“Overall Happy With Our Stay”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The choices of places to stay in Juneau is limited. The Baranof is in a great location to walk the shops downtown. We were originally booked (through expedia) for a double bed and twin bed room. Once the clerk heard we had a one year old and needed a crib she knew the crib wouldn't fit and upgraded us to a king size bed room on the 3rd floor. The room was clean and more updated than I expected. It is noisy though. Especially since they begin room service at 7 in the morning. You hear toilet flushes from every room around you all night. But we had a toddler with us so we can't complain about noise too much. If you want to stay downtown, I would recommend the Baranof.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting shops and the water front all within walking distance of our front door. We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

(907) 463-3083 Fax

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I booked through Orbitz and the room was $99.00 per night and would have been $129.00 per night had I gone directly through the hotel. We spent 2 nights prior to our InnerSea Discoveries un-cruise. Another hotel was suggested, but was on a main road and we wanted something a little more quiet. We were only a few blocks away from where we needed to depart and it was no problem walking there with our bags. When we checked in and got to our room it was the wrong one and I called down to the desk. The Manager came up to us with the new keys and escorted us to the right room.

We were starving and didn't want to go out so we went down to the hotel bar for dinner. There was a piano player and it was a nice touch. The food was absolutely outstanding and we were told they had a new menu. I had blackened salmon fish tacos that were outrageous. Perfect for what we were looking for and for Alaska the prices were very friendly.

This is an older hotel, but it looks like its had some work done. We had a double and a single bed in our room as there were 3 of us and it was a bit tight, but manageable. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. All the staff that we encountered was very friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor facing the street and we had no problems with noise and the location was gr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gigglebelly

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you found us to be helpful, knowledgeable and recommendation worthy. I will be sure to share your review with our team members. Our goal is to always provide top notch service. Again, thank you for choosing Baranof Westmark and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to our capital city!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Unfortunately, this is one of the better hotels in Juneau. The hotel needs a facelift, some sound deadening. The staff was polite and hard-working. Its location provided good access to the cruise-ship docks and tourist shops as well as Mt. Roberts. Unfortunately, voices in the halls, other rooms awakened me at all hours. Street noise was loud too.

Room Tip: I cannot help with this one. I cancelled a return to this hotel and rerouted my trip. It has no po...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience when staying at the Baranof Westmark.

I am so sorry that you had a disturbed nights sleep during your recent stay. We do appreciate how important a good nights sleep is to our guests and I am confident that if you had called down to reception we would have found a solution for you. Our reception desk is open 24 hours a day there are always staff on duty ready to assist our guests.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here 3 nights because our first options were booked. On check in, the bag porter forgot our room and put our bags in an empty room. After a while I
Went to the front desk and a bearded guy acted like it was no big deal. We were on the second floor and the drunks from the bars kept us awake. Checked out after one night and then had to go back 5 days later. We had picked up some fresh bread made down the street and I went down to ask them if I could get some
Butter from the resteraunt or
If they had a in house store where I could buy some. She pulled out a map to a grocery store 8 blocks away. I went upstairs to get my coat but went back down to ask them again if I could just get butter from the cafe rather than walk to the store in the rain. She said " oh, well I don't know... Go in and ask the girl at the desk" why she could not have done that the first time or just got it done herself was shocking. Lazy staff...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Magugin

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, we really do appreciate getting feedback from all our customers. It is not the normal practice to provide condiments for food purchased outside of our hotel, but I am so thankful or staff was able to accommodate you in our restaurant.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Please don't stay here! Yes, I know it has history and lots of famous (political) people have stayed here, but it's so NOT worth it! It's extremely old, outdated, and overpriced. The staff needs more training.... they have no idea how to be fast, friendly, or helpful. We stayed here on two separate occasions and the 1st time they lost our luggage. Really! The guy delivering the bags - gave them to other guests in the hotel. Grrrr We tried to go to another hotel, but the town was full. Stay somewhere else....cheaper.....actually, anywhere else would be better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shanaka99
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed in the Baranof with a friend who is living there for the summer and working in the tourist industry. I am always reluctant to stay any where but my own bed because I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to sleeping but this bed was really, very comfortable. I'd stay there in a heartbeat if I needed to again. However the walls were thin. One wall looked like a very fancy temporary wall (it did not have a seem on the inside) and the other had a regular door adjoining it to the next room. I could hear every conversation held on the other side. Luckily my neighbors on both sides were pretty quiet. Minor complaints- my overhead light would go out without warning because of the wiring and one of the elevators was broken for several days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank offdisplay
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed one night in June and thank goodness it wasn't more. The room was large, but dusty and dirty and really old. Being the "last frontier" is no excuse for worn out looks, poor upkeep, and unfriendly staff. Lots of noise outside, late at night. This is a Holland America property and tells you a lot about the company.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple