EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat
US$192
US$213
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
US$188
US$181
  • Restaurant
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
US$298
  • Restaurant
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
US$352
Denali Bluffs Hotel(McKinley Village)
US$299
Hotels.com
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
US$214
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsslide showsled dogscoffee househenry's coffeehousepark entranceroom cabindenali national parkmaddening crowdtrundle bedstampede roadmountain rangeauthentic alaskan experiencecozy cabinshand builtqueen suitegreat slidecinnamon rolls
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My grown daughters and I stayed here 2 nights while visiting Denali. We would definately go back and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the cabins and Coffee House. Cabins were spotlessly clean, well maintained and spacious. Abundance of towels and pillows (a pet peeve of mine) and the rooms just over all comfy. Coffee shop was a warm Oasis. I even got some wood ideas for my home cottage. Thanks........Mike, Sarah and Hayley.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We ended up here last minute because Earthsong was the only place available in the area. I was very thankful for a bed & hot shower....but I was expecting more given the price.

I didn't experience the warm, inviting welcome that the other posters rave about. The day we arrived it was pouring & storming & I had to wait several minutes moving from building to building, getting soaked before I was able to get help & get checked in. I never met Karen....

The cabin was adequate & clean but in need of repair & maintenance.

The coffee shop isn't worth a trip. Our dinner was cold & the help wasn't very friendly. BUT, the view & atmosphere was amazing.

Our cabin had a maintenance issue & we were forced to leave several hours early. The owner was sorry but offered no compensation (coffee & a muffin on the house would have been sufficient).

Overall it was a fine place to stay...it just lacked the hospitality & wow factor you expect for the price & after reading these reviews.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
earthsonglodge, Owner at EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

This review from ILoveYellowstone really begs for a management response, and I'm happy to do that now. I remember this couple very well...they have lived near a few national parks, and was exploring Alaska for the first time with the idea of moving up here sometime in the future. We actually had an interesting talk at check-in, so I don't understand how they felt we lacked hospitality and they did not "experience the warm, inviting welcome that the other posters rave about." It might have something to do with our office being unmanned when they arrived, but that is normal for us and other small operations where the owners also work full-time doing a number of other tasks. There are two phone numbers for people to call when they arrive if we aren't in the office or don't see them pull up. As for the rain, it has been a rainy summer. And it is Alaska.

I do wish I was told about their issues at our coffeehouse, I could have addressed it right away, and offered compensation if warranted. Our help there is not unfriendly, our cook is from the Dominican Republic, and his limited English skills (which are fairly good) may be interpreted in the wrong way. The cook is actually very nice and friendly, and fits in well at Henry's.

The maintenance issue in the cabin was the toilet, specifically the water closet on the toilet back breaking and unloading the water on the floor. In 17 years of running the business, I have never had something like that happen, and the cause was either a flaw in the ceramic unit or the guest hit/fell up against it. Either way, it was an issue that motivated the guests to check out early. I apologized for the issue, and they also did, and it seemed like they understood, apologizing to me over and over again. I was able to fix the issue, but well after they left. While this problem was definitely an inconvenience to our guests, they seemed fine about it, and left in such a hurry I didn't have an opportunity to offer compensation. By the speed of their departure and the continued apologies from them, I do wonder the cause of the problem.

I encourage all future guests to look over our other reviews. I am confident that EarthSong meets the hospitality level guests expect from our reviews on TripAdvisor and the guidebooks, and we do have plenty of wow factor. Our rates may be high, but they are in line with the other lodging options in the Healy/Denali area, especially considering the extras like the slide programs, activity planning, and sled dog kennel tours. I believe that you get more for your money at our lodge than at most other operations in Denali, and I feel that we offered that same service to these guests...even if they didn't feel like they got what they wanted. In addition, the only cabin we had available to these guests was a larger two-room cabin. Since they were only a couple, we charged them the rate for one of our smaller cabins, instead of the regular rate for that cabin. So they actually got a substantial discount, something the larger hotels would likely not offer. We are sorry they experienced a less-than-desirable experience at EarthSong.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The cabin was very well made and clean. My husband and I stayed in one room, while the kids had the other room. There was a double bed and a pull out chair that the kids slept on. It was nice to have the separation from the kids. The cabins are all connected by wooden walkways. The views of the mountains are beautiful. The coffee house is very cute. The coffee shop has wifi, but the cabins do not. Jon was very friendly and helpful.

The downside it that there is not a coffee maker or any way to heat water in the am. So, if you are up and at 'me before the coffee shop opens you are out of luck. For the money you pay to stay it would be nice to have a coffee maker, teas, and coffee in the cabins. Another tip...this is NOT a reflection on earthsong lodge, but I would highly suggest checking out construction schedules before booking anything in Alaska. What should have taken us 15 minutes to get to denali, took us an hour because of the multiple construction stops over the eleven mile trip. Doing this four times added an unexpected four hours to our total travel time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Handy to Denali, but well off the beaten path! Cabins are built on the tundra, elevated to protect the perma-frost. Very quiet, but occasionally you hear the sled dogs barking...not an irritant at all, it adds to the atmosphere! Host is very congenial and helpful. There is a small cafe adjacent, with a communal lodge area above the cafe. The host presents slide shows nightly featuring his extensive library of pictures he has taken in Denali. If you are looking for a quiet, serene place to stay, away from the the crazy, noisy, cruise ship passenger dominated area around the entrance to Denali, this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
earthsonglodge, Owner at EarthSong Lodge - Denali's Natural Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I appreciate the kind words from our guests from Texas, and believe the atmosphere of our lodge is captured perfectly...serene and quiet, away from the industrial tourism at the park entrance. I think our guest meant howling instead of barking in regards to our sled dogs, and that does add a bit to the atmosphere here! EarthSong will continue to be an alternative to more conventional lodging in the Denali area, and we always look forward to the guests seeking a more authentic Denali experience.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Your hosts Jon & Karin have worked very hard to get there lodge to a standard of service and comfort to where they want it to be. Stay here you will not be disappointed. The cabins are very cosy and have all you need. The beds are very comfy. The lodge is far enough away from the crowds but close enough to the park. The evening show that Jon puts on is well worth the while and the restaurant serves a small menu of food. Make sure you see the sledge dogs and give them a good petting. Beware at the mo there are lots of roadworks in the park so allow enough time to get everywhere. Its a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple