“Real old building, cheap and ok rooms”

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Center great location, and very cool old vibe. Since we were not drinking we skipped the bar. The room was hidden on the third floor and it was ok. We enjoyed it even if we had some problems with the bathroom door and with the tv maybe with the micro as well if I remember well:-) But it was still fun and worth every penny. But dont expect any modern comfort.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank beavisnail

Reviewed 28 June 2013

A budget stay in the downtown area close to shopping. Parking is in an alley up a hill behind the hotel. A decent place to overnight on a budget but it was very noisy and was not well monitored after hours. I was so tired I slept through the ruckus but it would be challenging otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was looking for something affordable and was thrilled when I found this place which seemed to be centrally located. I booked a room with a kitchen and queen bed, with a shared bathroom on the floor. The kitchen turned out to be a stove with two burners and a mini fridge, though there were no pots, pans, dishes, or cutlery. So I imagine when I am on vacation I am expected to bring my own pots? The room had a window that opened but absolutely no circulating air so the room was consistently 20 degrees warmer than the outside temperature.

After the first night, I left the room at 10am and left the "make up the room" sign on the door. I returned at 1pm to find the room had not been made up, and when I asked the maid she told me she was just about to clean the room because they cleaned the rooms where people had just checked out first. I told her she could clean it after I left again. I went out again at 3pm and I told the same maid she could now clean the room and she told me she was now off duty. Apparently rooms in this hotel are only cleaned between 1pm and 3pm if you aren't checking out.

There were 2 showers on the floor but one of them was out of order for my entire 3 night stay, which left only 1 shower for the whole floor. I inquired about this was assured it would be fixed soon but it never was.

I was informed during check in that the front door to reception would be locked at 2am and not be reopened until 7am. As I had an early flight I decided to check out the night before. I went down to the front desk and waited for the gentleman to acknowledge me as he was sitting all the way to the back. He was on his phone and listening to a rap song with inappropriate lyrics. When I finally said "excuse me" he got up, annoyed, and left the inappropriate music playing. As I was waiting for him to settle my bill, I could not believe what I was hearing in the song, and the clerk seemed unphased. I realize when someone is working unsupervised they can pretty much do what they want, but I would expect when a guest arrives the music should be turned off. If children were present i would have been horrified.

All in all, I was looking for something affordable and I got what in paid for. If you are trying to save some money and can put up with what I mentioned above go for it. If not, spend a few extra dollars to stay in a nicer place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank MVer316
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Loved this historic location, great access to downtown and the bar with a good price. This place great character and is clean. It may not be the best fit for some crowds but for the adventurous traveler it covers all of the bases. Loved the showers. Walls are thin, as is expected for a building of this age. My only suggestion is better locks on the doors for added security but we felt safe.

Room Tip: Third or fourth floors are good, try to stay away from the bar if you are considering going to bed b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

If you are a pompous tourist, this may not be for you. But, if you are looking for a real Alaska experience, this location is ideal. Super friendly staff. Will, Scott And Annie treated us so well. Awesome music in the bar. Super clean rooms. Historic decor. Seriously fun!!!!! I will only stay at the Alaska hotel from now on.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank RowanandJenny
Reviewed 25 February 2013

One of the great experiences, providing you have a sense of humour. The staff were great, the bed was good, bath/shower was good but it is what it is - one of the historic hotels in the Northwest. The bar and the entertainment was terrific and we all had a lovely time. Take off the 5 star mantle and just relax and enjoy the charm and character of this wonderful old girl.
Yes walls may be thin, music may permeate from down below and the garbage trucks were in my room I thought, but it was a hoot - I want to go back to Alaska and I would want to stay there ! We did have our own rooms with facilities.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a very unique place to stay. If you are looking for a place that is full of history (they say it is haunted as well) and not fancy, then you will enjoy staying at this one of a kind hotel. Walking in the door and up the steps (no elevators) to the rooms takes you back in time. You can choose to stay in a room with a private bathroom or in a dorm style room with a community bath (just like in the "good old days". My husband and I took my dad and mom here for a get away and we all enjoyed the adventure of stepping back in time. The rooms were very clean and the staff very friendly. Our rooms were above the main street and we could here the bar crowd in the evening. I imagine it was similar to the wild west and gold rush days. Yes, this place is old (that's the charm) and yes, the walls are thin, but we enjoyed our stay and the location was perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms above the street have bar noise (from the Alaskan Bar) until closing about 2:00 AM. It didn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family