“Great fishing experience in Alaska”

Rum Runner Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Avoid the crowds, Rum Runner Charters specializes in affordable, private, premiere family and small group charters for both Whale Watching and Sport Fishing in some of the most beautiful wilderness and wildlife areas in South East Alaska. Cruise ship passengers and independent groups are welcome. Transportation is provided from your cruise ship or hotel. Local owned and operated for 25 years and going.
Martinez, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great fishing experience in Alaska”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Thank you, my family had a wonderful time fishing on the Rum Runner. We caught eleven salmon that day and were busy the entire time bringing one line or two sometimes at the same time. Fishing was great! We also loved experiencing the "bubble netting" the humpback whales do to gather fish up. What an experience to see approximately 12 whales at one time flying out of the ocean. Thank you Capt Chris and his mate Josh.

Visited August 2013

“Best Whale Watching Experience Anyone Could Hope For”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

When my family decided to go to Alaska the number 1 thing I wanted to do was go whale watching. After reading the outstanding reviews for Rum Runner we decided to give it a go, and are we ever glad that we did. Capt. Chris and his mate Josh are very knowledgeable and provide a very personal experience that I can't recommend highly enough. He picked us up from our cruise ship and took us to the marina, providing information and answering our questions along the way. When we boarded, he had some snacks ready for us and we headed out and immediately saw an eagle up close. Soon after we saw our first whale and we followed it for about 15 mins. Capt. Chris said there was more to see up ahead and he was certainly right. After spending some time observing Stellar Sea Lions, we spent an hour following a large pod of humpbacks around that had a calf with it. They surfaced many times and provided many great photo ops. Before continuing on with the tour, they surfaced one final time directly off the rear of the boat about 30 yards or so away. It scared the crap out of my father, who was relaxing peacufully, because they were so incredibly close. Totally awesome. After that Capt. Chris found a pod of porpoises that played with the boat for about 5-10 mins. I've never seen anything like it and it was quite an experience. Before returning to the marina we saw some seals from about 75 yards away but we still got some great shots.
After doing this tour, I would recommend doing the 4 hour tour that we selected because it gives you the maximum amount of opportunity to see wildlife. I'd also suggest a great camera with excellent zoom so that you can properly record to amazing things that you will be seeing.
When comparing this tour to the tours you can take on a cruise ship, there is no comparison. No long waits to board and disembark a larger boat, which will hold 100-200 people, and no having to wait your turn to try to see wildlife. On Capt. Chris' boat, every turn is your turn to see the sights and that can't be stated enough. The boat is smaller but it allows you to do so much more and have much more personal experience that you can't get on a larger boat (I know because I've taken a larger tour boat whale watching in the past.)

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Whale Watching at it's BEST !!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

If you want the BEST whale watching experience....This for sure is the one...Even though the weather was awful..it was beyond more than I could have ever wish for...Capt Chris and first mate Moon made it a day to remember...would I recommend this ???....U bet !!!!!!!!!! .I promise you will not be sorry!!!!!

Visited September 2013
Ruth,ms
“Are you ready to be WOWED!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

A camera cannot capture the beauty that myself, husband and four friends saw September 8,2013! Captain Chris and Moon took us on an adventure that we we probably never experience again! The four hours we spent together all I could say was"Wow"! I recommended this adventure to anyone and have already given Chris's card to my travel agent. And, again thanks again Captain Chris for sharing your knowledge and morning with us!

Visited September 2013
Barrie, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“the best whale watching in juneau”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

this was the best ever!! We were a family of 6 who had the privilege of being on Capt chris's boat with first mate Moon in late august 2013. Our grand kids aged 8 and 12 said it was the best excursion ever!!. Chris was so enthusiastic we just loved it all could not have done without Moon. We say so many hump back whales I thought we saw about 25 but Chris said more like 14 with many sightings. He knew them all because of their unique "flukes" he gave us a great lecture about whales. He is so knowledgeable and lots of fun to be with. We Chris and Moon A ++++ Highly recommend booking on your own for a private unique adventure!