“Trip Of A Lifetime!!!”

Alaska Powder Descents
Ranked #55 of 87 things to do in Juneau
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska Powder Descents is a full service guiding operation offering a range from half-day trips to weeklong packages. Our guides are all Juneau based and have extensive experience working in Southeast Alaska. Our goal is to use our experience to lead clients to terrain that fits their ability and matches their desire to challenge themselves.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have heli-skied all over Alaska, and Backcountry skied all over the world. The terrain is world class and the guides are awesome. Chris was the consumate professional and definitely got us the goods.

It doesn't matter what company you go with there is always time spent waiting for weather in AK. After many days of sitting around in the Chugach and Chillkats waiting for weather, having access to Eaglecrest Ski Area as well as all the Juneau infrastructure is a godsend and makes even the inevitable down time fun.

For the value for money, things to do, and incredible skiing I will definitely be back. The Alaska Powder return policy means you never lose money with them, and when they can take the heli anywhere in a million acres with no other operator around you can't ask for more.

1  Thank Charles H
There are newer reviews for Alaska Powder Descents

Reviewed 4 April 2013

So I just came back from my first heliskiing experience. When I asked my friend "what was it like your first time" (clearly a tad nervous) she said she was too busy with how beautiful it was. She was just so right. You get off the helicopter (which in itself is just the coolest thing) and just wow, wow, wow, there aren't words to describe it. I was honestly too struck by how beautiful it was to be nervous. Then i laid down some turns and i was hooked. But it was not just the scenery (which was out of this world), but it was the people too who made the trip. The safety training was thorough, and they made sure you understood, the gear they had was great & the guides knew everything inside and out, and they totally enjoy in the experience with you. I had the awesome pleasure of touring with Dawn and Chris - both of them were incredible, but I would have gladly toured with anyone there.

And Juneau, it is a great town too. Chill, people were super nice and the location of the heliport is riiiight outside.

Simply put, my one in a lifetime adventure turned into a "i'll be back" - thank you everyone, rock on! ~

4  Thank Lauren G
carra3, Director of Sales at Alaska Powder Descents, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Lauren, thanks so much for the great review, it was awesome to have you out with us. Can't wait to ride with you again next season.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

As a resident of Juneau, I cannot tell you how impressive this company is. These guys paid such great attention to an ever changing and unpredictable weather pattern in SE AK that we were able to get some bluebird drops in a small window one afternoon. They efficiently got us 3 epic drops out of a day that was a no fly until 3pm. I know nothing of the experience they provide for tourists, but if their service is anywhere near as professional as the service we experienced that afternoon (and the wait before), then anyone staying at the lodge is sure to be happy. The guides had not only had an incredible knack for safety, operations, and weather, but the personalities we had the pleasure of experiencing were tons of fun. Down time flew by thanks to staff like Dawn, Chris, and Craig "Shaggy" Brown. As a fairly inexperienced backcountry snowboarder, I was made to feel comfortable, safe, and welcome in the world of epic Juneau Icefield powder. My only hope is that I get a chance to use Alaska Powder Descents again.

2  Thank Owen S
carra3, Director of Sales at Alaska Powder Descents, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Thanks Owen, we're glad you enjoyed your time with us! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I've heli-skied in Juneau, Haines, the Alaska Range and rode the snowcat in Girdwood. I think APD is the best combination of affordability, service, down day activities, and terrain.

APD is a much more personalized experience because they aren't running three helis and 50 guests into the field. An average day is 3-4 groups flying. That means you have a lot more say in what zones/runs interest you and your group. It also means you waste less time waiting for the heli when conditions are epic.

They have the 4-star option if you stay at the lodge, and the ski bum option if you sleep I'm your car on the highway!

3  Thank srocheapproach

Sam, thanks so much for your review. Stoked to have you back out there this season!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was my second heli ski trip but first time skiing in Alaska. I won an opportunity to go heli-skiing at Alaska Powder Descents this year and took my Dad with me.

The experience was beyond words. Upon our arrival to the lodge after 10pm following a long journey which consisted of 3 flights from Toronto Canada, we were served a savoury pacific salmon dinner. It was one of the best we had ever had. What a great way to finish a long day of traveling.

The accommodation at the Adlersheim Wilderness Lodge was amazing with exceptional panoramic views of the surrounding Chilkat mountains. The food was superb, and the hospitality warm and welcoming. Everyone at the lodge and in Juneau were so friendly. The guides went above and beyond making us feel like part of their crew and took time to show us around the city and borough of Juneau.

The APD heli skiing experience was out of this world. Their terrain offers endless possibilities, features and aspects to ski. The snow was deep and delightful and the views are mesmerizing. I had so many goose bump moments. Our guides were very experienced and safety-minded so we knew that we were in good care.

One of the beauties about skiing with this operation is that if the heli cannot fly on any day during the season (a down day) you can still kick it in high gear with a guided day of fun at Eaglecrest, a nearby community ski area with easy access to the backcountry if you are looking to go beyond the boundaries. Our guide showed us some of his secret stashes that we likely wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Eaglecrest has a good variety of challenging terrain to explore with a laid back feel. This year it had among the highest snow bases of any ski area in North America for much of the winter. It felt much larger than the vertical drop shown on the trail map.

APD made our stay a truly special experience. I hope to make a return visit soon. I would like to try their sea kayaking and fishing at the lodge with a longer stay. We are recommending APD to everyone we meet.

3  Thank Greg L

Greg, we're so glad you were able to share your experience with your dad. We loved the video you posted of giving the gift of heli-skiing for the holidays. Hope to see you back again soon!