“Visit to get a good idea on how a hatchery operates.”

DIPAC's Macaulay Salmon Hatchery
Ranked #16 of 90 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Macaulay Salmon Hatchery Visitor's Center offers a unique variety of attractions & a truly Alaskan experience! Get a birds-eye-view of our outdoor hatchery operations while a local guide shares with you the fascinating life cycle of an Alaskan salmon and the inner workings of the hatchery. During the months of May and June, you will have the opportunity to see juvenile salmon prior to their release. Adult salmon start returning in Late June and continue through October. Bald Eagles and seals frequent the hatchery and provide a fantastic wildlife viewing opportunity. Once inside, explore our salt water aquariums displaying over 150 species of marine life, including touch-tank aquariums where you will have the chance to physically interact with local sea animals. Venture through our gift-shop where we make it easy to ship wild Alaskan salmon anywhere in the United States. Wow your taste buds when you take the opportunity to taste a variety of salmon samples such as: king salmon dip, salmon caviar, salmon jerky, & canned salmon. A fun, affordable, & educational experience for the whole family!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were fortunate enough to visit during the salmon run so that really put the whole process into perspective. The hatchery does require a small fee if you want to enter. Totally worth it though, there is enough information available to give you a good idea on how the operation and process works. There is a more detailed tour although we decided not to take it. It appears that tour gets you some behind the scenes access.

I would recommend stopping by if you are interested in migrating fish, and an operation hatchery, it is not out of the way and will not take up too much of your time.

1  Thank andyandsally

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I chose this visit for the men in our group but ended up enjoying it myself. It was fascinating to watch the salmon try to jump the fish ladder. We didn't have time to take the tour or go inside. My husband likes to fish so he enjoyed this visit. We rented a car for the day during our Princess cruise and included the fish hatchery as one of our stops.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here with our two daughters (17 & 19) and our 17 year old niece. Well worth the private small group tour. The information provided was very good, honest and straightforward. Not for the squeamish though.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Didn't think I'd be impressed as I've seen hatcheries before. Surprised by how they operate and the wonderful reproductive rate they achieve.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Huge salmon swimming up the ladders & in holding areas. Big glass aquarium inside and "touching pool" for kids. If you've never been to a hatchery tour take the $3 seven minute talk/tour. But if you can read the signs posted in and out of the building, you pretty much get all the info you need. Very fascinating, though and I recommend it.

2  Thank BirdingMaven