“most items really nice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Homestead Restaurant

The Homestead Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Homestead Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 73 Restaurants in Homer
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Casual Fine Dining restaurant serving delicious steak and fresh seafood, with a full service bar and Wine Spectator awarded wine list, with stellar views overlooking Kachemak Bay.
Portland, Oregon
“most items really nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We ate there two nights in a row. In general they do innovative preparations of fish and the local vegetables. However the attention to detail for the price could be better. The prime rib ordered rare was definitely medium if not well done and VERY fatty. Fat is lovely but too much is inedible. The halibut special seared with mustard and spices was excellent. The oysters Rockefeller was very good. The side stripe shrimp special had some issues with super large shrimp with the vein still in... some were also definitely "mushy" compared to the others ...

The desserts were fabulous. I gave this an excellent last year but this year there were just too many minor things like no olives in the martini that was ordered.... no huge deal but it added up to a less than excellent rating. They were not that busy so I think the explanation is not being overwhelmed as much as a lack of attention. We did plan to eat there multiple times since we stayed in a local B and B just down the road but instead for the rest of the trip we drove onto the spit-- see my reviews of Captain Patties and others..

Box Elder, South Dakota
“Accommodating waitress made my day!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

After a ride on the ferry from Valdez to Whittier, and a drive to Homer I arrived tired and hungry. The Homestead was recommended by our innkeeper, so we were eager to try it out.

The menu choices were typical of the restaurants we have frequented in Alaska, and the prices were a bit higher than average.

M selected the halibut special and I selected the duck. The waitress specifically stated that the food is prepared with the customer's tastes in mind. I cannot eat spicy food, so she assured me that my meal would not be spicy.

She was absolutely correct. Nothing spicy hot. However, my rice and beans were luke-warm by the time my dish was served. Everything else on the plate was fine. When I mentioned this to the waitress, she assured me that she would bring a side dish of piping hot rice and beans, which she did. It was delicious, as was the rest of my meal.

We do not eat bread, so we cannot comment from first-hand experience. However, I overheard someone at a nearby table say how good the bread was.

Any dieter would be very happy with the portions. I was surprised to see so few veggies on my plate.

I would recommend checking out the road repair schedule for the remainder of summer 2014 on East End Road. We waited 10 minutes in traffic due to road construction. Give yourself ample time to wait for traffic so that you are on time for your reservation.

Louisville, Kentucky
“A culinary adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We make a point to travel to the Homestead whenever we visit Alaska. Bar none the best King Crab ever! The claws are the size of a toddler's hand and the legs are so big they hang over the plate like someone dangling their legs off a dock. And then there are the shaker margaritas... Oh my. Every visit offers something unique. This time it was the flash fried Brussel sprouts that melt in your mouth. If seafood is not your thing the prime rib is incredible. Everything from the salads to the jalepeno bread is an epicurean sensation. Watch out for the bears. On our last visit they too were drawn to the Homestead.

Munich, Germany
“The biggest and best King Crab Legs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Very nice Restaurant, a little bit out of town.
The food was very good - we went there two times in a row, because we liked it so much.
One evening I had the Alaskan King Crab Legs - they were the biggest ones I had ever seen. Very fresh and great taste.
The second evening fresh salmon - which was also great.
Nice waitresses - good service.
The prices may be a little on the high side, but nevertheless I would go there again.

Homer, Alaska, United States
“Over priced, light on portions, OK food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We try to avoid going there as much as possible since we are locals. But we have some family members who insist only because it is close enough to their house that they think the Troopers won't catch them on the way home after a couple glasses of wine..
We usually eat before we go there since the plate loads are rather light and the prices rather high. Even an appetizer plate is going to cost you at least $15 and the main dinners are going to run you around $28 to $45 per person before you have any drinks. We have noticed that east-coast tourist and European tourist do not eat nearly as much as western folks, so maybe it is enough for them. The food is pretty good in general, particularly since Homer does not really have any outstanding places to eat, but don't plan on being full unless you want to part with lots of cash.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alex C

Been to The Homestead Restaurant? Share your experiences!