“Great Place to Stay!”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had an excellent experience staying here for 4 nights! The room was clean and comfy and the stay was very friendly. I was travelling with a service dog and they were very accommodating. The location is very convenient and walkable to everything in downtown. A free parking lot is provided behind the hotel if needed. I would recommend for anyone to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinion and for sharing such a positive comment about the Baranof Westmark on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Had this room for a conference. Hotel was not impressive. Clean but rundown, in bad need of a remodel. Weather was in the mid 70s and with no air conditioning room was warm and uncomfortable. Fortunately I was on the back side of the hotel so it wasn't noisy and I was able to keep my window open.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the unusual hot summer weather.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review for the historic Baranof Westmark Hotel & Conference Center!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Near the tourist area of Juneau, this older hotel is quaint, with glass door knobs and classic woodwork. The wifi access can be a bit difficult, but they do have it. The fitness room is small. only one of the 2 treadmills is currently working and the TV in the fitness room wasn't working either. The rooms are clean but not modern. Fortunately, I did not have loud neighbors, or I would have heard every sound they made since soundproofing is lacking. There is no air conditioning and no hairdryer. If you want to be near the action, are going to be out and about a lot, and don't need the most modern amenities, then the Baranof is a good choice.

Room Tip: Avoid room 232. It is next door to the fitness center. Since soundproofing is minimal and the earl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting shops and the water front all within walking distance of our front door.

I noted your comment about the TV and the treadmill and we fixed both of these problems. Thank you for sharing this with us!

We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I want to prefic this review with the fact that I travel often for business (over 80 nights a year stayed in a hotel on average). I typically stay at Marriott or Hilton properities but rarely do I stay at their nicest brands.

This is my first time to Juneau and I was told to stay at this hotel by an experience Juneau traveler as it was "the best Juneau has to offer". There MUST be better places here. I can't believe a city that is so focused on tourism wouldn't have better properities. I have visualized several other hotels as I drove around (most of the ones on the top 10 list here) and none appear to be better from the outside.

Pro's: Clean, Bed is somewhat comfortable, and free Wifi (slow)

Con's: The hotel is old and outdated, they have made efforts to spruce things up like new fixtures and bathroom decor but the walls are thin and noise REALLY travels. Rooms are plain and boring, there are limited places to plug in a phone/laptop/etc. This hotel still expects travelers to go through the checkout process at the front counter on the way out and won't deliver a bill to the room unless requested the night before.

My biggest complaint is that I'm staying here while the temperature is in the 80's outside. This hotel has NO AC. I understand the basic premise of not needing AC in Alaska but when traveling on business I need to be able to get a good nights sleep and with the rates they are charging AC is a must. When I inquired about this I was told that there is a fan in every room that I could use. So my night consisted of the window being open with the fan going and the sun shining until midnight and back up at 4am.

Now what your are getting into and limit your expectations if you plan to stay at this property (or probably any property in Juneau).

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the unusual hot summer weather. You can have an express check out if you call the front desk the night before. I am sorry it is not more convenient.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I was extremely displeased with the OLD hotel.
Our room we stayed in was small, very small.
Soundproofing is non existing, we heard every conversation, phone call & TV show in the room next store and hallway. We heard every flush of the toilets in the adjacent rooms as if it was in our room. Our first night was kept up by the TV volume turned up HIGH at 11:30 pm & the woman the next door taking on the phone loudly. Than the first morning, we were woke up by the noise of showers, toilets and by the woman the next door again talking on the phone at 5am.
When I spoke to the front deck about the noise, the clerk said "there was nothing he could DO"!
Bad Service...!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kauaiangel

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience when staying at the Baranof Westmark.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was very displeased with the hotel. With the understanding that the hotel is an old building and they attempt to keep that theme, the room with 1 full and 1 twin was extremely cramped. However, that part I can overlook. The big issue for me was the parking. There is a regular lot behind the hotel that is very limited, by 5 pm the majority of the spots are taken. If you are arriving late, there is a large chance you will not find a parking spot. They have what's called an "overflow" lot, however, that comes with small print you don't know about. It's a gravel lot adjacent to the regular parking, what they don't tell you is it's a lot open to all area businesses. I parked there for the night, came out the next morning and found myself blocked in. When I called the hotel front desk, they told me they couldn't help me. After pleading for assistance, as I was on my way to the airport to pick up a family member and try to make a wedding, it took an hour and 4 employees to find the owner of the vehicle to have him move. Although it's not their fault that this driver decided blocking me in was a good idea, it never the less is part of the stay. I found the customer service in general to be lacking. This time around, once again for another family wedding, I tried to make reservations with them as that's where the rest of the family is staying and was told to call back on Monday (this was a Thursday), due to the 3 different clerks not being able to understand my or hear me based upon whatever noise was happening in the lobby. After making my reservations online, and thinking about the parking issues from last time, I've canceled my reservation and made a reservation at a place that has unlimited parking, and more amenities, not to mention polite customer service (via phone). We ate at the restaurant once, it was overpriced and mediocre at best. Also, not the fault of the hotel, but if you are trying to get a decent nights sleep, if the cruise lines are in port, the street noise from all the bars that are down below and close by is rather intrusive at the very least.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the parking. When I was reviewing your comments, it appears you parked in the staff parking lot and I apologize our staff indicated it was ok to park there. In the summer this is not the ideal location because we have a full staff and they use the entire parking lot until their shift is over. I have forwarded your comment to our general manager and we will correct this problem by advising our guest’s not to park in our staff lot. I have created parking maps and will have them available at the front desk. I really appreciate your input and have talked to our staff.

We have a variety of rooms at the Westmark. On your next visit to Juneau I would like to give you a tour of our rooms and show you the different room types we have to choose from. Sometimes in the summer it is quitter on a higher floor. In the past several months we upgraded all of our hotel rooms with new mattress and flat screen TV’s and newly carpeted 70 of our rooms. We recently upgraded our elevator and we are continually upgrading the property. Please contact me anytime and thank you for your input.

__________________________________

Reviewed 4 June 2013

This hotel looks a bit "used." Juneau is a small city and I'm not sure it can support a nicer hotel (most tourists come via cruise ship?). So I'm not really complaining, just saying what we experienced. We travel a lot and generally choose a mid- to higher-end hotel, so that's my comparison. The room was medium-size, clean; no concerns. The staff we interacted with were very helpful. There is a nice restaurant for dinner as well as a smaller, less formal one for breakfast. No problems in recommending this hotel for a night or two in Juneau.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple