“Good hotel 15 minute walking distance to town”
Review of Juneau Hotel

Juneau Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I felt that Juneau Hotel is great value for money when you consider it is really an apartment not just a hotel room. The walk to town isn't far (as long as you don't have a disability) as it is a flat easy walk. Supermarket is close by on the way to town. We walked from the GoldBelt where our boat docked and we had our bags as well and it was fine. The room is very spacious and the bonus when you're travelling is having a washing machine and dryer. Also the option of cooking at home instead of always eating out. On the downside we didn't have a kettle so had to boil water in a saucepan and there is no toaster so that was a bit of a challenge. Also there was coffee supplied but no tea and no "starter packs" for the washing machine or washing up detergent if you didn't have enough dishes for the dishwasher.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Juneau Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel is clean overall and it is still pretty new. Mariela is a really nice front desk person and very helpful. However, the housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired. Even though we'd reserved for 3 adults there were not enough pillows, towels and coffee for 3 people when we got here. When I requested these from the front desk, I got push back which I thought was surprising. I had to insist that yes I really did need more and the staff gave them only grudgingly! Then the next morning, we left our room at 8:30 a.m. for a tour and returned around 3:30 p.m. to find our room still not cleaned even though we'd left a "please clean room" sign on our door. Around 4:00 p.m. the housekeeping staff knocked and asked if we needed anything. Even though we offered to leave so they could clean they just kept asking "do you need anything?" clearly they didn't want to tidy the room so we took some extra towels. The next morning I reported this to the front desk (it was not Mariela this time) and received a blank stare. Didn't look like she was at all surprised and also not willing to offer any reason for missing the service. The next day the same thing was repeated. We stayed for 4 nights and received housekeeping service only once! This was after we told the front desk our place needed vacuuming and garbage pick up. We continually had to go get our own extra towels and coffee. The hotel management and housekeeping either isn't run professionally or they are intentionally trying to skimp on this -- either way it's not what we're used to. Also, our room, next to 10th and Egan intersection, was a bit noisy. We made due with earplugs. We're not too picky about that but if you are then select a room on the other side of the hotel. I'd probably stay here again, we're healthy enough to walk the few blocks into town and it was nice to have a kitchen and washer/dryer, but my message to you is to insist on housekeeping service or you won't get it! Would've been nice to have a toaster, we used the oven broiler for that. Full size coffee maker is a must for a room with 3 adults and we got only one of the little ones. With just a few small changes this could be a really great hotel! Hopefully the management will figure that out.

Room Tip: Our room was very noisy, we were right next to the bridge (10th street) and at the intersection truc...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 night while visiting Juneau and were very satisfied. It is a bit outside of downtown (a short walk) but consider that a lot of Juneau's hotel's are out by the airport (within walking distance of nothing). This suite's kitchen was well equipped and included a dishwasher. We always love having a kitchen when we vacation to save some $$$ and have some home cooking. It was real nice to have the washer/dryer too. We were in Alaska for 2 weeks riding the ferries and carrying everything in our backpacks so we were able to pack light and launder here at our half way point. The people at the desk were very helpful with suggestions and the shuttle service was great since the ferry terminal is so far away from town. Stay at the Juneau Hotel it's very nice and the walk to downtown is beautiful and will give you some exercise!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheSpeis
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Prior to getting to Juneau, we looked at several hotels in the area and we found that this was suitable to the needs we needed. My parents took me and my grand daughter to Juneau for a ten day vacation, as I had never been able to go prior with them due to medical problems. This also was to be their last vacation. We had asked prior to coming, about transportation, as my parents have a hard time walking, the told us that town was with in walking distance. Well not if you are 65 and 70 with health problems. So had to get a rental car at the last moment, which was very costly. (last minute) We were not told prior to coming that our stove was not in working condition, to give us a option if we wanted to move to another room. We were promised sever times that we were going to get a new stove. Thus is why we didn't chose a different room. We also needed main floor to to handicaps with both my parents. We had no clue our oven was not working until 3 days after getting there, spending allot of money on food that would require use of the stove. The manager never took the time to keep us posted on the progress of getting one well knowing we had spend money on food, and we know it's not cheap in AK for food. The housekeeping staff were not on top of thing's. We went several or more days with out getting our room vaccumed, we had to constantly ask for coffee, towels, hand towels, etc. Floors were washed and after your feet stuck to the floor due to excessive use of cleaners. UGG! Promised by manager upon checking out on our tenth day there, he would compensate my parents, and would be there in the morning before our flight left. He didn't even have the BALLS to show his face to my parent's well knowing we had a very unsatisfactory stay there. All in all we were only compensated 10 dollars a day after spending over 2000 dollars on our room, with not all full services they state.. Pretty sad. I guess, since I will be planning sometime in the future to return to Juneau, I will NOT be staying at the Juneau Hotel. Shame on you General Manager for the inconsiderate and cowardly way you treated my parents. I hope you are happy with yourself, and will be making sure, If I know of anyone who will be traveling there that I will NOT be giving you rave reviews...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tammy S
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here for four nights in June. The room consisted of a combination kitchen and living room area and a separate bedroom. Both rooms were large and comfortable. The kitchen had complete cooking facilities, a full-size refrigerator, pots and pans, etc. The sofa in the living room was comfortable as was the bed. The staff was helpful and pleasant. A supermarket was a five minute walk from the hotel and downtown was a 12 minute walk.

Room Tip: This is an urban hotel so be prepared for traffic noise during rush hour. The quietest rooms seem to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulLeesburg_VA
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I love this place. I have been commuting to Juneau for 2.5 years. I stay 3 weeks a month. The staff has always gone out of their way to welcome me. Rooms are comfortable, clean. Full kitchens is a plus, washer/dryer each room. Bob and Jenny have always gone out of their way to make me feel at home. Loved that everything was switched out as soon as wear or tear was noticeable. Great value! Tough to say goodbye - it's been an extended family

Room Tip: Rooms facing town don't have road noise. Corner rooms have great views of mountains Top floor...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We were in town for two days but this was an excellent room. Full kitchen, and washer and dryers in room who could ask for more. The receptionist at the front desk didn't seem to know how to work the computer upon check-in. Our group had ten rooms reserved under one name in order to hold the rooms. She could not figure how to change the group reservation for each individual person. Upon check out the reciept still had the room under the original persons name with my credit card. Good luck on me trying to get reimbursed. She was very frustrating as she handled checkin and check out. if you can avoid her your stay will be most enjoyable.

Room Tip: Definetely stay on the opposite side of the bridge. I had an odd number room in the check-in buildi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business