All reviewsbubble roomclassic hotelin townolder hotelhotel restauranthigher floorheart of downtownjuneau hotelbellapatcapitalplugsplumbingdockskitchenette
Reviewed 25 February 2009

First let me say that I am from Alaska. I understand that Juneau is not the center of the known universe. I travel a lot from the bush to Anchorage and I think I have been spoiled staying in nice hotels in Anchorage such as the Homewood, Residence or the Dimond. About once a year I travel to juneau.

First the bad points.....
The first problem I had was with parking. If you have rented a car this is probably not the place for you. If you arrive at the hotel after 7pm finding parking is near impossible. If you are lucky enough to find a spot in their treacherously slippery parking lot it is such a tight squeeze you wonder how you will back out. If there is no space available you are on your own to wander the streets of Juneau trying to find a place to park on the street for the night where you won't get towed. Good luck!

The rooms are VERY small. I hope you don't have a lot of luggage because there won't be any room left for you. The beds are poor. The mattress are cheap and hard and the springs make noise when you move. The tv's are small too and the picture quality is not so great. There is no ventilation. I think (but I haven't tried) I could open the window but the street is pretty noisy. They do provide a fan in the room. The toiletries they offer are no-name brand. You don't get separate shampoo and conditioner, just some green "conditioning shampoo". There is no exhaust fan (that I could find) in the bathroom so when you take a shower it becomes a sauna in there.

No complimentary breakfast (that I was aware of) which was a bummer.

Oh and the rooms need more electrical outlets. I don't want to have to crawl around looking for outlets to charge my cell phone and laptop

The good.....
I didn't have any problem with the hotel staff, even when I was ticked off about the parking situation. They were nice enough. They were pretty sympathetic about the problem even if they didn't offer any real solutions.

The hotel has high speed wireless internet access. It worked.

The hotel is conveniently located in downtown near the capital building and other state offices. Most are within walking distance.

The bathrooms are very small but newly remodeled with nice enough fixtures. The shower had great water pressure, at least it did in my room.

The building is vintage and there is only so much you can do with a place like this....HOWEVER, it would improve things greatly with decent tv's, some ventilation and comfortable mattresses. All in all this is not a BAD place, but I will probably look into staying somewhere else next time I am in Juneau.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Aqvaluq_OTZ
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Let's face it ... your choices in Juneau are limited and the best -- which this is -- is modest in comparison with many hotels in other cities. Very clean. Friendly staff. Minor maintenance problem handled quickly. Terrific location. Go for an upper floor room with a view of the channel. Good coffee shop and an excellent restaurant on site (but go give the nearby Heritage Coffee a try if you're missing Starbucks). Free wifi in the lobby only, but at least there's a connection. If I'm ever back in Juneau, I'll be back to the Baranof.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SanDiegoBajaboy
Reviewed 19 August 2008

This is an older property but the location can't be beat! They have kept it nicely updated and the lobby bar is lots of fun. The food in the cafe was excellent!
Staff was friendly but not very well trained. One young man took our luggage to our room, waited on us in the cafe for breakfast, brought us our room service, and helped us with a question at the front desk. He worked on a fishing boat last summer. The maintenance person who happened to be near the front desk was very helpful when we checked in, knowing more than the desk clerk.
Our room was on a corner and had incredible views of both the channel/harbor and the soaring mountain and waterfalls behind us. This is an older property and I suspect the bathrooms were retrofitted. We had a suite and the bathroom was tucked off a corner of the living room and was smaller than some of the closets. It was well appointed but nothing fancy.
The one suggestion I would make for the Baranof would be to update their beds. At $250 a night it seems like a pillowtop mattress would be appropriate.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheNunamakers
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I stayed at the Westmark Baranof for one night in July. I chose the property because of its location in Juneau. No car is needed to get around downtown Juneau if you stay here. While I love the location, the hotel and staff leaves much to be desired. I found the front desk staff to be unfriendly on check-in and whenever I had a question. The most disappointing, however, was the staff in the restaurant. I was a solo traveler and I went to the restaurant for dinner. The host eyed me up and down and then suggested that I may want to go to another restaurant since there would be such a wait. Clearly they were more interested in serving couples or larger parties but had no interest in a solo traveler looking for dinner on a Sunday evening. The hotel property is quite old and run-down. It is in need of serious work. I think that its appeal has rested on past service but today the quality of service does not live up to other classic hotels or even the Westmark chain. Much could be done by simply doing something about the front desk and restaurant host and staff to add some quality and class to this hotel. Of all the Westmark Hotels, it is the most pricey. I think there are better values to be found in Juneau rather than staying here.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Frbill92
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We were not overnight guests at this hotel as it was a stop on our cruise ship itinerary but we did eat lunch at their restaurant. It was recommended by someone on the Juneau forum and we were glad we took their suggestion. We both had the reuben and I have to say it had more corn beef, ect. piled on it than any other restaurant....I could hardly get my mouth over it! Husband had onion rings and I had the fresh fruit with it (and there was lots of it and plenty of variety.) We paid only $8.95 and were happy as bugs in a rug. Would have gone back if the ship had stayed over a night. For Juneau in the summer we were very surprised at the price and the quality.

Elizabeth