“Cool hip place and really good bar staff”
Review of Rockwell

Rockwell
Ranked #42 of 145 Restaurants in Juneau
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2014

They recently remodeled this place and it had a cool hip feel to it. Chic meets industrial! The bar is nice and the bartenders hit the mark on drinks every time. Off the beaten path but worth it for a drink or three when off the cruise ship and looking for a place that is not "Alaska". Trust me, you will know what I mean by the time you get to Juneau.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I ate dinner at Rockwell, selecting a coho salmon special served on a bed of seared polenta and sauteed Brussels sprouts. First, the Brussels sprouts were excellent. They were chopped coarsely and sauteed. The polenta was crisp on the outside and perfectly done inside. The salmon was moist and not overcooked as it so often is. The price of $19 was very reasonable, especially given the quantity and quality of the food. The wine list, while not extensive, was adequate and prices were not unreasonable.

Service was very good. The menu is not extensive, but has a variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and main dishes that should cover most people. They appear to have nightly specials. The atmosphere is a little austere and the chairs, while not bad, are not really conducive to long leisurely meals. A little art work on the walls would soften the feel.

Overall, this is a very good restaurant and I would happily go back.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I keep going to Rockwell, because I really want them to succeed, but after today's lunch I think I give up. The service has been mostly good. The new decor is hit and miss, sort of high tech barn door. It is always freezing cold in there. They are trying to have a creative menu, but don't seem to care about the actual execution. Today there was a reduced price happy hour menu, which wasn't actually reflected on our bill. Worst of all, the salad was spoiled. Not just the lettuce, but the tomatoes and cucumbers too. When we pointed it out to the waiter he said, "oh yeah, that happens sometimes". To his credit, he tried to get us another salad from the kitchen, but said "they thought I was joking". He gave us a courtesy discount on our sandwiches, but forgot to give us the expected happy hour discount. I decided not to complain about that, but it was unpleasant. Sad, the space has potential, and I think they want to be a good restaurant, it's just often more miss than hit.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

The staff were helpful, the personal touch of seeing how you liked the meal was welcoming.
This is a recently remodeled space. I suspect a designer imagined the unique was more important than softness. Instead of making it most comfortable, they chose to do high-end atmosphere touches. The tables were hard, the bench hard, with rough wood back. This winter night it was still cold. I imagine that in the summer, this would contribute to moving the patrons out of there quickly. The ladies restroom was unfinished, as the locks were missing, but the heavy rough-wood doors there. It is difficult for the elderly to deal with that weight.
For the advertisement of an expert chef, my expectations were too high, though small touches showed his expertise. The burger beef itself was lacking flavor, though loaded with flavorful extras. The salad was lovely greens, but too sharp with vinegar. The halibut was a minimal portion prepared with a batter crust. The slaw was something different. I do not know what was done to it, but it was delicious and soft - not the usual crisp texture. The tartar sauce was unique. It was yummy. Unfortunately, there was no warning on the menu that there were thai peppers in that sauce, and the surprise of that caused burning lips. That was when I asked for the ingredients: ginger, garlic, thai peppers, and strong homemade dill pickles There is a recent trend to make hot, spicey foods, but there needs to be a warning of that, for the many whose health precludes that type of dish.
The fries were very oily and salty, though delicious.

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I took my family of six to eat for a spontaneous dinner out. Our server was friendly but extremely busy as it appeared the business was understaffed. We waited for over an hour for our food which tasted good, but was pricey for what we got. Ambiance wasn't anything to write home about. All in all we were pleased but do not have plans to go back anytime soon.