“Bears up close via float plane and excellent guide”

Emerald Air Service, Inc.
Ranked #5 of 53 Tours in Homer
More attraction details
Owner description: Please join us for the bear viewing trip of a lifetime. Find yourself in pristine, remote areas where you are not limited to paved trails or platforms--where you are away from the crowds. Fly in our deHavilland Beaver on floats across Cook Inlet to Katmai--bear country--and spend a full day watching thse magnificent creatures. An unforgettable experience.
Orlando, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bears up close via float plane and excellent guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The trip was spectacular. Sara guided on the ground and Craig piloted (13K hours). saw brown bears in natural setting, getting within 20yards, as the bears in Katmai have not been contaminated by human feeding. 6hours plus of leisurely hiking through the meadows along bear trails, enjoying the incredible beauty of the park. A once in a lifetime experience that should not be missed. Their plane can land on remote rivers that the other can't so no chance of running into other crowds of tourists. The 1hr15minute flight from/to Homer was also incredible, as they pointed out whales surfacing and watching the spouts from above. couldn't be better.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank mark j

• Polish first
Chicago, IL
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This goes under the category of "this is why we work". We work every day so we can afford to go on trips like this. It was a once in a lifetime, amazing experience. Everything was just so fantastic. The guides were so knowledgeable, with not just the bears but with all of the flora and fauna. Any question I asked was either answered, or we figured it out when we got back to the lodge. The bear viewing was out of this world. Completely worth the trip. The flight over was nice and smooth, enough so I could fall asleep.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank pantsday
Louisville, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bear Viewing Dream Come True”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My family (myself, husband and son) enjoyed the flight to Katmai National Park the last week of August, 2013. My husband is an amputee (left knee disarticulation). Thanks to Craig and Sarah and the froggers they provided, he was able to embark and disembark the plane without any incident to himself or his prosthetic limb. This was an experience of a lifetime! After a quarter of a mile hike to the edge of a cliff, we saw a huge mother bear and her three cubs, all of which waddled 25 feet under my feet as I sat and dangled my legs over the cliff to view the river below. There were two bears squabbling over the same salmon, which was more of a verbal fight than physical and their roars were so loud. A fox played just a few feet away from my family. Her beautiful eyes seemed to be more yellow than brown. There was an odd sound coming from nearby and upon investigation, we saw Alaska's state bird, the Ptarmigan. As you focus on the river, you will be awestruck by the intense ruby red color of the salmon that were scurrying around everywhere. This site was truly was a bear's smorgasboard. The bears couldn't have cared less about our human appearance; I even saw gentlemen fishing within a few feet of the bears and at times, I had to catch my breath as it seemed a bear was at a dead run going straight for the fisherman. It was actually chasing its prized salmon!!! I can't say enough positive things about Emerald Air Service. They ROCK!!!!!!!

Visited August 2013
Iowa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Complete confidence in Emerald Air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

After reading many, many reviews on Tripadvisor, I chose to have my two teenage children fly with Craig and Sarah for bear viewing in Katmai NP last summer. Upon meeting these two the morning of the trip, I had complete confidence my children would be in safe hands. My husband and I enjoyed a relaxing day exploring Homer. The kids returned with wonderful memories and photos of the beautiful scenery on the flights and the bear watching. My only regret is that the end of June probably was not the prime time to do this. They only saw grown bears hanging out or digging for clams--no bear cubs or salmon fishing. Still, it was definitely the experience of a lifetime!

Visited July 2013
Bella Vista, Arkansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Emeral Air Service Bear Viewing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

My wife and I spent a day with Craig and Sarah in the Funnel Creek/Morraine Creek area just two weeks ago, but seems like yesterday. The sights, smells, and sounds are still right there. Fantastic trip over and back. Bears were a once in a lifetime experience, and there are no better folks to lead a trip like this, Sarah is a real expert, and having the experience of both of them on this trip was a bonus. Great people, great trip, great bears and memories that will last forever. Thanks to Craig and Sarah for being both passionate about what you do and available when we were planning our trip. Would go see the bears again in a heartbeat, but only with Emerald. Mark and Ronda

Visited September 2013