“Great place to stay in Juneau”

Juneau International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Juneau
Juneau International Hostel
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We found this hostel perfect for our sea kayak trip to Juneau. Really reasonable price plus you do one chore which is very easy. The hostel was very clean and comfortable. The policies of no alcohol and a 11pm curfew made it very safe and quiet unlike some hostels I've stayed in. There was a mix of single travelers and families. Hostel atmosphere totally depends on who is staying and we found it to be filled with nice people. It is located up a big hill so I rented a car because we had big duffels of camping gear and a car is nice to explore the valley. We also walked to town most times so it's a reasonable walk downtown. The women at the reception desk were helpful. Overall, we enjoyed the 3 days we stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kilimama

Reviewed 1 August 2013

It's wonderfully located in downtown Juneau only steps from the Russian church, Rainbow Foods and some trails. And the rates CANNOT BE BEAT ANYWHERE. It's clean, safe and quiet. I"d like to give it 5 stars, and actually it deserves 3.5 largely of the price but it lacks soul.
The 9-5 lockout, 11pm lockout (so much for enjoying the summer midnight sun) and gender specific dorms made me feel 14 again. One day my wife was ill and we slept in the park bc we had nowhere else to go.
Most hostels are beehives of activity, energy, information and life, which is why we stay in them. We can afford to pay more and are glad to otherwise. Perhaps it was the crew who were in at the time, but the staff (who were efficient but remote) didn't engage the hostellers, and it was eerily quiet unenergetic the 2 days and nights we were there.
Charge me more, treat me like an adult, inject some programming and this place should and could rock.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mt N
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have never written a bad review and have traveled all over the world but I feel very strongly that other travelers should be forewarned as to what they are about to experience here. Upon arrival my friend and I (two quiet 40 something women) where treated with rudeness and outright hostility for reasons that are unknown to us. Even though we booked and paid months in advance, there was a problem with our reservation. There where 4 ill behaved and loud screaming children ( all 7 and under) running around the common area. The staff women was more concerned about our chore list assignment, aggressively reading the rules to us then respectfully asking the parents if they could provide some structure to the children. She in fact threw the linen on to the counter while we where signing in and abruptly walked away. I can't recall a time when I've experienced such overt rudeness.
The price is very tempting but the environment is very tense and the location inconvenient. This was such a disappointment in comparison to the numerous other hostels where I have stayed. Can't wait to leave.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Goldiegrl
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I am a Southeast, AK local and have stayed at the hostel numerous times-with my family (in summer), and Girl Scouts and sports teams (in winter). The staff is always welcoming and accommodating. They have very high expectations regarding cleanliness and house rules which makes for a very safe and enjoyable stay. The price is an unbelievable value. Large cabinets, fridge, and two stoves make cooking a breeze and very easy to share the commons. I would highly recommend. The hostel closes from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and shuts the doors at 11 p.m. in the summer. If that doesn't
work for you, better book a $200.00 hotel! The Juneau International Hostel is a lovely, safe place for singles and family travelers alike. It is in a wonderful location downtown-on the bus line, but would be most convenient to rent a car if you plan to do any exploring in the Valley.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank KellyVberg
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have visit Juneau numerous times and always stay at the Youth Hostel. The hostel has a friendly, warm and safe atmosphere. I feel very comfortable at the hostel and am treated very well. I have stayed in many youth hostels and would recommend highly recommend it. Remember, the hostel is closed from 9 am to 5 pm.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights and I was very positively surprised by the cleanliness of the hostel. Some members of the staff are really friendly, others less... The building is very conveniently located in the city (10 minutes walk from the bus station and any other excursion departure). It has a super big and well-equipped kitchen. Bathroom is shared but clean and spacious. Rooms are excellent for the price paid, even if the beds are not so comfortable. Excellent deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Cleanest, best run hostel I've ever been to. Better than any of the ones I've used in Europe. Large living room, large fully stocked kitchen. More adult patrons. Short walk down the hill to town. Beds are not five star, but for a hostel, they were fine. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo