, he arrived on time and was very helpful as we prepared for the flight. My father-in-law had never flown on a small aircraft. As Drake cleaned the windows and made final preparations for the flight everything was very relaxed and getting into the plane was a snap.
After a very smooth take-off, we ascended into another world and a must see to truly experience Alaska and to visual understand glaciers. Due to cloud cover, we were unable to fly down into Glacier Bay - instead we flew over the ice fields north of GB. The views were spectacular, the narration conversations with Drake - along with background music made the trip truly an experience of a lifetime. We took a GoPro and recorded the entire flight (found out upon landing that Drake as a few GP mounts on the plane we were in as part of work he did with National Geographic - next time we will mount the camera external!). We have relived out adventure over an over via video.
I recommend getting up in the air with Drake as soon as you can upon visiting Alaska - this will give you a sense of the amazing power and beauty of the incredible place!! We flew so close to some of the peaks that if felt like you could reach out and touch them. Drake explained that the air is very stable and the updrafts are minimal in this area so the entire flight was very smooth.
BTW; Drake operates his business as a one-man-show, this means that he does not have the overhead of others nor the staff. He kept every promise he made and was a pleasure to spend time with - we could clearly tell that he knows what he is doing and enjoys doing it. a MUST DO without question.

1  Thank Richard S

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Our experience with Fly Drake could not have been better. From the start when he picked us up in town to the end when my son couldn't stop laughing at his jokes, Drake was first class. The experience is phenomenal as anyone who flies over glaciers will tell you, but the fair price, the service, the communication and the attitude made this our best choice in Alaska. Drake's flexibility should be taken as a GREAT approach to the unpredictable weather of Alaska. He is going to keep his commitment and not waste your money if the flight isn't going to work that day. Simply a great choice and I can't say enough good things about this pilot/service.

1  Thank SkuzzlebuttSanDiego
Reviewed 14 September 2013

One of the greatest things to do in Southeast Alaska is fly with a local. Now, to be fair, there are the regular scenic cookie-cutter packages and then there is flying that is different from what you will ever experience in your life. My good friend and I recently had a chance to fly with Drake Olson located in Haines, Alaska.

Drake knows how to allow the day to unfold itself without adhering to a limit or pattern. He asked us what we wanted out of the day and then went to good lengths to give us that organic experience. We literally cut earthly bounds for a few precious hours and "left it all behind," so to speak. Our day began when we met up at Drake's hanger on the Haines highway. His hangar is a super cool snapshot of the Alaskan life. As a world endurance race car driver before his time in Haines, you can tell that he hes an artist when it comes to maintenance and operation of his three planes. They are simply gorgeous. In Drake's words, he told me that he hopes his approach to flying, "shows a fluidity; a preservation of inertia."

He took us out to the coast on a glorious flight. One of the best parts about flying was the flawless take off; as soon as we were in the air, Drake played great music while we drifted over the glaciers. If you have not seen a glacier in this lifetime, I highly recommend that you add it to your list. We landed on the beach next to fresh Grizzly tracks and walked up to get a look at one of the glaciers that was surging out onto the beach and into the ocean. We had stunning a view of Mt. Fairweather and the rest of the Fairweather range. As the sun started to set, Drake flew us over a drainage where we saw Grizzly's fishing for Sockeye! As we flew home, we saw a family of white mountain goats over a ridge. It was the best day of the summer for me and I think my friend went home with the story of a lifetime. For me, it was ethereal; adrenaline filled and peaceful at the same time. I know that I will be back with my family and anyone else who wants to experience more than the average tourist in Alaska.

1  Thank Margotf
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

WOW!!! What can I say? The "experience of a lifetime" just doesn't do justice to the most amazing experience I had flying with Drake yesterday! It's 3:22 in the morning and I'm STILL smilin'!!! Guess a perma grin is part of the whole adventure!!!
This is TRULY the best way to see Alaska and Drake Olson the best pilot to take you there! His knowledge and humor will make you feel at ease as you view things you could only imagine the beauty of!!! Pictures could never do justice to seeing these mountains, glaciers, waterfalls, and everything you could imagine, with your own eyes! The only thing that would possibly top this experience is doing it again! And I think I will!!!

1  Thank Sharon P
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The highlight of our trip to Haines was our ride with Drake. The views were magnificent and the music played during our flight was perfect. Drake is a great pilot and lots of fun. We plan to go back and the first thing we are going to schedule is another flight with Drake. We got some great pictures. Thanks so much! The Lindsey's

2  Thank LReyes2013

Been to Fly Drake? Share your experiences!