“Avoid at all costs!”

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Houston, Texas
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We were excited about staying at this historic hotel. It had been recommended in a guidebook which did NOT prepare us for the fact that it is now essentially a flophouse. The desk wanted a $50 deposit for any damages we might cause and there was a sign posted that all visitors must leave by 11 p.m. plus anyone not inside the hotel by 2 am would be locked out until 5 am. To say the people coming and going were a bit seedy would be an understatement.

I do hope the management restores this great hotel to its former excellence.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nea49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The guidebook said this place was basic but that it was clean and had historic charm. The outside is definitely charming, but inside it is filthy, noisy, run down. We had to switch floors because NONE of the shared bathrooms was usable on our original floor and the staff told me they had no intention of cleaning them up (prior occupants soiled the seats in one and the other was clogged). In our 'new' room, the window was broken. The owner came up to give me some duct tape to 'fix' it myself and he implied that I was lucky he didn't charge me for breaking it. The bathroom on that floor did flush and wasn't smeared with waste, but the toilet seat came off in my hand when I tried to lower it.
The place is popular with the frat crowd so it is noisy and smoky (despite the signs throughout saying no smoking because of the historic all-wood construction). The staff were indifferent at best and rude more often.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank debbiebrooklyn

Travellers are raving about these Juneau hotels

calif
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I wanted to travel just like a pioneer, without camping out, I wanted basics, a bed and a toliet and historic- surroundings---so there is no hairdryer, coffemaker, no hotel wake-up call etc---
my room was cute in a very old=fashion way--yes there were some areas that could have been touched up, but I did find it to be clean--aliitle cold so I asked for another blanket--I
had no phone or clock--so I used my cell phone for an alarm as i had some very early trips planned---I did have a tv---It truley met my needs--resturants are right there, the barnoff
hotel is just a few buildings up for a nice place for breakfast and lunch--closed for dinner,
best to go to red dog saloon-just a block away and the hotel is mins away from the tracy
arms tour and a few blocks away from the main dock.-----

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank pennyhenny743
timbz
Reviewed 2 September 2008

This place was truly a dump. Noisy, smelly, dirty. We paid extra for a bathroom and the shower didn't work at all. No adjusment was made to our bill.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timbz
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Stayed there for 3 nights. Be careful when choosing your rooms! The hotel is on the Alaskan Bar, a charming place to have a drink while a band is playing. The rooms in the lower floors will be very noisy! We stayed in the 2nd floor and it was ok. Little rooms, old furniture but a decent bathroom.

• Liked — The place
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Quebec
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I lived in Juneau many years ago and know that hotels in Alaska are sometimes not as elegant or well-maintained as those in the lower 48. However, the Alaskan Hotel is well below the average. It is basically a low-income hotel with, it appears, many people living there on a more long-term basis. I knowingly reserved 2 rooms ($60 each) with the bath in the hallway. The showers were dirty and in fact, there wasn't any hot water in one of them. The rooms were dirty (the sheets were clean). In the advertisement, it says that the owners have restored it in the Victorian style. Nonsense! It is dilapidated, not restored nor renovated, and is obviously not well maintained at all. However, the man at the front desk was nice. My family and I were able to laugh at what a dump it was, but we definately would never stay there again.

• Liked — good location in downtown Juneau
  • Disliked — everything else about the hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank mel024
ramblin'
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We were a school group if 12 people. We were on two different floors, and the owner did his best to meet our needs. It was not quite what we thought it would be. However, I do not think it would be a good place for students. I would stay there on my own though. After the first few days, we got used to it and it was alright.

• Liked — It was in the middle of town, and a 5min walk from everywhere
  • Disliked — umm... we had young highschool students with us. There is a bar downstairs. VERY LOUD.
  • Stayed June 2008