“Nice staff, ok accommodation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prospector Hotel

Prospector Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Richfield, MN
“Nice staff, ok accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

This hotel is ok. I consider it about a two star. It was clean and reasonably quiet. The staff was very nice and helpful making it feel a lot more comfortable. The restaurant on site was also pretty good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fort Walton Beach FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Prospector for one night in a standard room before our cruise and 2 nights in a suite after the cruise. The roaches and noise must've been on vacation! The place was spotless, the only noise was from the highway (close your windows and you don't hear it). The bathrooms were marble floored, the tub/shower was marble, the carpet was clean, flat screen tvs in bedroom and living room, comfortable furniture. The day desk staff ladies were rather vacuous, but Steve, on duty the night we arrived LATE and exhausted had a big smile on his face and was every so helpful and friendly. He was also on duty the last 2 nights and the early morning we left and never was anything but gracious and friendly and patient. Gotta warn you: if you get off your cruise before check-in time and you want to ask if your room could possibly be ready so you can go ahead and check in early - don't take no for an answer if a female answers the phone. The answer will be "check-in is 3:00". Tell her that you have a reservation and ask her if she'll check to see if YOUR room is ready for an early check-in. In other words, force her to check because the hotel is NOT full and you just may get lucky. We did and after 7 days of fun and frolic on a small boat, we were able to check right in and rest. You gotta ask because the employee pool is small in Juneau and who knows who'll you'll get at the desk. They're not unfriendly. I would say they're just used to dealing with rude tourists who expect 5-star service in a town with only 2 1/2 star hotels. Get used to that. This is Juneau, not New York City. Appreciate what you came to Juneau to find and see. Don't be an elite snob and you'll be fine and treated fine.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kgeorge1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I stayed at the Prospector Hotel overnight on business. Upon entering I was greeted by a sloopy desk clerk dressed in torn jeans chewing gum who could not smile to save her life. I got to my room and was grossed out. The room is big but that's the only good thing to say. Dirty carpet, gross old bed spreads (hello, duvets!!) Stained furniture, bugs in the bathroom. So gross. The hotel has thin walls. The only good things, the restaurant is pretty good and the TV was good. Upon check out greeted by even more unfriendly creepy employees. Also I put my room service try out at 2pm and at 10am the next day it was still outside. The hotel is just nasty.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Juneau hotels

yukon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We brought an Oldtimer hockey team to Juneau last year. A room quote was given to us over the phone and when we checked in , we of course gave our visa #'s. When it came to checking out, the price of rooms had jumped anywhere from 10-20 $. Our reps asked to speak to the manager, but the manager was nowhere to be seen or found, and we had a plane to catch. Upon arriving home we tried both phone and e-mail and not once did the manager get back to us.
This year we are once again bringing a Hockey team to Juneau. That's 20 rooms for 3 nites, and whatever 2 teams of hockey players eat and drink. We are not staying at the Prospector !!

• Stayed February 2009
      Sleep Quality
Homer, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

I write this review as I sit here awake at 0036 in the morning. Before I went to bed, I could hear the TV in the rooms beside and above me...to the point I could mute my TV and still watch along on the same channel. Now, I listen to my neighbor snore to his heart's content...so loudly I cannot sleep. The road outside demonstrates the same remarkable acoustics. Thus, I have noise generators on three sides of my room...it could be four, but I don't know if I have a neighbor on the other side of me. I know it isn't my neighbors fault he snores louder than any human on the planet, but I hear it as if he were in my room. I cannot sleep and that is why I am giving a horrible review on the "Rooms" portion of these remarks. I have work in the morning and I will be worse off having stayed in the Prospector. UGH! I just want to sleep, but it is simply too loud all around me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

Before detailing my family's stay at the Prospector, I should clarify that no amount of money can purchase a quality hotel room near downtown Juneau. No recent remodels have been performed at any downtown hotels, allowing all to comfortably step down to the same low bar with no effect on occupancy...there's just nowhere better to go.

We stayed in a 4th floor suite, with a sitting area and two queen beds in the bedroom area. The view of Gastineau Channel was the best part of our stay. A close second was the blazing wireless speed, with no interruptions or malfunctions, though the speed may have been helped along by a new laptop.

The stained industrial-grade carpet was the first thing I noticed upon entering the room. The second was the chill in the room -- cranking the heat to maximum did not effect any change in the temperature of the room during our three-day stay; thankfully, we weren't in it much. Though there were two televisions in the room, there was only one remote control, which was not fully functional. The shower curtain was suspended from hooks that continually fell off the rod when the curtain was moved -- fun! The shower water temperature fluctuated profoundly (read: intermittently scalding), presumably due to antiquated plumbing and other guests -- oh, I don't know -- using water. I'm not certain if this is standard in hotels nowadays, but there was no fitted sheet on the mattress...just a flat sheet that delightfully came loose every time someone moved in the bed -- super conducive to a great night's sleep!

I'd like to get all indignant about taking my money elsewhere, but living in Southeast Alaska and knowing a number of people who have stayed in downtown Juneau hotels, I can tell you that no hotel is significantly better than the Prospector. If you are not arriving on the ferry with your own RV appointed to your liking, just negotiate the cheapest rate you can. I got a government rate, which was $20 off the regular rate, and no one at the desk asked to see my government I.D.

The restaurant food and service is decent. There is plenty of parking. The hotel is convenient to downtown Juneau.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Juneau
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Prospector and have stayed there several times as do my colleagues. The rooms are roomy, clean, well appointed, and the staff is really nice. The hotel restaraunt is very good as well, I've gone to eat there even when I'm not staying there.

What galls me about this place is it would be Juneau's best value bar-none if it was for its absolute, irresponsible, complete lack of care in maintaining the other parts of the hotel outside of the room and restaraunt. If you stay at the Prospector you can expect (at random) for the entirety of your stay: elevators all broken, hot water to go out, car to go slipping around the parking lot from lack of snow maintainance, wifi or internet to disappear completely, and mice running across your feet on the way to your room.

I know that makes the hotel sound really bad, but its not. I still recommend it to colleagues because of all the really good things about this hotel. I just warn them "something that will make you go absolutely crazy, where you will tear your hair out screaming 'hotel can a hotel not...(insert random crazy thing)?', may happen while you are staying there. Relax and work around it because there's a lot worse places you could be staying."

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business