“Desk clerks are clueless about basic customer service!”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here 3 nights because our first options were booked. On check in, the bag porter forgot our room and put our bags in an empty room. After a while I
Went to the front desk and a bearded guy acted like it was no big deal. We were on the second floor and the drunks from the bars kept us awake. Checked out after one night and then had to go back 5 days later. We had picked up some fresh bread made down the street and I went down to ask them if I could get some
Butter from the resteraunt or
If they had a in house store where I could buy some. She pulled out a map to a grocery store 8 blocks away. I went upstairs to get my coat but went back down to ask them again if I could just get butter from the cafe rather than walk to the store in the rain. She said " oh, well I don't know... Go in and ask the girl at the desk" why she could not have done that the first time or just got it done herself was shocking. Lazy staff...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Magugin
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, we really do appreciate getting feedback from all our customers. It is not the normal practice to provide condiments for food purchased outside of our hotel, but I am so thankful or staff was able to accommodate you in our restaurant.

Dana Ruaro

(907) 789-0430 Fax
(800) 544-0970 Central Reservations

Druaro@hollandamerica-princess.com

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Please don't stay here! Yes, I know it has history and lots of famous (political) people have stayed here, but it's so NOT worth it! It's extremely old, outdated, and overpriced. The staff needs more training.... they have no idea how to be fast, friendly, or helpful. We stayed here on two separate occasions and the 1st time they lost our luggage. Really! The guy delivering the bags - gave them to other guests in the hotel. Grrrr We tried to go to another hotel, but the town was full. Stay somewhere else....cheaper.....actually, anywhere else would be better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shanaka99
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed in the Baranof with a friend who is living there for the summer and working in the tourist industry. I am always reluctant to stay any where but my own bed because I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to sleeping but this bed was really, very comfortable. I'd stay there in a heartbeat if I needed to again. However the walls were thin. One wall looked like a very fancy temporary wall (it did not have a seem on the inside) and the other had a regular door adjoining it to the next room. I could hear every conversation held on the other side. Luckily my neighbors on both sides were pretty quiet. Minor complaints- my overhead light would go out without warning because of the wiring and one of the elevators was broken for several days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank offdisplay
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed one night in June and thank goodness it wasn't more. The room was large, but dusty and dirty and really old. Being the "last frontier" is no excuse for worn out looks, poor upkeep, and unfriendly staff. Lots of noise outside, late at night. This is a Holland America property and tells you a lot about the company.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cless
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two days. The location was great for exploring downtown. The hotel may be considered more grand in days gone by, but as others have mentioned, this is the last frontier not a huge metropolitan area with lots of upscale options. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable with all the usual amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed for 2 days in May. The hotel is well located and convienent to shops & restaurants. The rooms were comfortable but I suggest you skip the breakfast as service is very slow. Only complaint was the yelling and screaming at 2:00 in the morning when people leave the bar down the street..this occurred both nights. Coffee available in the lobby early morning, until the restaurant opens. I suggest the management have the coffee available in the lobby even after the restaurant opens as some people enjoy only a cup of Coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front street...it may be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The last reviewer makes a point lost on a few the others. You're not in Chicago, or San Francisco, or Seattle, okay? Alaska. Let that sink in. Juneau has a population of about 30,000 people, and though it gets more visitors than its population in a single summer week, 99.9% leave before the sun sets. If it sets at all....can be hard to tell this time of year. March into the Baranoff expecting a rustic version of a Four Seasons and it'll be downhill from there.

So I would put "considering" after my "very good" when I rate this hotel--and uptick it to a 4 1/2. You are not the tourist this city's hospitality industry is set up to serve, but the Baronof will give you what passes for elegance in small cities north of the 45 parallel. You'll step into a gracious lobby from an earlier era, with a comfortable bar off to one side an decent food to the other. The rooms are small. The bathrooms have been thoughtfully remodeled quite recently with space and comfort optimized. The Alaska Airlines flight crews stay here when they overnight and if you travel much that should tell you something: in the lower 48 you'll find them at the Doubletree, the Red Lion, the occasional Hilton. Airlines pick places comfortable and a "cut above," but only flirt with luxury.

There isn't much to see out any of the windows, but that's Juneau--truly breathtaking beauty in every direction, but you must leave your room to find it.

The hotel is friendly and efficient. Unpacking in our room we soon found that it had been "tidied" but not cleaned. Minutes later we were re-ensconced in better digs with apologies and (only) modest chagrin. There is no fawning here. The staff is informal but attentive. If I left Chicago for the 49th state and ended up in a clone of the Whitehall, what would have been the point in leaving at all? But if you appreciate any of the Windy City's boutique hotels, this is where you'd stay in Juneau.

When you tire of breakfast off the lobby, there are five or six places within two of three blocks, none of them bad. Try the Silverbow around the corner for breakfast or lunch, and if your timing's good you can find a cinnamon roll still warm in the tiny bakery right up the hill. Relax and enjoy the 20-hour summer days. It's what everyone else in Alaska is doing.

Room Tip: Any view at all would be to the west, looking over the sound at Douglas Island--the higher the room...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MDWfan1
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

I really appreciated your positive review about our hotel and thank you so much for pointing out that we are the contracted hotel for Alaska Airlines. You are a very eloquent writer and I am so thankful for your attention to detail describing our hotel.

I feel that you are spot on in describing the Westmark Baranof and pointed out some good information, helpful to other trip advisor readers.

Dana Ruaro