All reviews bubble room classic hotel in town older hotel hotel restaurant higher floor heart of downtown juneau hotel bella keli pat capital plugs plumbing docks mt kitchenette
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Let's face it ... your choices in Juneau are limited and the best -- which this is -- is modest in comparison with many hotels in other cities. Very clean. Friendly staff. Minor maintenance problem handled quickly. Terrific location. Go for an upper floor room with a view of the channel. Good coffee shop and an excellent restaurant on site (but go give the nearby Heritage Coffee a try if you're missing Starbucks). Free wifi in the lobby only, but at least there's a connection. If I'm ever back in Juneau, I'll be back to the Baranof.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank SanDiegoBajaboy
Reviewed 19 August 2008

This is an older property but the location can't be beat! They have kept it nicely updated and the lobby bar is lots of fun. The food in the cafe was excellent!
Staff was friendly but not very well trained. One young man took our luggage to our room, waited on us in the cafe for breakfast, brought us our room service, and helped us with a question at the front desk. He worked on a fishing boat last summer. The maintenance person who happened to be near the front desk was very helpful when we checked in, knowing more than the desk clerk.
Our room was on a corner and had incredible views of both the channel/harbor and the soaring mountain and waterfalls behind us. This is an older property and I suspect the bathrooms were retrofitted. We had a suite and the bathroom was tucked off a corner of the living room and was smaller than some of the closets. It was well appointed but nothing fancy.
The one suggestion I would make for the Baranof would be to update their beds. At $250 a night it seems like a pillowtop mattress would be appropriate.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheNunamakers
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I stayed at the Westmark Baranof for one night in July. I chose the property because of its location in Juneau. No car is needed to get around downtown Juneau if you stay here. While I love the location, the hotel and staff leaves much to be desired. I found the front desk staff to be unfriendly on check-in and whenever I had a question. The most disappointing, however, was the staff in the restaurant. I was a solo traveler and I went to the restaurant for dinner. The host eyed me up and down and then suggested that I may want to go to another restaurant since there would be such a wait. Clearly they were more interested in serving couples or larger parties but had no interest in a solo traveler looking for dinner on a Sunday evening. The hotel property is quite old and run-down. It is in need of serious work. I think that its appeal has rested on past service but today the quality of service does not live up to other classic hotels or even the Westmark chain. Much could be done by simply doing something about the front desk and restaurant host and staff to add some quality and class to this hotel. Of all the Westmark Hotels, it is the most pricey. I think there are better values to be found in Juneau rather than staying here.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Frbill92
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We were not overnight guests at this hotel as it was a stop on our cruise ship itinerary but we did eat lunch at their restaurant. It was recommended by someone on the Juneau forum and we were glad we took their suggestion. We both had the reuben and I have to say it had more corn beef, ect. piled on it than any other restaurant....I could hardly get my mouth over it! Husband had onion rings and I had the fresh fruit with it (and there was lots of it and plenty of variety.) We paid only $8.95 and were happy as bugs in a rug. Would have gone back if the ship had stayed over a night. For Juneau in the summer we were very surprised at the price and the quality.

Elizabeth

Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2008

Upon my arrival at the Baranof, my reservation could not be located even though I had called to confirm and had a printed confirmation from the property. Luckily for me, there was a room available and I was given the rate stated on my printed confirmation. The Baranof is probably the most elegant hotel (as elegant as it can be in Alaska) in Juneau and is located downtown, within easy walking to the cruise ship docks, all downtown shopping, museums, and dining, and all downtown government buildings. My room faced the Gastineau Channel. It was very clean and nicely furnished. I was given a 15% discount card for dining at the Gold Room, located within the hotel. The meal was excellent (halibut cheeks) and the service attentive and pleasant. There was a computer terminal available in the lobby for guests for email or flight check-in. I was fortunate to see 4th of July fireworks from my hotel room - a perfect view. The Baranof offers free parking for guests, located behind the hotel in a lot. My rating of this property is neutral only because of the inability to locate or maintain my reservation. Overall, the hotel is above average and a nice play to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo