“BED BUGS!!!!”

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Please don't stay here. We had bed bugs and there was a pair of dirty boxers and a dirty sock hanging over the pipe over our bed. We welcome the antiques and old feel. That actually appeals to us. What did not appeal to us was when we told the front desk we had bed bugs and they said, "AGAIN?!" We stayed in room 306 and had our own (moldy and pubic hair filled) bathroom. The people at the front desk were nice though and it was in a very convenient location. Such a shame.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less likely you'll get noise from the bar.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank emblizz

Reviewed 26 August 2012

This location has been making guests Feel welcome longer than any other tavern in Juneau. It is the oldest operating bar in Juneau (and a former Bordello).. Had a great time with PBR cans for $2.75, and the same Alaskan pints sold all over Alaska for $6 or more for only $5 here. The bartender is from Detroit and he’s very personable. Ironically, I met a bar full of folks from the Northeast, from places I have lived or lived near, or live now currently. Only in Juneau. If you’re here and you’re ready for a drink, look no further than this venue. I could easily call this a home favorite as a resident. Nice job Alaskan Hotel Bar! Check out the photos.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I am a prior Alaska resident, now long removed but recently took a self guided trip with a good friend and our sons, aged 7 and 9. We stayed in the Westin Grand in Vancouver but as our travel continued north, we stayed at lesser luxury but increasingly unique and memorable places. I strongly considered staying at the best rated places but knew that staying near the airport made a car or taxi necessary to go back and forth.

I decided to stay downtown at this hotel for location. I knew the Baranoff around the corner was "nicer" but for the price for small rooms and little charm wasn't worth it. I must say I was surprised by our experience. We stayed in a suite, supposedly haunted, and had a great time. It had windows to open for ventilation, was high enough that we were not disturbed by noise, and had a fun bar for the dads to get a beer/drink. We had a great stay....sure it is dingy, occassional smells of marijuana in the halls and laughter and music coming from rooms but it is a living place.....except for the ghost in our room. It is a place for those looking for adventure, fun and a central location. Sure it isn't the Westin but keep a seasoned traveler attitude and enjoy it for what it is and keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank snydersonthego
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The Alaskan isn't the newest hotel around- but that's part of its appeal. After a negative experience at the Juneau Hostel, I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff at the Alaskan. We booked a room that was too smoky for us, and the management upgraded us at no extra charge. Also, they were helpful in providing us directions and information about the town. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed at the Alaskan Hotel in June for 2 nights. I'm not into staying at 4 or 5 star establishments, all I wanted was a bed and working wi-fi, which is what I got. The hotel itself is nearly 100 years old, and it shows, but to me, that aged character really appealed. My room was something out of the early 1900's, and I used a shared bathroom down the hall. They were fine. The hotel bar was great, the staff friendly, and the price for what you get was reasonable. Not for everybody, but for me it was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Graeme J
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Spent 4th of July in Juneau. This is a old hotel built in the 1900's. nothing fancy but, fun for a place to crash and convenient to walk everywhere downtown. No elevators and not for those expecting top of the line accommodations. The front desk folks are all international and a little hard to understand for instance I asked where the closest laundromat was only to find that I had coin operated facilities on my floor. There's a pretty happening bar downstairs with lots of live music, so worthy of a nightcap.

Room Tip: Pay extra to have a private bathroom, so worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pattislater
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Alaskan Hotel & Bar in June and could not have asked for a cooler place. Great for the independent traveler. The location can not be beat. The room was comfortable and had the feel of yesteryear. The bar was great and a lot of fun with live music and nice friendly people. The decore with its stained glass lamps, rich dark wood bar and old pictures certainly brings one to imagine this gem in its heyday. Thank you Ken for a great stay. We would definitely stay at The Alaskan if we find ourselves in Juneau again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple