“Good fine”

AJ's Oldtown Steakhouse & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
AJ's Oldtown Steakhouse & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 75 Restaurants in Homer
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: AJ's Oldtown Steakhouse & Tavern is known locally as the "Historic Waterfront". AJ's is proud to be serving up the top 2% of USDA Prime Beef offered in the Nation and the only on the Kenai Peninsula. Offering mouth-watering steaks & great seafood including Scallops, King Crab, Fresh Halibut & Salmon! Let's not forget those delicious cheese burgers, the Tavern Menu, Spirits and Specialty Martinis in a casual old town atmosphere! This venue also features great family entertainment & dinner music before 10pm. If your looking for food late...AJ's is the last Kitchen open in Homer. Come in and see what's new. The transformation is amazing! We've kept the old town hospitality tradtion going and are still serving Homer's famous Red Knot Craft Beer, the Old Town Rusty Nail & some amazing specialty martinis! Some history...Established in 1941 AJ's has an amazing history. The front part of the building was built as the original women's club in 1937. Laura & Walt purchased it from the women's club and it opened as the first cafe & bar in Homer in 1941. They named it the Homer Cafe & Club. It featured just a few bar stools, a pool table, and a tiny kitchen. Over the years it has had many owners including Tex & Marge Sharp. They named it the "Waterfront" and it became known as the best place on the peninsula to get a good steak! In the 1970's folks would spend hours at the Waterfront being entertained by the likes of Harley Hess & Hobo Jim. In the 1990's it became Duggan's and featured a friendly, Irish Pub atmosphere. Now, as AJ's, the old town building has come full circle back to the ol' Waterfront days, featuring great Steak, Seafood, Spirits & Entertainment, along with the same friendly old town hospitality that has been a tradition for over 70 years.
pine hill, nj
“Good fine”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stumbled upon this off the beat and path looking for something else. I'm glad we did. The place was pretty empty just a few couples in the dining area. We were greeted and sat promptly. Both my husband and I enjoyed our meals. Our waitress Kelsey was very good with refilling our drinks, making sure everything was ok, and was overall friendly. I don't understand the ranking of this restaurant, I can only guess it's because it's tucked down a side street. Hopefully more people will go.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank tripgirl74

• Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A nice place and good food”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Halibut was good and the potatoes were very tasty. Good piano player! Not too loud! Good service. I recommend for a nice meal.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank runningspots
Addy, Washington
“Two Visits=5 Stars”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped here one night while visiting and the food was so good, we came back two nights later for a beer and burger. The food quality was excellent. The first night we had a chicken Caesar salad and the chicken Alfredo. Both were very yummy and neither of us could finish because of the amount of food served. Two nights later we were back for burgers and beers, and again the cowboy burgers we ordered were excellent and we weren't able to finish it all. Lots of good food, good wait staff, and nice interior. Wish we lived in Homer! The burgers were close to the best we'd ever had!

1 Thank Nanceelee423
South Jersey
“AJ'S Was Excellent ”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I stopped in tonight for some dinner with my wife. Upon entering I was already intrigued. Very nice, clean environment that smelled great. We were seated fast and the waitress Kelcey brought us water and gave us menus. She did a great job and was very polite. I ordered the dinner salad & French Dip & my wife got the chicken sandwich. All the food was spot on and delicious. No complaints. Really cool restaurant. And the bathroom was very clean and had really nice tile work (I'm a critic because I own my own tile business lol). I would definitely go here again when I'm back in Homer. Cheers.

1 Thank surviorRob
Catskill, New York
“Northern Exposure”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I hope it's okay with you-all if I review Homer, Alaska, by way of this restaurant. Homer is The Halibut Capital, so of course one of you has to order it here, and - wonder of wonders - the chef knows how to cook it. Tender and moist and simple and why doesn't everyone make it this way? And the other has to order the steak, and again -wonder of wonders - it, too, is cooked perfectly. Garlicky clams in wine sauce as an appetizer - ask for spoons if you don't want to sop up all of the juices with the enormous hunks of Italian bread.

The piano player is doing Beatles songs, and in walks the guy you saw at the farmers' market yesterday, you know, the one with the upright piano in his van, the one who totally surprised you when you were expecting nothing but got magic, and here he is, sitting in for just two pieces, making magic all over again before he quietly vanishes.

You were only at the farmers' market to pass the time while your clothes were in the washer across the street at the laundromat, but you sat on the benches near the music because you were having a fish taco and Thai coconut salmon soup for lunch. Back at the laundromat, you shared the folding table with the most laid back, diverse, friendly folks you've seen since Northern Exposure went off the air.

Okay, coming out of the restaurant, where, of course, the friendly waitress is originally from upstate New York, you happen upon a big outdoor fundraising dinner for a couple of local organizations. It's 48 degrees and 6:30 in the evening, and for this plein air event, is everyone wearing fleece and flannel and down? No, that's you. Everyone else is in short sleeves, and the dressier ladies have light shawls. Lots of people - like maybe 80 - have showed up for this fundraiser, age 20 to 70 and in mixed groups.

Okay, back to the restaurant. Lots of locals, but also lots of visitors, warmly welcomed.

Can you tell we had a great time in Homer?

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Babette221

Been to AJ's Oldtown Steakhouse & Tavern? Share your experiences!