“The Best Alaska Excursion”

Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Ranked #2 of 80 Tours in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: Gastineau Guiding has been offering small-group fully-guided wilderness experiences to Juneau travelers for over 20 years. Step into Alaska with a passionate and professional Certified Interpretive Guide. Our guiding mission is to provide each guest with a sense of wonder about this special place we call home. Our modern fleet of custom built safari vessels provides the best vantage for viewing and photographing marine wildlife - whale sightings are guaranteed. Join us on a specialty trip by land & sea tailored to your interests: Juneau's original - Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari; Tour of the Year - Alaska's Whales, Glaciers & Rainforest Trails; The science behind the scenery - Discover Alaska's Whales (Science Adventure). Guided rainforest hikes with glacier views and alpine treks for active visitors are also available. Custom Group Tours and Charters are also available for those traveling to Juneau independent of a cruise line.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The team at Gastineau have it all: the guides are exceptional - funny, warm and very knowledgable. I did a photo trip with them and they were very conversant with every kind of camera, had plenty of great tips for settings and angles and were helpful with guests of all skill levels. When it became clear there was a lot of activity in the water, the boat Captain readily agreed to extend our time so we could see more of the Orcas, whales and sea lions that were in abundance that day. They made a point of stopping at some secluded vantage points because of the photo opportunities they offered and all in all provided one of the best guided tour experiences I've had anywhere. I will go back to Gastineau every time I'm in Alaska

Write a ReviewReviews (2,454)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"nature walk"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked this tour through our Princess Cruise in early September and it was one of favorite memories of our entire vacation. I had been to Juneau before, but this excursion caught my eye and boy am I glad it did! Our guide was Hugh Carey - who taught me more about my camera in 1 hour than I had learned the 5 years I owned it.

My husband didn't bring a camera, and mine is a simple point-and-shoot. I don't know a lot about photography. But Hugh took the time to show me very cool settings I didn't even know I had! Not only did we see lots of whales - we got great shots! I also got some great iPhone video! My pics from that excursion are the highlight of my DVD! He gave me great, is simple tips on how to capture better images even on my iPhone!

Hugh took time with all of us, and was a pleasure to spend time with. He answered all our questions and the small group size made it extra fun. The boat is smaller with low windows so we could get really great shots. The glacier hike was also great with loads of great info, beautiful sights and pics along the way.

My husband spent most of this time using the binoculars and he had every bit as much fun as I did!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is the second time I have taken this excursion. I took it last year as well. There are a lot of reasons I would highly recommend this excursion. If you are not a photographer you will still enjoy this. They limit this excursion to a very small group compared to what you see on the other whale watching trips. You are able to freely move around the boat to get the right photo instead of being walled in by other people. Adriane was our guide this year. She was very wonderful about helping to set up my & my husband's cameras and to explain things. I even learned some new things this year. We saw 4 whale breaches and thanks to what I learned I came out with some fantastic pictures! Even if you just took pictures with your cellphone I'm sure you would get some beautiful pictures. Adriane was also able to tell us information about the various animals we saw. After the whale watching (which we saw a lot. I actually had to screen my pictures as I had so many.) we went to Mendenhall.Glacier. She took us along the photo point trail. What an incredible walk. It's really interesting to see how the glacier has receded and to look at the forest. The only thing I could ask more of would be to have more time at Mendenhall Glacier (without taking away from the whale watching). Thanks Adriane and Gastineau Guiding Company-you made our Alaska Cruise awesome! We will be back!

1  Thank Dewey E
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Dave was our guide on the whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier photo tour and hike. We could't have had a better guide. A professional photographer, knowledgeable, friendly and genuine person just starts to describe Dave.He was able to teach me tricks on my Canon EOS that i didn't know, or even if Canon knows about. Saw the whales and a few porpise, but at the glacier we were able to see up close a few black bear along the trail, bald eagles flying within 10 feet over our heads, and other wildlife along the trail before even getting to the glacier. Really exciting!!! we had great weather with temps. not bad for the end of September. We would highly recommend this experience to anyone while in Juneau.

1  Thank paul z
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went on the Photo Excursion during our Alaskan Cruise and could not have been more pleased with the entire experience! Our Guide Dave was amazing and talented and walked us all thru how to get the best pictures. During the ride to the Whale portion he helped us each get our Cameras setup which included all levels of cameras and skills! He was able to look at our cameras and teach us tricks and tips for getting the best possible shots with the equipment we had!

1  Thank KariM0811

Travellers who viewed Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company also viewed

Been to Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company? Share your experiences!