“Avoid at all cost.”
Review of Prospector Hotel

Prospector Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 17 January 2011

There are many other accommodations in Juneau from hotels to bed and breakfasts, any experience would be better than the accommodations and customer service provided at the Prospector.
I had arranged for six employees of my organization to stay at the Prospector Hotel due to its location in Juneau. Upon the second day of their stay, three of the six woke up to sewage in their bathtubs. The three were initially told there were no other rooms available, something must have become available because a few hours later the three were moved into different rooms on a different floor. Perhaps I am out of line but at that point I expected the three individuals to receive an offer of some compensation for waking up to raw sewage in the bathtub of their rooms, this did not happen.
After receiving the credit card statement with the charges for the rooms it was clear my organization was overcharged, on top of that the charges were not broken down to make the allocations easier to decipher. I have been trying to reconcile the charges for two weeks with only a portion of the reimbursement accounted for. The general manager will not return my phone calls after many messages. Still no compensation for the ongoing trouble offered.
Needless to say the customer service and accommodations are subpar and should be avoided.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lstrick

Reviewed 28 December 2010

Hotel is clean, rooms are quite large, restaurant food very good and beer is the coldest in Juneau.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My wife and I travel often to the Junea area and have always stayed by the airport. Looking to make a change to a room in town we chose the Prospector. Our first night was OK, room was decent and staff friendly. We had made reservation a month and a half prior to our stay for the beginning and end of our trip. We specified on our reservation a room type of "Mountain Wing Room". The first night we were on the 5th floor looking out over the water and yes there were mountains. ON our second night, the return trip, we were issued a room that was located in the basement. The only view was that of a bush growing near the porthole window; the feel was like a dungeon. And access to the lobby was via stairs only. I asked for a room change explaining my reservation request and was told that they had no other rooms; they were sorry. I left and returned to a hotel close to the airport; great rrom. Too bad, in addition to the room we had planned to ear there as well. Instead, we ate dinner at the Twisted Fish and had a wonderful meal. The Prospector needs to get there stuff together.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I was apprehensive about staying at this hotel because of the other reviews on this page. I was so jaded, I asked to look at my room before I got my bags. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my huge suite. It was very clean including the bathroom. I had a beautiful view of the water and the cruise ships. I was within walking distance to shopping, food and other activities. I don't know why the reviews are so wrong, I can only wonder if the people work for another hotels. The outside of the building does not have much curb appeal, but many of the buildings in the area show the wear because of the weather Im was told. Anyway, please don't pay any attention to most of the other reviews, I stayed here for 3 days and 4 nights and saw no bugs or rodents. I experienced a nice checkin and talked with the front desk clerks every day. The walls are not any thinner than any other hotel I have stayed in and I travel a lot. It's not a 5 star, but a really nice hotel. I really enjoyed my stay and would stay there again and recommend it to others. Oh and the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This hotel is ok. I consider it about a two star. It was clean and reasonably quiet. The staff was very nice and helpful making it feel a lot more comfortable. The restaurant on site was also pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Prospector for one night in a standard room before our cruise and 2 nights in a suite after the cruise. The roaches and noise must've been on vacation! The place was spotless, the only noise was from the highway (close your windows and you don't hear it). The bathrooms were marble floored, the tub/shower was marble, the carpet was clean, flat screen tvs in bedroom and living room, comfortable furniture. The day desk staff ladies were rather vacuous, but Steve, on duty the night we arrived LATE and exhausted had a big smile on his face and was every so helpful and friendly. He was also on duty the last 2 nights and the early morning we left and never was anything but gracious and friendly and patient. Gotta warn you: if you get off your cruise before check-in time and you want to ask if your room could possibly be ready so you can go ahead and check in early - don't take no for an answer if a female answers the phone. The answer will be "check-in is 3:00". Tell her that you have a reservation and ask her if she'll check to see if YOUR room is ready for an early check-in. In other words, force her to check because the hotel is NOT full and you just may get lucky. We did and after 7 days of fun and frolic on a small boat, we were able to check right in and rest. You gotta ask because the employee pool is small in Juneau and who knows who'll you'll get at the desk. They're not unfriendly. I would say they're just used to dealing with rude tourists who expect 5-star service in a town with only 2 1/2 star hotels. Get used to that. This is Juneau, not New York City. Appreciate what you came to Juneau to find and see. Don't be an elite snob and you'll be fine and treated fine.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kgeorge1
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I stayed at the Prospector Hotel overnight on business. Upon entering I was greeted by a sloopy desk clerk dressed in torn jeans chewing gum who could not smile to save her life. I got to my room and was grossed out. The room is big but that's the only good thing to say. Dirty carpet, gross old bed spreads (hello, duvets!!) Stained furniture, bugs in the bathroom. So gross. The hotel has thin walls. The only good things, the restaurant is pretty good and the TV was good. Upon check out greeted by even more unfriendly creepy employees. Also I put my room service try out at 2pm and at 10am the next day it was still outside. The hotel is just nasty.