“Better than I expected”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I was pleased with my hotel room. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Staff was helpful and friendly. I was able to use the wifi with no problems.

There is no air conditioning but I was able to open the window for cool air.

There were good restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries near the hotel.

I would stay there again if I go to Juneau.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Westmark Baranof Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Located on the main street , the double bed was too soft and I kept rolling onto my husband. I ended up in the single bed in the room. no fridge and only enough coffee supplies for 2 cups
We had a fire alarm go off one morning, real fiasco. people milling around not sure what was going on. As we were going downstairs we were told by a staff member it was a false alarm.
Eventually when we were all outside, someone said they had smelled something on the 7th floor. The fire brigade finally arrived with an amubulance
We decided to go and get breakfast elswhere while they sorted things out

Room Tip: rear rooms would probably been quieter away from the street, and higher up (we were on 2nd Floor) b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was expecting something classic, maybe even a little classy. I had gone to events held at the Baranof and had eaten at the Gold Room, but the hotel service was very disappointing. The walls were thin, the bathroom in disrepair. The shower head wasn't properly attached to the wall and the water didn't get hot. In the morning of our one-night stay, housekeeping walked in while we were sleeping. In my experience in the hotel business, shouldn't they be aware of which rooms are occupied before starting turn overs?
Considering the price, I was expecting quite a bit more. There was nothing at all during my stay that impressed me.

Room Tip: If you can manage it, (and you have no other hotel options) try for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience when staying at the Baranof Westmark.

In the past several months we upgraded all of our hotel rooms with new mattress and flat screen TV’s and newly carpeted 70 of our rooms. We recently upgraded our elevator and we are continually upgrading the property. Please contact me anytime and thank you for your input.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review for the historic Baranof Westmark Hotel & Conference Center!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had an excellent experience staying here for 4 nights! The room was clean and comfy and the stay was very friendly. I was travelling with a service dog and they were very accommodating. The location is very convenient and walkable to everything in downtown. A free parking lot is provided behind the hotel if needed. I would recommend for anyone to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinion and for sharing such a positive comment about the Baranof Westmark on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Had this room for a conference. Hotel was not impressive. Clean but rundown, in bad need of a remodel. Weather was in the mid 70s and with no air conditioning room was warm and uncomfortable. Fortunately I was on the back side of the hotel so it wasn't noisy and I was able to keep my window open.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the unusual hot summer weather.

We have a variety of rooms at the Westmark. On your next visit to Juneau I would like to give you a tour of our rooms and show you the different room types we have to choose from. Sometimes in the summer it is quitter on a higher floor.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Near the tourist area of Juneau, this older hotel is quaint, with glass door knobs and classic woodwork. The wifi access can be a bit difficult, but they do have it. The fitness room is small. only one of the 2 treadmills is currently working and the TV in the fitness room wasn't working either. The rooms are clean but not modern. Fortunately, I did not have loud neighbors, or I would have heard every sound they made since soundproofing is lacking. There is no air conditioning and no hairdryer. If you want to be near the action, are going to be out and about a lot, and don't need the most modern amenities, then the Baranof is a good choice.

Room Tip: Avoid room 232. It is next door to the fitness center. Since soundproofing is minimal and the earl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting shops and the water front all within walking distance of our front door.

I noted your comment about the TV and the treadmill and we fixed both of these problems. Thank you for sharing this with us!

We hope to see you again very soon and appreciate you recommendation.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I want to prefic this review with the fact that I travel often for business (over 80 nights a year stayed in a hotel on average). I typically stay at Marriott or Hilton properities but rarely do I stay at their nicest brands.

This is my first time to Juneau and I was told to stay at this hotel by an experience Juneau traveler as it was "the best Juneau has to offer". There MUST be better places here. I can't believe a city that is so focused on tourism wouldn't have better properities. I have visualized several other hotels as I drove around (most of the ones on the top 10 list here) and none appear to be better from the outside.

Pro's: Clean, Bed is somewhat comfortable, and free Wifi (slow)

Con's: The hotel is old and outdated, they have made efforts to spruce things up like new fixtures and bathroom decor but the walls are thin and noise REALLY travels. Rooms are plain and boring, there are limited places to plug in a phone/laptop/etc. This hotel still expects travelers to go through the checkout process at the front counter on the way out and won't deliver a bill to the room unless requested the night before.

My biggest complaint is that I'm staying here while the temperature is in the 80's outside. This hotel has NO AC. I understand the basic premise of not needing AC in Alaska but when traveling on business I need to be able to get a good nights sleep and with the rates they are charging AC is a must. When I inquired about this I was told that there is a fan in every room that I could use. So my night consisted of the window being open with the fan going and the sun shining until midnight and back up at 4am.

Now what your are getting into and limit your expectations if you plan to stay at this property (or probably any property in Juneau).

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

I am so sorry that you had bad experience with the unusual hot summer weather. You can have an express check out if you call the front desk the night before. I am sorry it is not more convenient.