“It was clean and the staff was kind”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Nashville, Tennessee
“It was clean and the staff was kind”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

In Juneau there are not many choices - keep this in mind. Rundown:

Room: When I checked in I was given a king suite. The room was not remarkable - I would compare it to a Fairfield Inn. It was about low end average. It was clean and the room was fairly large. Basically a very small one bedroom apartment. I had a corner room and it was very drafty. It did not really bother me but I could see it being a problem for some.

Wireless: It worked well.

Location: Downtown - you could walk everywhere.

Food: I ate at the diner for breakfast, it was not great at all and a little rundown. I would probably go elsewhere to eat, there are other options in town.

Parking: The lot is in back and it is extremely cramped. If you have an issue w/ this sort of set up I would look for another option.

Bottom line - I'd stay here again due to the options in this city. It is an old hotel and you can tell an effort has been made to keep it up. Historically it is a good place to stay as far as saying you did. For this city it probably deserves a four star but compared to other cities - high two star low three.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinion and for sharing such a positive comment about the Baranof Westmark on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our housekeeping staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable
We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Druaro@hollandamerica-princess.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I spent 3 nights there this past weekend. The room I was in had a nice view of the water. One of the down sides of having a room facing the water is that you end up hearing all the noise from the street. I was woken up a couple times during the night/early morning by people talking as they were walking down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Mountain side if you want to sleep through the night.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

We have a variety of rooms at the Westmark. On your next visit to Juneau I would like to give you a tour of our rooms and show you the different room types we have to choose from. Sometimes in the summer it is quitter on a higher floor.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 14 March 2013

If you’ve been to Juneau before or follow Alaska politics you’ve heard of the Baranof. The first time I stayed there I remember my room being gray and showing its age. This year (Feb 2013) I was in a 3rd floor room and it was spruced up—the paint was a cheery yellow, the bathroom had been overhauled, and the bathroom floor felt heated. The first room assigned to me was right across from the elevators and ice machine. I requested a move to a quiet location and my wish was granted; I recommend the mountain side of the hotel. The café offers a great breakfast. The Gold Room is great for dinner—you may need a reservation, especially during the legislative session—and they have a signature salad that is really terrific. The hotel is in a great location if you want to see downtown, especially on foot. Parking is free but very limited.

Room Tip: Request a mountain side room for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for choosing Baranof Westmark as your home away from home while in lovely Juneau and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We’re elated to hear that you had such a pleasant time during your recent stay! We set out each and every day to create unforgettable experiences to our guests and from the looks of it; you were able to accomplish exactly that!! Its reviews like yours that keep us all inspired and committed to providing the best possible service to all our guests!

In the past several months we upgraded all of our hotel rooms with new mattress and flat screen TV’s and newly carpeted 70 of our rooms. We recently upgraded our elevator and we are continually upgrading the property. Please contact me anytime and thank you for your input.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Alright.... We do not even know where to start....
1. Parking lot is too small and everyone parks too close to each other.
2. The restaurant is extremely overpriced.
3. The room was way too small and outdated.
4. No ventilation anywhere with mold in the bathroom.
5. Small beds with not enough pillows. (We had to exchange the pillows because they were too old)
6. Room temperature impossible to regulate ( it was way too hot and stuffy)
7. Overall service terrible and unfriendly.

Finally, the ONE bright spot of the whole hotel is the breakfast/ lunch cafe. Great food, great service, great environment!

Highly recommend to stay at any other hotel and stop by for the breakfast here.

If all the other hotels are booked, stay in your car! About the same size with better air!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ekaterina-William

Druaro@hollandamerica-princess.com

Travellers are raving about these Juneau hotels

Fairbanks, AK
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I have stayed a few times here, and the staff is very helpful. Well located for visiting the Capital. A little expensive, but Juneau in the winter is that way everywhere. Has meeting rooms that are helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed at the Baranof for my first ever business trip to Juneau. I had heard it was the best hotel in town so decided to try it. I was not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was remodeled and quite pleasant. This is an historic downtown building, so rooms are not large, but mine was very comfortable. I arrived late on a Sunday evening so I had to eat at the bar, but the full restaurant menu is there. The food, drink and service were good. The second night I attended a large dinner party and the service and food were outstanding, including fresh salmon. I will stay again when in Juneau.

1 Thank Dale K
We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel and enjoyed the food in the Gold Room Restaurant, as it means we achieved our goal of giving each guest a memorable stay. We have a new Executive Chief and he brings allot of new tantalizing menu items to our restaurant. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting shops and the water front all within walking distance of our front door. We hope to see you again very soon!

We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I have stayed at the Baranof on several occasions, and will likely return. It's a nice place and something of an Alaska institution. The rooms are clean and comfortable and I've always had excellent food in the Gold room restaurant, and good service at the bar. There does not appear to be much of a buffer between adjacent rooms so get comfortable with knowing when your neighbor uses the bathroom, and hope you don't have a noisy sleeper next door.

One disappointing experience: the in-room materials offer a room service menu and state that room service is available until 9 p.m. Taking this to be true, I worked late one evening with a plan to order room service once I arrived back at the hotel. I called for room service at 8:37 p.m. and was told I was too late. When I pointed out that the menu in the room said room service would be available until 9 p.m. I was told, "I don't know what the menu says, I just know the policy here. You are seven minutes too late." That experience was unfortunate.

The front desk staff was helpful and friendly.

1 Thank Katie O
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience when staying at the Baranof Westmark.

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the room service menu. I have forwarded your comment to our general manager and we will correct this problem.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review for the historic Baranof Westmark Hotel & Conference Center!