“Not a good place to stay.”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had paid in adavcne for my room and yet a depsoit of 200USD was demanded as secuirty for incidentals when I checked in. I paid cash and asked for a receipt. When I checked out the girl at the desk knew nothing about my deposit and when I showed her the receipt she was unable to refund me without the manager's assistance. He kept me waiting for 20 minutes before he attended to this and refundnd the money without apology for the delay or the slightest grace. This was not the only problem. I had beeen given when I checked in a voucher entitling me to 15% off my first meal in the restauarant. This was not given to me even after I presented the voucher and I was overcharged in addition to this. I had a steak which was advertised in the hotel lift at 25USD and was then charged 28US in the restaurant. I paid cash but the bill, which I had to ask for a copy of after I had paid showed the meal had been charged to my room. I was refunded in full when when I complained at reception, but again no apology was given for the mistakes and the refund was less than gracious. The room showed obvious signs of wear and a coffee cup and the shower both had cracks in them.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Richard M

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was the 2 nd stop on the trip. Although nice it was old and the rooms are tiny. The restaurants were nice and the lobby was clean. it looks like they built this with limited space and tried squeezing in as many rooms as possible. It is close to everything which is nice. At night thought the drunks and bigger drunks are everywhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ben D
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is a well kept up OLDER hotel with limited room options. We were able to get a room with a queen and a sofa bed for our grandson. No A/C and it was quite warm the first night, ~80. Nicely located, with a short walk to the cruise ship docks and capitol. Clean room, comfortable queen bed but limited electric outlets. Good breakfast room. Quiet hotel except you have to keep windows open for ventilation. Still it was quiet until ~7am or so. Personnel were friendly and helpful. I'd like to give it a 4th star, but can't quite accept it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Located one block from the main tourist precinct. Close but far enough away so it was nice & quiet. Rooms were clean & comfortable and the staff very helpful. My only criticism is that the walls are very thin & therefor you can hear your neighbours.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

At least that's what we were told upon arrival. We booked our reservations in February 2013 for two beds (one double/one twin), reconfirmed on July 1, 2013 and then showed up at the hotel for our July 6, 2013 stay. It was very frustrating for two friends traveling together to be given a room with one double bed. It took 20+ minutes at the front desk for the two gentlemen to finally find a room with two beds, even though we were told multiple times that though we reserved a room with two beds, no such room was available. The less than genuine "enjoy your stay" as we were handed our key cards to a room with two beds was the final straw. We would not stay here again.

Good location in the center of town. Small rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor at the back of the hotel. We didn't have any issue with street...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nancy H
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Helpful staff. Very easy to walk to all the major sites from the hotel including cable car - the last block is a bit rough, I was travelling alone, not sure i would have walked it very late at night, but there were plenty of people around in general. Ate there once and wasn't too impressed with the food. Room was fine, bathroom could do with maintenance but was okay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily K
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Competent helpful staff at The Westmark Baranof.Good location with access to all sites of interest.
Pronounced musty smell in lobby and our hallway,however,the room was OK.Within the lobby's large light domes were too many dead insects to count.Our room's bathroom door would not close at all and the soil/dust on the over sink light could have grown seeds with proper watering.
Bathroom floors had thick dirt in the corners plus red nail polish stains in the vinyl floor.
Directly behind our headboard was a cheap extension cord with three plug ins and no GFCI plug.
We asked for pillows since the two on the bed were flattened to 2" thick.The bed was comfortable but before retiring we unplugged a lamp from the extension cord to reduce the chance of a fire.
Perhaps the rustic and tattered appearance is designed to be the flavor of Juneau where hotel guests with a pick and gold pan are welcome.Cleanliness,however,should be fundamental.

Room Tip: Inspect the room for cleanliness before accepting.Rooms at back of hotel have view of the mountain a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple