“"Running with the dogs"”

EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just returned home to Ohio from the experience of a lifetime. Went dog sledding for five days with Earth Song Lodge and Dog Sled Expeditions. Could not have asked for a better host and guide then Jon Nierenberg. With His 15 plus years of living in the bush homesteading along with a long career of guiding dog tours and a Alaska National Park Ranger his knowledge and expertise could not have been beat. Besides that, he's one hell of a chef. Went into the trip thinking I would lose a few pounds but believe I actually gained weight. I would highly recommend this true Alaskan life experience to everyone. I definitely look forward to returning in the near future. Thanks for all the great memories Jon.
Sincerely
Greg Burnett
Cincinnati Ohio

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We came here on our honeymoon and it was just magical. You get your own cozy cabin overlooking the Denali range and it's just beyond words. The staff was so sweet and attentive. This is how everyone should experience Alaska. You have a little bit of luxury but not so much so that you loose the natural beauty of your surroundings. We felt completely in tune with the great outdoors while still having the comforts of home. It was really quaint and lovely. I also liked visiting with the sled dogs that are house adjacent to the cabins. Beautiful animals! Truly an unforgettable expirience. We both really enjoyed staying here and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoCalBee78
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed with my family during the first week of October and i would rate it as the best place i have ever stayed in my life...
This place is about 10 miles to the Denali national park away from the hustle of the town center. The hosts especially Jon and his daughter were exceptional in their warmth & service. Jon being a former park ranger gave us good tips on sightseeing in and around Denali.

The rooms were small but very comfortable. The added bonus on this trip was a audio / visual show on Denali with all photos taken by Jon. if you are a dog lover, you will also get a trip of his sled dogs which is an experience in itself.

for me the highlight of the trip was finding Jon's photo next to the original van in the movie "Into the wild". He shared many a secrets around the van and the original resident.

If i get a chance i will keep coming back...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sathyaraj R
Reviewed 11 September 2013

4 miles off the Hwy north of Denali Park - perfect log cabin comfort. Henry's restaurant was exactly what we wanted and Jon was happy to prepare our sack lunches while we waited. The building was quiet even tho there were reportedly 60 mph winds during one evening storm.

Room Tip: about 15 cabins on property - book early
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stefhim
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Made to feel at home by Owners Karen and Jon , the cabins where very comfortable. Food not bad on the limited menu but the cook was hurt and not avaiable so Jon took over. Dogs where interesting and I understand the dog sled excursions are fantastic during winter months. If I have an occasion to return to Denali, EarthSong would be the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank singert
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

When we first opened the door to our cabin we weren't sure if the two of us and our 2 large suite cases would fit! There was a double bed and a futon. When we stood in the middle of the room, we took turns dressing. We had a good laugh. The room was very comfortable and suited our needs. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sierrared
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I found EarthSong Lodge online while making arrangements for our Denali trip. I wanted to show our company from out of state a Real Alaskan lodge, rather than just any hotel room. I got a good feeling about staying there when I talked to John on the phone. When we arrived, John was very welcoming and helpful. We settled into our two cabins and were very comfortable. John shows a wonderful slide show in the evenings, which we all really enjoyed. He also opens up his kennel for folks to get hands on with his very friendly sled dogs. Our company were very happy with the choice to stay there and left with a few more Alaskan experiences to remember.

I would highly recommend staying at EarthSong Lodge. It's away from the touristy part of Denali and shows a different perspective of that beautiful area of our great state.

One thing I'd like to mention... I originally asked to just rent their 2 bedroom cabin for the five adults in our party. John told me it would be possible for all of us to stay together, but felt we would be much more comfortable renting two cabins. I'm really happy we did. The cabins are cute as can be, but not big. Four could have stayed in that cabin, but the futon would not have worked out well for our fifth adult.

Room Tip: I'm confident all the cabins are just as nice as the ones we stayed in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jean W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healy
McKinley Chalet Resort
Denali Bluffs Hotel
#3 of 6 in McKinley Village
Denali Touch Of Wilderness Bed and Breakfast Inn
Motel Nord Haven Aurora Denali Lodge

Been to EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat? Share your experiences!