“Would have loved to see it but the silliness of your city stopped me”

The State Capitol Building
Book In Advance
More Info
US$149.00*
and up
Juneau Shore Excursion: Mendenhall Glacier, Whale-Watching Cruise and City Tour
Ranked #34 of 87 things to do in Juneau
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I wanted to get to downtown Juneau and just take a peak at what was going on. We had a 3 hour layover on the Alaska Maritime Highway. As it turns out, the only way to get to Juneau from the AMH terminal is via a $35 (one way) taxi ride. Bus service or other normal tourist friendly service are apparently being held for ransom. This has got to be one of the few cities in Alaska that doesn't want tourists to come to the city center and spend some money.

3  Thank JohntheLast

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The capitol is just a "ugly" former federal building, however, the real charm is on the inside. The inside tells and shows the history of Alaska's statehood. I learn and enjoyed my stop by the AK capitol.

2  Thank Josh W
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I didn't actually go into the building, so I don't know what the tour is like, if there is one. The bus driver on the way to one of our Juneau excursions said the Alaska State Capitol building was voted the ugliest capitol building in the U.S., and I don't hesitate to believe it when she pointed it out. It is UGLY. It's just a run-down square office building.

1  Thank ETO_Buff
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I enjoyed the knowledge of the person who gave the tour. I wish I got his name. He was very interesting and enjoyed sharing some of the stories behind the photos and surroundings in the chambers. A great tour to take for sure when in Juneau.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I used to give tours at the WY Capitol so I like to check out other capitol buildings when I can. I was absolutely shocked when we found the Alaska Capital building. Sadly, besides the pillars out front there is no indication this building is anything more than a regular office building.

1  Thank Monica_W1970