“Tasty Food”

Grumpy's Deli
Ranked #33 of 145 Restaurants in Juneau
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were told King's Crab, but of course we always go against the favourite. We always look for something a little different and we certainly found that in the little Deli called Grumpy's. We actually came across it accidentally, and it is a difficult place to find, but it is well worth searching out for the real treats it serves. The sandwiches were very very tasty. We had a Reuben's Toasted sandwich with Pressed beef, sauerkraut and swiss cheese toasted on rye. Bliss with every mouthful. Chatted with the owner and how he cooked his meats. Very friendly and approachable wait staff as well.
Must agree about the heat inside the shop, but we ate at the table outside the store and it was a lot cooler. The meal was well priced as well.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

owners work onsite and are very friendly. food is top notch. pity they aren't open for dinner. make sure to visit their great little place soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

They sure know how to cook a corned beef sandwich, yum!

This place is a little hard to find, despite the fact that it is near the corner of Front St and Main. It's on the second floor of a multi-shop business and way in the back. But look for it. There was a board on the sidewalk near the entrance directing me to it. Food's good, and the prices are good, especially considering that this is Alaska at the height of tourist season.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Fairly good food but a real budget outfit: Cheap chairs and tables etc. Also, it was very HOT and there is no ventilation AT ALL. I would get it to go or have them deliver.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I visited Grumpy's for lunch on a rainy morning in April 2013.

It was a few minutes before noon with only one other set of patrons in the place. I had been here before a few weeks prior and had the Reuben sandwich. My impression of that was that it was a good sandwich, just not enough of it for the price charged.

This time, I ordered the cheesesteak sandwich. Being a Pennsylvania native, I am always interested to sample other locations' versions of the Philadelphia classic. I have yet to find a place that is equal to or better than PHL. After my visit to Grumpy's, that record stands.

My order came out about five minutes later. The sandwich was served with a large hoagie roll and featured a standard amount of rib-eye steak (not too much, not too little). The meat was genuinely good and flavorful. There were all manner of peppers in the thing, some yellow and some orange. I didn't see any onion at all. Come to think of it, there wasn't a lot of cheese in it either.

Hey, it tasted good, don't get me wrong. But for $10 and the use of the sandwich name, they should strive for a little more authenticity. Given my background, my expectations are probably somewhat skewed.

The staff is very pleasant and friendly. The chef made sure to thank me when I left, and I thought that was a nice touch.

Grumpy's definitely has cultivated a following and is a popular lunchtime option with people who work downtown. If I worked downtown, I would probably visit there regularly.