“Average hotel, Excellent staff”
Review of Prospector Hotel

Prospector Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We want to give a specific thank you to Steve, Amanda and Jennifer. After escaping the Alaskan Hotel and Bar at one am Steve helped us get settled and even called us upon arrival to our room to see if we needed anything more and that we were comfortable. Amanda and Jennifer took the time to give us great recommendations for fun and food. We especially enjoyed Rockwell's, a restaurant that had good food and good service for a reasonable price.
Thank you for the excellent service!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 June 2013

When you visit Alaska you are probably not seeking a 5 Star Spa experience. Let's face it -- Alaska is still a wilderness frontier. When you visit Alaska you are probably thinking about fishing, hunting, whale watching, hiking, and just enjoying one of the greatest outdoor experiences, ever. Juneau is pretty small for a State Capital, and is being overrun by cruise ships, as many as five per day (12,500 new tourists daily, in a city with a total population that's not much greater), But remember, these tourists are getting back on their ship at day's end, not seeking high quality hotel accommodations (or even restaurants). So, there is not much to select from in Juneau if you are spending the night. For me, this was the tail end of a long business trip so I was there only for two nights. Prospector seemed to be as good as it gets, which is more or less just the basics. Rooms were clean, with old-school wool blankets and a clean sheet (not quilts or protectors). Bathrooms have been updated, carpeting fairly new, overall an acceptable solution for a couple of nights in Juneau. Don't come for the hotels, Alaska is an amazing place to visit -- but consider this property if you are in Juneau, it was just fine for a couple of nights. The staff, however, was great --- they love Alaska and were very helpful.

Room Tip: Facing the water is the most beautiful, but the rooms are just 15 feet off the four lane highway and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The outside needs some sprucing up, it lacks curb appeal. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The rooms had a microwave and refrigerator which was nice. The views were great. Looked out on the channel and Douglas mountains. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The maids washed out our coffee pot every day. There was no dresser in our room and as we staying for 8 days I didn't want to live out of my suitcase. I asked for more hangers and they gave me about 30. More than was needed. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Juneau99801, Owner at Prospector Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property. The new GM Ken Hill is actively working with the staff daily to exceed our guests expectations. The Executive Room that you stayed in is one of my favorites as guests can watch all the activity on the waterfront. We removed the chest of drawers/tv cabinets when we put the flat screen tv's on the wall. We are considering other drawer options but haven't made a decision yet. We are planning on sprucing up the outside this summer if it ever comes for more than one day. We had snow days into mid May this year! Thanks again for staying at the Prospector Hotel.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We go to Juneau every 3 months to stretch our legs a bit and do things we can't do where we live(Petersburg, pop. @2000, on an island inaccessible by bridge). We have stayed at the Prospector every time in Juneau and have no reason to change.
The rooms are roomy and clean, with comfortable beds and a fridge and microwave. The water in the shower gets real hot real fast and the TV works. What more do you want from a hotel room?
Yeah, the lobby may be a little "tacky", but it's comfortable. This is not a new hotel folks, it's been there for a while.
The outside isn't perfect, but it's well-maintained.
The restaurant is excellent, as is the lounge. The lounge area has a bunch of puffy couches with oversized pillows on them, where you can chill with a drink by the faux fireplace and watch TV, or order dinner, or whatever.
The front desk staff and managers have never been anything less than thoroughly professional and extremely helpful. We have to give a big shout out to Shawn and Sarah for making our most recent stay even better by recommending some really cool places to eat and go, that we haven't previously hit.
I have read complaints about street noise, but what do you expect? It is on a street. It never makes any sense to me when people complain about outside noise coming in to their hotel room. Sound travels through glass, bricks, plaster and just about everything else. Most hotels aren't soundproofed booths. Who'd want to stay in one of those?
This hotel is not "downtown", but it's close enough.
We'll be back in August.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Also, Thank You for being a repeat customer from SE. We do have a lot of guests who travel to Juneau monthly or several times a year and they know they can find a caring staff, soft bed, good sized room, good location and comfortable restaurant and lounge at the Prospector Hotel. I agree with you that we have a fine staff and I will pass along your compliments to Sara and Sean. We look forward to your next visit and please feel free to tell your friends in Petersburg and elsewhere about the Prospector Hotel in Juneau, AK.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Room is adequate w/ fridge and microwave. Right on busy road, so noisy all night (even in Juneau!). TV reception quit, that hotel could not fix. Their solution was to leave it broken until after I left. They had other rooms. I didn't make a big deal out of it, as I was using my ipad anyway. But bad service. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and recent stay. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't up to your expectation. I understand that the tv broke and the staff wasn't able to repair. I'm glad they offered you another room with a working tv, I will discuss the option of switching out the tv instead of offering to relocate you. Many of our rooms are off and away from the busy street-Egan Drive. They are typically mountain view rooms with room numbers ending in 01 thru 08, many of our long time guests that aren't interested in the spectacular water view and activities will book these rooms as they are quieter and cooler-not facing directly West into the sun (occasionally as it is a rain forest). I agree we have an outstanding location out of the busyness and noise of downtown, but close enough 2-3 blocks depending on rout, that everything is easily accessible.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Booked this hotel between ferry rides to Anchorage. The pictures online looked good...the price was steep. $109 a night but they do accept pets so we decided to book a room. We arrived and noticed the lobby area was ok...tacky cheap furniture...but it looked good. Got are room key and were told the pet rooms are downstairs...the room was filthy, hairs in the tub and sink, musty smoke smell, curtains had some form of goo on them (didn't want to investigate). My wife tried to dry her hair and the hair dryer in the bathroom died after 2 seconds. Did not meet any of our expectations except the fact that the room had a bed...if you are looking for a quality hotel this is not it. If you just want a place to drop you stuff off and don't care about cleanliness then this is your place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Nebraoloraskan

Thank you for your recent stay. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't great. I have talked to the GM and housekeeping about this issue and they are working hard to improve service at all times. I wish you would have gone straight back to the front desk after finding the room in that state and requested another room, asking the desk to preview first. We would have relocated you or offered to clean the room while you take a quick walk around. I can only think that one of our trainee housekeepers had that room or they closed the door before the room was cleaned and ready to be rented to a new guest. We are working hard to make sure this does not happen in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Three of us cousins, all in our 60s, shared a very nice suite. We had a beautiful view across the water, 2 TVs, many amenities and very nice accommodations. We didn't use any of the hotel's offerings (bar or restaurant) but I did use the free internet off the lobby and it was nice to have. The location is within walking distance of the shopping district and many attractions. The staff were very gracious. If you're used to luxury it might fall short but to me it was at least 4 stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positive review! Those suites are sweet. With the wet bar, mini refrig and table chair you can have a comfortable get together with a couple people and still have room to spare. I enjoyed your picture on the tripadvisor site. It also posted a picture of the Westmark Inn, must have been a different trip as it was sunny and I don't remember any sunshine in February.... Thanks again for your business and positive review.