“Not that bad”

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Stayed there for 3 nights. Be careful when choosing your rooms! The hotel is on the Alaskan Bar, a charming place to have a drink while a band is playing. The rooms in the lower floors will be very noisy! We stayed in the 2nd floor and it was ok. Little rooms, old furniture but a decent bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Alaskan Hotel & Bar

Reviewed 7 July 2008

I lived in Juneau many years ago and know that hotels in Alaska are sometimes not as elegant or well-maintained as those in the lower 48. However, the Alaskan Hotel is well below the average. It is basically a low-income hotel with, it appears, many people living there on a more long-term basis. I knowingly reserved 2 rooms ($60 each) with the bath in the hallway. The showers were dirty and in fact, there wasn't any hot water in one of them. The rooms were dirty (the sheets were clean). In the advertisement, it says that the owners have restored it in the Victorian style. Nonsense! It is dilapidated, not restored nor renovated, and is obviously not well maintained at all. However, the man at the front desk was nice. My family and I were able to laugh at what a dump it was, but we definately would never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank mel024
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We were a school group if 12 people. We were on two different floors, and the owner did his best to meet our needs. It was not quite what we thought it would be. However, I do not think it would be a good place for students. I would stay there on my own though. After the first few days, we got used to it and it was alright.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 8 June 2008

This hotel is indeed charming, but it is also dirty, noisy, and beat up. You will hear everything from adjacent rooms, doors slamming, and street noise from the ever present local drunks. Of a 4 night stay, I had maid service once and water hot enough for a shower twice. A solid night's sleep is not possible.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank mrkeene
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Ok so we did have a little confusion upon checking in however it was booked by a previous employee. Any business owner knows you can't have your business judged by a bad apple. Although inconvenient in the beginning, the manager did right by us. My boyfriend is a local, flying for a helicopter company during the tourist season. I have multiple trips and wanted a place to call "home" while there. It is rustic and quaint. But it's ALASKA! If I wanted the Four Seasons, I'd pick another state. But to get the true local feel, this is the place to be! I like my sleep and outdoors and downtown life. This had a nice mixture. I'm not on my honeymoon, nor a business trip. So for everything else, I'd highly recommend it! Get your own breakfast and enjoy the REAL ALASKA!!! Thanks Alaskan hotel, see you in July!! Jessica & Steve

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2007

This hotel was a bad experience. I stayed just one night at the beginnig of march. My room was not heated (it was snowing outside), and the guy at the reception desk was so absorbed by his computer game that he would give less than a minimal service. It was not very clean, someone had started to do some plastering in the stairway but had not finshed. You also hear exactly what is happening in your neibours room, not the best for a good sleep. Returning at night I discovered that my room key would not open the main door and found out that I had to enter through a neighbouring bar 60$ and no breakfast: not to recomend
Had a much better experience in Youth Hostels all over the world... for less!

Reviewed 28 July 2005

The Alaskan Hotel is one of the most authentic, charming, and "real" places I have ever visited. It was built almost a hundred years ago, or so I was told by a nice gentleman at the front desk. There is also a book written about it by the owner, whom I didn't meet. In my opinion, just the building deserves a book, but the characters! The feel of the place. Wow! It wasn't the quietest place on earth, and I was warned ahead of time, but really, who wants a quiet, run-of-the-mill hotel experience, anyway?

Well, I guess that I wouldn't recommend it for those expecting a "chain hotel" experience. A lot of people complain about the place, and the things that I've read about it really say less about the hotel and more about those who would defame such a jewel. I discovered this hotel just by walking through downtown Juneau, and didn't even recognize it at first. I walked in, and the first thing I saw was a bar that looked like something from the 19th century. It was like something out of a movie I'd seen, or several. I felt like I was in the bar from Cheers, but with an Alaskan hitch to it. Later, I read the book, and found out that the entire place had been saved from demolition and restored by the owners.

Cool place, gotta see it. Really!

Jim Frankley