“Best of the Best”

Ranked #1 of 40 Homer B&B and Inns
Fair Grove, Missouri
“Best of the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Elegant facility, artistically enhanced. Service tops. My four nights there were the best of 5 trips to Alaska. Inn Keeper is most helpful. The privacy, the view, the surroundings cannot be beat. Michael is not only helpful; he is friendly; breakfast is whatever you prefer. He assists in making arrangements for fishing, sight seeing, shopping, dining and even hiking. He even offers beer and wine, and an outside fire in the evening, Although I did not have a dog companion, he is open to those who do. The peace and quiet, the good atmosphere, the nurturing care make this a stress-free oasis that would be outstanding anywhere. To have it in Homer, the Best Little City in the world makes it the Best B & B in the world.

Room Tip: All three of the guest rooms are Super!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
It was my pleasure to host Dr. N Shealy from Missouri, one of the finest Holistic Healers in the U.S...... For him to say that this was his favorite trip out of 5 to Alaska just sends me over the moon !
Clarification note though...it is unlawful to offer alcohol as an inducement to do business in Alaska..... My hobbies are smoking fish and making wines.... if I should offer you an alcoholic beverage, the context is from one friend to another.....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Six of us stayed at the Karma Inn the Summer of 2014 and had a great time! The rooms were great with private baths and the feather beds were so comfy. Mike was the host with the most and was great. He even let us bring our dog! The only thing that was upsetting was the bill. We booked well in advance and when we got there we asked were he wanted us. He put us in the three different rooms and spread us out. I paid in full before our visit and on our departure we were surprised with the extra $275 he charged us for an additional room.

kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
I am truly sorry that this party of 6 people felt slightly railroaded by being charged for 3 rooms... I did not place them in any rooms.... I always allow my guests to choose their own rooms when they arrive en masse...( from one party ) I don't understand how they figured that they shouldn't have to pay for the 3rd room seeing how they chose to occupy it..... I do often accommodate a third adult in one room but there is an additional cost for that service also....
In the future for my part, I pledge to be more specific and to reiterate that prices are always based on double occupancy....
Good news is that they had a good time......
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in Kindness for 2 nights in July. We could not have asked for a more perfect stay. The room was lovely and extremely comfortable, the location and views were absolutely breathtaking, and Michael was the most gracious of hosts. He is relaxed, making you feel really at home, but also attentive and full of great suggestions (I suggest picking his brain even before arriving in alaska -- he steered us towards some really great attractions/activities we may have otherwise missed). As an added bonus, while staying there, we also found out we were pregnant with our first child ... Good Karma, indeed!! Thank you, Michael, for sharing your slice of paradise with us. We'll be back one day!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
Hoping that Sonia and Jamie come back with the Little One !!!
Box Elder, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Michael L. is an outstanding innkeeper. He provides excellent accommodations - clean, spacious, and a great view of the mountains, glaciers, and bay.

And he knows Homer. Be sure to ask him where the best places are to view wildlife or to eat or to see the views.

A good listener, he will ask the right questions to place you where you want to be.

When you arrive in Homer, just give him a call. He can guide you to his quiet inn on the east side of town.

AND he prepares a delicious breakfast every day made to order for each guest.

Be sure to reserve at least 2 nights. That's his minimum and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014
kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
Such kind words from Road Cal who apparently is a prolific reviewer here on Trip Advisor ! I wasn't nearly as good a listener in my younger years as i am now...... in my latter age though it has made me a better Innkeeper...
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our family of 4 (parents and 2 college-aged kids) stayed here for 2 nights in July. We stayed in the 2 bedrooms on the second floor (Wisdom and Mindfulness) and the accommodations were perfect, each room having a private bath and breathtaking views. Both rooms open on to a common balcony. My only complaint: we should have stayed longer because we were all sad to leave our charming host (Michael) and his wonderful B&B. This place has the most amazing feel to it. We felt so welcome and comfortable. If there wasn't so much to do and see in the area, we would have been perfectly content relaxing and chatting with Michael and soaking up all the good karma of the place. Aptly named and not to be missed! We would never stay anywhere else if and when we return to Homer.

Room Tip: The "Wisdom" room has 2 huge windows with glacier, mountain and water views as well as a d...
kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
This was such a lovely family from Tucson that i was Blessed to host ! They were all very down to earth and we enjoyed much laughter together in our long evenings by the fireside...
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for three days recently, and had a fantastic time. The B&B is awesome. Michael designed and built the place himself (with help of course) to be a B&B, so it has a very comfortable feel. Michael could not have been a more gracious host.The views are magnificent, and the artwork is stunning. Also, if you are in construction, or an architect interested in a fully-scribed large-log building, don't miss this place. Kitchen is open 24/7, which we appreciated. We will be going back to Alaska, and can't wait to stay with Michael again.

Moose wandered by while we were there. Stay an extra day and take a flight-seeing trip from Homer to visit wild bears in their native habitat. Better than spending a day in Denali.

kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2015
This was a lovely couple who really took advantage of all we have to offer here at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula..... Folks from all over the world travel here specifically to see our brown bears either in Katmai or Lake Clark National Parks.... While it is a little spendy , it is a once in a lifetime opportunity...
Walton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in early June, and had a wonderful time.Michael is such a great host . The place is beautiful, and the detail to attention is phenomenal. We were so stuck by his hospitality and knowledge of the area . We enjoyed sitting on the patio , enjoying the beauty of the area and a fine glass of wine. Great breakfast ....All the rooms are super, but we loved "mindfulness".If you visit, don't miss the photo;s he has of the construction project. Fantastic.. Thanks Michael. We plan to bring our entire family next year, and will be contacting you for reservations.. And, we'll bring with us some Indiana specialities..

Room Tip: They are all great...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
kachemak, Owner at Good Karma Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Bob and I discovered that we share a common hobby.... I enjoy smoking fish and he enjoys smoking meats.... And so we intend to ship to each other this fall.....

I am especially gratified to learn that he and Stephanie intend on returning in 2015 and book all 3 of my rooms for their family members.... I look forward to hosting everyone who can make the trip...