“Great bread!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Wild Oven Bakehouse
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the real thing, Alaskan sourdough bread, and they recognize that local downtown customers are often single, so they are willing to sell half loaves.

The bread selection keeps expanding and changing, and as a single person, I don't want to buy even half a loaf of chocolate bread unless I'm going to have company for brunch (I really do want to try it for French toast).

I miss the free bread samples with a choice of olive oil or butter, but the new addition of the "toast bar" where you can toast a couple of slices and add butter, peanut butter, or jam is a nice idea.

My only critique of the veggie breads and savory rolls is that they all seem to use cow milk cheeses, so I haven't tried them. I hope that they will try savory treats with goat and sheep milk cheeses for those of us with allergies.

I only wish that parking was more easily available.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This "hole-in-the-wall" downtown bakery offers a great selection of excellent fresh daily-baked (some rotating) artisan breads; including baguettes and brioche, not available elsewhere in Juneau. It also offers some interesting lunch items such as topped focaccias and sandwiches; plus interesting sodas and soft drinks. This is take-out only, and Juneau (paid) parking can be a challenge; but persevere and you'll be happily rewarded. My only negative comments are that baguettes are available only after noon (inconvenient if you make your downtown sojourns in the morning) and many choices feature sourdough, or at least are on the sour side, which I happen to like. However, the ones I like I REALLY like; for example, they make a killer rye bread.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We bought takeout lunches here twice. Fresh bread, tasty fillings. Fun basement location, small counter looking into the large kitchen/bakery. Locals seem like the main customers.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I was strolling around Juneau when I found the Wild Oven Bakehouse. My cruise began in San Francisco & by the time we got to Juneau, I was really longing for the good bread we can buy in the Bay Area. Wild Oven Bakehouse is kind of a hole-in-the-wall place & you have to go down a little alley way to get to the front door. Inside, it smelled wonderful - bread had just been taken from the oven. All of their bread is made with sourdough starter. Some of the loaves are quite large but they will sell ½ loaf of at least some of their bread. I bought a ½ loaf of the Country French - it was delicious & I ate half of it while I walked back to the ship. If I lived in Juneau, I would definitely be a regular customer.

2  Thank TZK