“Excellent family kayak”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent family kayak”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We kayaked with sea otters, while bald eagles swooped down to pluck fish from the ocean near our boats. True North folks were very professional, knowledgeable and fun.

Visited July 2013

Redwood City, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My friend, my 2 yo and I went out on a half day trip with Carlin (sp?) and it was absolutely wonderful! The trip was perfect, Carlin was very knowledgeable, and the area where we kayaked was stunning. I definitely would recommend this company if you have any plans to kayak in Homer.

Visited July 2013
Hartford, Connecticut
“One of my best memories”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Seward for five days hiking, exploring and kayaking. We signed up for a day trip to Aialik glacier. We had an incredible time!
The Kayak Adventure staff is amazing. They were well trained, attentive, and very knowledgeable. They were able to answer all of our questions and we felt that we were in good hands.
The water taxi trip to Aialik bay was one of my favorite parts of the trip. The taxi captain takes you to all the whale viewing hot spots on the way to Aialik Bay. You end up going to all the same locations that the expensive large crowded whale watching ships go. The only difference is that you are one of 12 people on a boat. We saw pods of orca, humpback, puffins, sea lions, harbor seals, Dall porpoises, and the Aialik glacier!!

An Incredible day! It wouldn't have been possible without Kayak Adventures!

Midway, Utah
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great adventures in Homer”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

As a couple, we did the full day tour that was a hike combined with kayaking. We had great weather and a great guide. The hike was to a glacier lake and the kayak was around Yukon island with the ferrying in between. We saw porcupine, sea otter, harbor seal, tons of star fish and sea stars, jellyfish, oyster catcher, puffin, murre, kittiwake, guillemot and eagles! An amazing day!

Spokane, Washington
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great adventure well planned and exactly what we paid for.”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We took the Ultimate Tour package offered by True North. We saw a ton and experienced much that could not have been achieved by trying to do this on our own. The day started with a boat ride across Kachemak Bay to a Spit of land which we were dropped off on by the boat. The boat ride was comfortable and informative. The hike along the spit was interesting as the tide was low and therefore we had to walk along lots of loose beach gravel/rocks and drift wood. This hike was to the trail head for our hike up to Grewingk Lake and Glacier. We did this trip on a morning in June when rain was in the forecast and the temps were in the mid to low 50’s. I mention this because dressing for this trip was a challenge as we did not want to be cold, hot, or wet incase it rained. LAYERS…was the key and the other key? Mosquito spray! Bring it, use it, it will save your entire trip…also…a hat because as I quickly learned…mosquitos can bite and sting your skull. The trail head started in a very lush forrest with an outhouse at the trail head. the path was well marked, but we were glad to have a guide. The incline was minimal on the way to the lake, but much more treacherous on the Saddle trail back to meet the boat in Halibut Cove. We did not see any wild animals but we saw a LOT of bear and wolverine scat along the way so they were around…just didn’t see them. The terrain was very different as we went from new growth forrest to old growth to the basin that had not yet grown from where the glacier retreated. The temperature near the lake and the glacier must have dropped by 10-20 degrees which was welcome as we got warm on our hike out there. This was a wonderful trip that was definitely worth the money as it was a new adventure for my wife and I in this part of the world. When we were picked up by the boat again, we traversed over to Yukon Island where the kayaks were waiting for us. They don’t mention this in the description, but you can leave your lunch or anything you don’t need on the hike on the boat so you don’t have to carry it. When we got to Yukon Island, we sat on the beach and enjoyed the lunch that we bought. (TIP: not much open at 7am in Homer, so if you need to be there at 7:30am to meet your guide, get your lunch the night before) We enjoyed our picnic on the beach and then got the instructions on how to operate the kayaks. They provided good quality gear and it fit me well ( I am 6’1” and weigh about 230 FYI). The kayaks were of good quality, had rudders to turn... the paddles were light weight fiberglass. I am used to more of a sit-on-top type of Ocean Kayak and these were much more narrow, but as we paddled around we got used to the balance. The double person kayaks were supposed to be more stable, but I wanted to take pictures of my wife and therefore decided to get singles instead. The kayak ride took about 3 hours exploring the rocky coast and other rocky points in the area. We had NO wind at all and the waters were calm, it couldn’t have been more perfect weather. We saw eagles, otters, jellyfish, seals and lots of different birds too. The same boat picked us back up on the beach right on time and everything worked wonderfully.
We got exactly what we paid for. We are used to some of the services of ROW Adventure and this wasn’t quite to their quality, but that was ok. This is not a cheap trip, but would have been MUCH more trying to coordinate it all on our own without the package offered from True North. Our guide was young, and very very nice, but lacked a TON of knowledge about the area, which was a little disappointing, but she did a very good job. She seemed more comfortable with the Kayak portion of the trip, but provided nice guidance to us the entire day. I am not sure how many people can go on the Ultimate tour at any one time, but this trip was just my wife and I with the guide. When we got done, we were tired. It was a long day, but well worth the trip. Definitely try this if you are looking for adventure, True North was truly a lot of fun!

Visited June 2013

Been to True North Kayak Adventures? Share your experiences!