“Bed bugs”

Best Western Bidarka Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Homer
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Been here a few times previously and was always pretty clean, visited in June and sketchy staff up front........"girl asked me if I was a cop?"

Awoke at 2 am being bitten by fleas or bedbugs.....7 year old sleeping in separate bed had bites all over legs and perineum.

Not happy with this place. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jakaldoc
Douglas J, General Manager at Best Western Bidarka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I would like to start with an apology for you not being satisfied with your stay. However we have had no reports of any bed bug or other infestation at our hotel in Years! You did not report this incident to our front desk at the time of the incident or at the time of departure. All of our mattresses and pillows are encased to further prevent bugs from taking up residence in our rooms. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff are also all required to take and pass a nationally recognized bedbug program to work here. We take pests very seriously and keep a watchful eye on our rooms to try and prevent an incident from happening. With Bed bugs being hitch hikers there is no way to say that we will not get them but are very proactive in trying to prevent an occurrence from happening. Again we do not have bed bugs or fleas!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Excellent stay with excellent service. The room was comfortable and the overall cleanliness of the hotel was excellent. I try not to be too picky and look for safe and clean and this location way exceeded my expectations. The staff was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Douglas J, General Manager at Best Western Bidarka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed Homer on your visit.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Slipped and fell in the bathroom, and both guests spent the first night in the emergency room of the local hospital. The room was noisy with a noisy, unruly child next door, also. No elevator, so we could not enjoy the free breakfast in the dining room like anyone else, due to our disabilities. If the room is wheelchair accessible, I highly recommend they supply a cheap, rubber backed bath rug for guests, so they won't slip on the way out of the tub!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rita C

I am very sorry to hear of your slip and fall. All our tub/showers have the bath mats installed and all the tile is slip resistant. I do like your idea of a rubber mat outside of the tub/shower and will look into getting some for our disabled guests in the future. We do give the option of bringing our disabled guests their breakfast or having it served in another room in our front office building on the first floor.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Motel was clean, staff helpful, but was a little overpriced. motel was clean, staff helpful, beds were comfortable. breakfast was good and served early so we could make fishing trip. motel was clean and very well located for our trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael A

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you enjoyed Homer.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had no problem with the room itself. The room was clean and modern. The beds were comfy. The room was a little too warm. The free breakfast was a definite plus with lots of breakfast choices. The first night of our stay was fine. The real problem was the second night. We were awakened at 1 a.m. by a very LOUD drunk man who was screaming and ranting at the top of his lungs. He was cursing constantly and making threats to another person (perhaps on the phone as I didn't hear anyone yelling back at him). His angry tirade went on for 3 hours! He was sounding very threatening and sounded like he could be violent, so I called the front desk. They said the only thing they could do was to call and ask him to be quiet, but I had to make sure which room it was coming from first. I asked if they had security or anyone the front desk could call to check on what was going on, as it sounded like it could be dangerous. They said there was no one, but if I was sure which room, she would call them. I told them that someone needed to check on the violent drunk man, as I felt the police may need to be called (the drunk man was making threats). They said I could call the police if I wanted to. It was in the middle of the night, and I didn't want to wake my son up to find the local police phone number. I really feel that management should have been called and actions been taken for the safety of the surrounding room. This man was beyond drunk and was ranting and making threats for 3 hours! I was nervous for my safety and the safety of those in the surrounding rooms. I think the front desk may have called the room, because after a few curse words and ranting, the guy finally calmed down (or perhaps passed out). It was really crazy! I think Best Western should improve their handling of drunks and dangerous people on their grounds. I felt hotel staff should have taken some effort to get an employee out to assess the situation instead of leaving it in the hands of other customers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AnchorageMelissa
Douglas J, General Manager at Best Western Bidarka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry to hear another guest caused a problem for you and your family. The desk clerk that night did contact the problem guest. He said he was very sorry for causing a disturbance and he would calm down. It does sound like that is what happened. Our policy is to first contact the guest in question and try to resolve the problem. If that does not work we call the police to come and assist with the situation. We have a very good relationship with the police department and response is timely when we have needed them. Again I am sorry another guest disturbed your time us and hope you will consider us for your next visit to Homer.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

If your on the Kenai Peninsula this hotel is a good choice. nice large rooms with coffee and all the ammonites. A free breakfast coupon worth $ 15.00 to use at the restaurant on the premises . I like a 2nd floor (top floor) room. nice and quite, no elevator good exercise. Ask for manager special rate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Neil S

Thank you for your business. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I've been staying at this hotel for over thirty years. This is the only place I would stay in Homer, Alaska. Has the amenities of the big city at the little town at the end of the road.... Not far from the harbor, and convenient to good restaurants...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David R

Thank you for your many years of repeat business. We hope to see you again soon.