Breakwater Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed here for only one night coming from the East Coast and starting a cruise the next day. We had to get in a day early to make the embarkation on a Friday, June 8th. Unfortunately our timing couldn't have been worse. It seems that many cruises started the same day and many people stay over before the cruise. There was also a Native American bi-annual celebration taking place starting Thursday and running through Sunday. Every hotel room in Juneau was taken. We felt lucky to get a room at all. We were not looking forward to staying at the Breakwater Inn after reading the many negative reviews. Our room was not fancy but clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nothing special but adequate and clean as well. We were on the mountainside so we didn't have the street noise as many complained about. The on site restaurant was pretty sorry. Very limited menu and most of it Asian. Only one other couple came in while we were there. We ended up ordering a burger. It was less expensive than most of the hotels in Juneau. OK - for one night.

Room Tip: Definitely get a mountainside room. It is very loud on the harborside
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2011

the only nice thing i can really say about this hotel is the view over looking the ocean.
other than that the rooms were old & run down with paper thin walls.
smokers from the pub were noisy as they smoked on the deck infront of our door too!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DGA69
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This place used to be a good old fashioned, rocking joint! It was called Troxels for a brief period and was great! Six nights a week there was a line at the door. Now it is no more than an obvious attempt by the dude that owns the realestate to replicate what Troxels was pulling off. A crying shame that any local would ever step foot into this place. Try an go see Rob and crew down at the Hanger. They are just as consistent and as good as Troxels was.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank skippy h
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We had a bad experience at the Breakwater Inn. Here is what happened:

We spent a totally sleepless night at the Breakwater Inn (BI) because of rowdiness in the next room (loud music, loud voices, arguments, pounding on wall, floor & furniture, etc.). Although we called the reception desk three times to complain, the noise continued through the night and was still going on when we got up at 4:00 am to catch an early flight. It got so bad that the police was called in and as we were leaving (5:00 am) policemen were escorting a woman out. When we asked the reception clerk for a refund for that sleepless night, we were told the manager would call us later. He never called. We sent him an email to explain what had happened and to request a refund. We got no answer. We wrote to him by regular mail and again we got no answer.

The BI advertises “Free Shuttle to the airport,” but during our stay that service was not offered before 6:00 am. If you need to catch an early flight, you will have to call a taxi. When you adjust the advertised room price to reflect this extra cost, there are better deals in Juneau.

Depending on where your room is located in the BI, your “No Smoking” room may be fed smoke from the rest of the hotel via the air system, and through your bathroom. We spent three nights with smoke coming through our bathroom. A week later, we were in a room which was apparently sheltered from smoke. But that was the room where we had to listen to noise all night long.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 154945Anne
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Dirty, nasty, icky, gross. If you are a person with extremely low standards who doesn't mind a totally dirty place, you'll be ok. This is one of the worst places ever. The website is terribly misleading. The place needs a paint job inside and out. It needs cleaning inside and out. The "private balcony" statement is a total fabrication...they have one long balcony with a low railing separating one unit from the next. Avoid this place. We checked out 30mins after checking in. We only stayed that long in order to make other arrangements.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TroyD36
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Didn't get picked up at the airport because the young receptionist messed up names. Had to take taxi after hotel let me wait more than one hour at the tiny airport (how can you miss a arriving guest??). Not a sign of appology. Hotel promised refund of the taxi, but credit card billed showed the refund withdrawn AFTER I left the hotel one day later. Wifi only works at the reception, not in room, noisy room, very unpolite staff (but not all, depending who was at the desk).
A long way from the town. Next time I'd spend an extra 20$ for a most likely way better accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank France77
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I arrived on a ferry early morning (5am), and knew I should wait a little while before trying early check in. In making my reservations, I was not assured early check in, but he said it would be possible they'd have some rooms ready that early. When I arrived at 8:30am, I was hit by a combined odor of rotting wood and pub haze. Another gentleman from my ferry was at the desk. The clerk did not acknowledge me at all, and I patiently waited, listening to the other gentleman's woes. HE had been guaranteed that a room would be available this early; he and his family were exhausted. No such luck. (Initially, I thought the man was just grumpy.) Additionally, the clerk insisted that he run a credit card, but the man had paid through Expedia.com and HAD A RECEIPT. The clerk raised his voice and made no attempt at courtesy or empathy. I'd had enough. I had been there for 10 minutes and figured I'd have plenty to do in Juneau for a few hours. Upon my return 3 1/2 hours later, the same man was there, arguing with another clerk that he'd been charged for too many people! The girl would not bend- isn't the customer always right? This time, however, another staff member helped me. I pulled out a post-it that had many important phone numbers and confirmation numbers for my trip so I could tell her my info. She cut me off mid-sentence- twice- and then GRABBED my post it out of my hand. I was still friendly until the end (usually it brings out the good in customer service people, but not this time). She was rude and abrupt, and when inquired about early check-in, she said "nope, see you at 3." Ok then. I arrive at 2, realizing I'd left my post it with her, and she said she'd thrown it away, and I could HELP HER LOOK FOR IT IN THE DUMPSTER, and the whole while she was on the phone! I followed her and she never held doors for me or did any of those normal polite gestures human beings do. I was floored. Finally, she rung me up for my room, and as I always do, I mentioned, "By the way, I'm not sure if the guy making my reservation wrote on the computer that I have two dogs" - the ENTIRE reason I chose this place, by the way, is that they allowed pets- "Do I need to sign anything?" She replies, "Oh, we don't allow pets." Of course I'm dumbfounded, because I confirmed several times with my reservations that my dogs could stay. Eventually, she says, "Fine. Let me ask my boss." A few seconds later, she returns to say, "I'll refund your money." WHAT? And sleep outside? No offer of another hotel or anything? I've been waiting since 5am to sleep! This is high season, and where the heck am I going to find another room for less than $100- my per diem allotted to me by the government? I calmly- seriously, I'm still trying to be nice to see if she would return the favor- asked if she knew of a hotel that allowed dogs. After dismissing the question as though I'd not asked, helping another customer, and answering 2 phone calls, I asked again and she said, "Yeah, the Alaskan. Here's their number. You can call from your phone." No kidding, that's what she said. I said, "Thanks!" And called. Good luck, you miserable place, in keeping customers with that kind of service.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business