“Should be called Paper-thin Walls Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Prospector Hotel

Prospector Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Homer, Alaska
“Should be called Paper-thin Walls Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

I write this review as I sit here awake at 0036 in the morning. Before I went to bed, I could hear the TV in the rooms beside and above me...to the point I could mute my TV and still watch along on the same channel. Now, I listen to my neighbor snore to his heart's content...so loudly I cannot sleep. The road outside demonstrates the same remarkable acoustics. Thus, I have noise generators on three sides of my room...it could be four, but I don't know if I have a neighbor on the other side of me. I know it isn't my neighbors fault he snores louder than any human on the planet, but I hear it as if he were in my room. I cannot sleep and that is why I am giving a horrible review on the "Rooms" portion of these remarks. I have work in the morning and I will be worse off having stayed in the Prospector. UGH! I just want to sleep, but it is simply too loud all around me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

Before detailing my family's stay at the Prospector, I should clarify that no amount of money can purchase a quality hotel room near downtown Juneau. No recent remodels have been performed at any downtown hotels, allowing all to comfortably step down to the same low bar with no effect on occupancy...there's just nowhere better to go.

We stayed in a 4th floor suite, with a sitting area and two queen beds in the bedroom area. The view of Gastineau Channel was the best part of our stay. A close second was the blazing wireless speed, with no interruptions or malfunctions, though the speed may have been helped along by a new laptop.

The stained industrial-grade carpet was the first thing I noticed upon entering the room. The second was the chill in the room -- cranking the heat to maximum did not effect any change in the temperature of the room during our three-day stay; thankfully, we weren't in it much. Though there were two televisions in the room, there was only one remote control, which was not fully functional. The shower curtain was suspended from hooks that continually fell off the rod when the curtain was moved -- fun! The shower water temperature fluctuated profoundly (read: intermittently scalding), presumably due to antiquated plumbing and other guests -- oh, I don't know -- using water. I'm not certain if this is standard in hotels nowadays, but there was no fitted sheet on the mattress...just a flat sheet that delightfully came loose every time someone moved in the bed -- super conducive to a great night's sleep!

I'd like to get all indignant about taking my money elsewhere, but living in Southeast Alaska and knowing a number of people who have stayed in downtown Juneau hotels, I can tell you that no hotel is significantly better than the Prospector. If you are not arriving on the ferry with your own RV appointed to your liking, just negotiate the cheapest rate you can. I got a government rate, which was $20 off the regular rate, and no one at the desk asked to see my government I.D.

The restaurant food and service is decent. There is plenty of parking. The hotel is convenient to downtown Juneau.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Juneau hotels

Juneau
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Prospector and have stayed there several times as do my colleagues. The rooms are roomy, clean, well appointed, and the staff is really nice. The hotel restaraunt is very good as well, I've gone to eat there even when I'm not staying there.

What galls me about this place is it would be Juneau's best value bar-none if it was for its absolute, irresponsible, complete lack of care in maintaining the other parts of the hotel outside of the room and restaraunt. If you stay at the Prospector you can expect (at random) for the entirety of your stay: elevators all broken, hot water to go out, car to go slipping around the parking lot from lack of snow maintainance, wifi or internet to disappear completely, and mice running across your feet on the way to your room.

I know that makes the hotel sound really bad, but its not. I still recommend it to colleagues because of all the really good things about this hotel. I just warn them "something that will make you go absolutely crazy, where you will tear your hair out screaming 'hotel can a hotel not...(insert random crazy thing)?', may happen while you are staying there. Relax and work around it because there's a lot worse places you could be staying."

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Kennewick, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

The management of this hotel doesn't read these reviews to be sure as I read it recounted my three day stay except for the clerk that checked us into room 311 she was great got us started on tours etc. The day of our departure our wake up call did not happen and we found that our phone wasn't working on the second day of our three day stay The only way we got the clerk to get off her cell phone was to make a long distance call from the desk phone then she had time to fix the problem with a new phone The directions were not on the phone but the message light was blinking as friends had been trying to reach us. The room was clean and ok for an older hotel and we had a view of the bay. Coffee was served in the lobby only one morning of our stay but each day there was a newspaper.

• Liked — It was close to the lobby
  • Disliked — The service at the desk and in the restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, CA USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

I'll elaborate, at night you get to hear everything happening in every room on your floor, the walls are paper thin. It actually made for great entertainment.

The rooms otherwise are OK with good internet access and I'm not sure what to call the decor, but luckily it wasn't falling apart.

The staff seemed really on edge all the time like they were expecting to be complained to. The strangest thing I had ever seen in 41 years of traveling was that the front desk was mostly manned by a phone. While there weren't any problems getting ahold of someone I had never seen this before.

The location is decent and we did have a good view of the waterfront.

The one thing that I did love about this place was its restaurant, we had dinner one night and the service was amazing along with the food. Breakfast was also pretty good with friendly staff.

It just seems with a minimal amount of work and the hotel staff attempting to learn from the restaurant staff, this place could actually be good. For now, its a place to go for one or two nights at most.

Besides the hotel's restaurant, The Hanger was also fun with good food and wasn't part of the cruise ship travesty on the waterfront.

The Tram is also totally worth it, there are some very scenic hiking trails.

• Liked — Onsite Restaurant
  • Disliked — Hearing conversations 3 rooms over
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank typhoonsurf
portland oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

The front desk was unmanned when we arrived. The woman who finally came was rude. Towels and tub stopper were missing, both under lock and key, keys not available in the hotel. I left medications in our room, but called before our cruise left that evening. I was told it was not possible to search the room and nothing had been turned in. The rude desk person took my name and address. When I returned home, no meds had been sent to me. I called the hotel and had a pleasant conversation with Rebecca, who said she had been holding the meds hoping I would call. The rude person never kept my address, obviously. Rebecca sent them via overnight Fed Ex, and I had the meds the next day, 10 days after I called to report them missing. This hotel is unsatisfactory at any price.

1 Thank elynorfmcpeak
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

We stayed eight days.

The service in this hotel was terrible. For example, room service asked as we left the room for a day of sightseeing, "are you done?"

Additionally: they (room service) walked in to clean, and did not knock.

We called the front desk repeatedly for a wake up call: no answer, for at least one hour from 9-10 p.m.

In the evening the front desk was rarely staffed consistently.

At over $150 a night this hotel was a profound disappointment.

On a positive note, restaurant was stellar good value and service.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple