“Poor Customer Service / Average Room Condition”
Review of Denali Park Hotel

Denali Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Healy
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked a room with 2 queen beds for myself & my wife (Canadian) and a close friend & his wife (Australian) (all coloureds) for 2 nights. Coleen, the front desk daytime clerk, displayed very bad customer service attributes. She didn't have a cordial demeanour to start with. When I walked into the office the afternoon of the second day, I didn't realize that she was on the phone and greeted her "good afternoon". She appeared surprised and seemed to resent the intrusion but made no acknowledgement of my presence other than the surprised, resentful look. She happened to be talking to a friend or acquaintance in a far-off place/state, which I gathered from the gist of her conversation. Only when she was done phoning did she acknowledge to my wife her awareness of our presence in the little confines of that train carriage of an office, pretending to be surprised at our presence. Then, some minutes later, by which time I was occupying one computer & my friend the other, both trying to print our boarding passes for our flights the next day, she had the gall to ask if both of us needed to use the computers as there was a (white, probably German) couple who had come in just a few minutes earlier also needing to use a computer (ostensibly to upload some pictures - how urgent can that be?). My friend, who was about done completing his task, relinquished his computer with the comment that we are two people (meaning that, as two fare-paying guests, we are each individually entitled to use the computers). Coleen shouldn't be allowed to deal with customers. The young lady who was at the desk in the mornings was much nicer & friendlier. We informed her of our displeasure with Coleen as we were checking out.

The bathtub was unclean. Room window & the window screen weren't properly closed after house-cleaning on the 2nd day, allowing a fly to get into our room.

Denali park is 20 minutes away. Couple of decent restaurants are nearby (we tried the Black Diamond up the street, which served good hamburgers & has friendly waiters, especially our waitress Arkalia). Try The Great Alaska Fish & Chip Co in Denali for a good Alaskan beer & some decent choice of good food. The front desk clerk, Jonathan (also served our food), was a friendly & accommodating type of guy.

Beware of the only gas station in Denali Park. It swindled my friend of two $100 transactions (verified online by my friend) on a single $43 gas purchase. When we approached them the next day, they were giving spurious explanations & made no attempt to rectify the matter. My friend will have to ask his credit card company to straighten it out on his return to Australia. Use your credit card at that gas station at your own risk. I wonder how many folks (especially unsuspecting seniors) who don't check their credit card statements get swindled by this gas station?

Room Tip: The only reason I'd recommend this hotel is for the cheap snacks & soft drinks (including wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gypsyinnkeeper, Manager at Denali Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

First of all we would like to apologize for any negative customer service attributes you may have experienced from our front desk staff during your stay. We pride ourselves for our friendly and helpful staff members.

I feel I must address your racial issue. Our hotel hosts guests from many nations and some of our staff are from other countries. We are NEVER biased in any fashion and I feel this is something that is in the guests own person.

As for the computer problem, our lobby computers are for ALL guests and sometimes during busy lobby hours we do have to limit computer time. This was also during a wifi problem and we had a lot of guests that needed to use the computers. We do not discriminate.

We are sorry your stay with us was not a satisfactory one for you and your family.
Denali Park Hotel, Management

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We got a room in the A section and it has an awesome of the mountains. The room has all the basic amenities.10 miles from the park.Stayed there for two nights and had a nice sleep after tiring long days.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Spartan furnishing, but clean, 8 miles from the Park, 1 mile from a 24/7 gas station and store, and seven miles from rafting, hiking, flight seeing, fishing, etc. There were lots of amenities in the room, such as a fridge, coffee, hair dryer, T.V., etc. beds were comfy. The room was a plain Jane one, but we did not plan to spend our time in a motel.

Room Tip: It doesn't make any difference.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank likesnow
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Located about 12 miles north of entrance to Denali NP. Picked this hotel due to budget prices and reviews in Trip Advisor. Will say that those reviews were accurate. Not fancy, but very adequate. Clean and quiet at night. We stayed there 3 evenings, no issues during entire stay.

Room Tip: The motel has wireless internet, but it works best if you use it in the office. I had sporadic cove...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Larry R
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The building is older, but clean and well kept! The location is great at only about 10 miles from the entrance to the park.
The staff is very nice and helpful.
The internet was sketchy, but worked in the lobby just fine. We were there the first week it was open for the season, so maybe the internet in the rooms will improve.
Will stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We arrived the second day the hotel was open for the season. Wifi worked fine, the beds were very comfy, bathroom was very clean as was the entire place. I'd recommend this as a good place to call headquarters for a few days while exploring the area. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RCapt
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The Bad:
The room smelled like that hunting camp type of smell. Since its not in use most of the year, this was expected. They need air fresheners though.
No amenities.

The Good:
Price is right for the area and quality you get.
Close by to the entrance to Denali park.
Occasional view of a moose.
No bugs.
Rooms are normal for a motel. (ie: shower, toilet, & TV)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ThreeWiseMen1998
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
Denali Bluffs Hotel
#1 of 6 in McKinley Village
The Perch Resort
The Perch Resort
#5 of 6 in McKinley Village

Been to Denali Park Hotel? Share your experiences!