“Wonderful hotel in a heart of Juneau.”

Westmark Baranof Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were staying at this hotel many years through out summer time. It wonderfully located in the heart of Juneau about 20 min ride from the airport. All hotel stuff are very friendly and making sure, that you will have fantastic stay and great experience. All, both restaurants and a bar/lounge offers delicious meals. The rooms are nice and clean, the beds are comfortable, so you can get a good night sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank lus1
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinion and for sharing such a positive comment about the Baranof Westmark on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay. We have a wide variety of rooms at the Westmark Baranof and we are continually updating the hotel.

Also, thank you so much mentioning that our staff being A+ - I will share your praises with all of the employees at our weekly staff meeting.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This must have been a very grand hotel when it first opened and it still retains a flavour of this, although much faded. It's conveniently located in the downtown and we were greeted cordially by reception staff. Our room was clean and spacious and had a lovely bathroom. There's not much I can add to this. Breakfast - not included - was fine but typically American, insofar as there was so much on my plate it was off-putting. But this isn't a failing of the hotel. We had an excellent snack lunch while waiting for our taxi on the last day. There's nothing outstanding about this hotel, but I'd certainly not be put off staying there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian W

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel and enjoyed the food in our restaurants. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting downtown shop’s and the state capital, all within walking distance of our front door.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortabl.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

After reading the reviews, I thought it couldn't be that bad. It was. My room was stifling hot, called down to the front desk and they told me to turn the baseboard heater off, it already was. Talked to a local tour guide yesterday, he told he had spent one week in the Baranof and had the same experience - but, he opened the window of his room and ravens flew in ate his food! The room was filthy, the carpet dirty, the headboard on the bed (faux leather?) was scratched up and disgusting. The lobby was being renovated for a Starbucks, so everything around the front desk was torn up. Fortunately, I decided to check out before I spent even one night there. I went down, told them I was leaving and got my money back (thank god). At $179 a night, this is one of the worst hotels I have ever seen (at that price). Had a taxi take me to the Goldbelt Hotel, which does not look good from the street (no curb appeal), but the rooms are far better than the Baranof. They gave me a room on the 5th floor with a view of the waterfront, for less than the Baranof.
I think the Baranof manager (?) at the front desk must have a lot of people leave unhappy because there was no argument from him at all.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kellykate67

I am sorry about your experience with the construction. We are in the process of putting in a Starbucks café in the lobby and this should be completed by mid-August.

On the day you arrived our temperature changed from the mid 50’s to 70’s over night. We worked very hard to cool down the building. I am so sorry your room was hot.

We have a variety of rooms at the Westmark. On your next visit to Juneau I would like to give you a tour of our rooms and show you the different room types we have to choose from.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Travelled from South Africa,Hotel itself is decent enough to stay in,Staff not helpful,found it very overpriced for what you are actually getting.Joined a cruise ship as staff member next day,nobody could tell me where to go to,had to rely on Google for that.Is it too much to ask to have a helpful local around?Hotel itself is well maintained and comfortable but my goodness did the staff ruin it for me or what!They were oblivious to the fact that I have never been Juneau all I wanted was a warm welcome and at least as a bare minimum useful information and assistance.

Room Tip: If your travelling as a Image Group crew member joining a ship the next day for your contract, ther...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us your valued feedback. You arrived to the hotel on the cusp of having a full staff for the summer. I am sorry our staff did not have a chance to offer answers to some of your questions regarding Juneau. We have just completed a customer service training this week to ensure our staff is able to answer questions.

Our city also offers information about Juneau at traveljuneau.com – This is a free resource.

In the past several months we upgraded all of our hotel rooms with new mattress and flat screen TV’s and newly carpeted 70 of our rooms. We recently upgraded our elevator and we are continually upgrading the property. Please contact me anytime and thank you for your input.

Again, we apologize about these unusual circumstances during your recent stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very old hotel, slow elevator that shook like it was in an earthquake, front desk help was incompetent, but that was all just a minor inconvenience compared to the fire on the 6th floor during our stay. I was glad that we had the maintenance man come up and change the battery in the chirping fire alarm at 10:30 PM Monday night as that turned out to be a good thing to have operating the next morning. I can overlook the pounding and power saws all day long for the construction work that we weren't told about until we were standing at the front desk using sign language because of the deafening noise, but the feeble attempts to add $40 to our credit card for a room upgrade was pretty disconcerting. It took two days and multiple attempts to get it done, only to discover the charge was not $40 as we were quoted, but twice that (+12% tax). We were happy to get the room upgrade as the bedrooms were not large enough to turn around in without climbing over the bed. Great weather, though, so I give it a solid one star.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. Better yet, try the Goldbelt hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael P
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Michael,

I am sorry about your experience with the construction. We are in the process of putting in a Starbucks café in the lobby and this should be completed by mid-June. Due to a guest leaving the room with food cooking on the stove the fire alarms did go off. We have a central sprinkler system that is installed throughout the entire facility because guest safety is of the upmost importance.

I also understand you upgraded to a higher category of room and these fees are based on a per night basis.

Again, we apologize about these unusual circumstances during your recent stay.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Excellent downtown location 4 blocks from the State government offices.
Pros: Gold Room has excellent food & wine selection. Bubble Lounge off the lobby is a great people-watching spot. Upper floor waterside rooms have sweeping views. Service is friendly & professional.
Cons: Meeting rooms are small & cold in winter. Heating system is antiquated in guest rooms.
Some guest rooms are tiny & odd, while others are modern & comfortable. Street noise at the 3 am downtown bar closings can be intense but is mercifully brief.

My favorite Juneau hotel for over 30 years.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Karen C
Dana R, Director of Sales at Westmark Baranof Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel and enjoyed the food at our Bubble Room Lounge. Being centrally located in downtown Juneau allows our guest the flexibility of visiting downtown shop’s and the state capital, all within walking distance of our front door.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and I am glad to hear that we succeeded. Thank you so much mentioning our staff, it is our mission to keep our facility updated and rooms comfortable

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Older Hotel but it has a great location and is very comfortable. Staff is A+ and keeps your rooms very tidy. I like that they added mini fridges since the last time I stayed. The only con that I can think of is room noise.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel