“Convenient to the Aurora Harbor”
Review of Breakwater Inn

Breakwater Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, once in the summer of 2008 and again in 2012. It is right across the street from the Aurora Basin boat harbor so it is convenient for anyone arriving in Juneau in their own boat. I arrived by kayak after paddling the Inside Passage from Bellingham, Washington and the location was perfect for my needs.
Both times the rooms were clean and faced the waterfront with a nice view. The first time I paid $100 and the second $110 for a room for one person. There is a restaurant in the hotel with a nice view of the waterfront and good food for reasonable prices. It is about a 30 minute walk to downtown along the scenic waterfront. A grocery store, hardware store, various restaurants, and laundry mat are within walking distance

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank denisonline
There are newer reviews for Breakwater Inn

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Worst hotel on the planet. First I booked because their website listed a pool and fitness room under hotel amenities, what it did not say is that the pool they were referring to is some kind of youth rec center two or three miles away that is not in anyway associated with this hotel,meaning you have to pay extra. Bottom line, they lied about their amenities.

This place obviously cares about their bar and restaurant before their hotel. However, beware of the restaurant too - they serve Costco hotdog buns as their form of garlic bread. Do not eat or stay here, especially if I don't have healthcare insurance.

Hotel- you can't open windows on one side due to traffic noise, the other side- drunks that are loud, belligerent and smoking non-stop. I got 0 sleep the couple of nights I was there. Drunks everywhere, next door, outside, in hallways.
Place is dirty and gross, staff is not friendly at all, they act like you are a pest and annoying them.

Loud, dirty, rude and dishonest - sums it all up! Saving a bit of money is just not worth it, even if you are broke. Pay extra $10 a night elsewhere and you will have much better time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Tanya L
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Basic rooms here in an older building. Downtown but 15 minute walk to 'downtown' and the action. Nice view and the shuttle to the ski hill stops right across the road. Staff are friendly enough. Bar and restaurant is above the room we stayed in. It was louder in the day than at night. Decent for the price but nothing special.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

No frills here but property was clean and staff were friendly. They accommodated our group of six adults and and it was a good basic stay. If you don't need a lot of amenities and want to save a few pennies, then stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandy L
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 months while I was working a summer job in Juneau. The best things about the hotel were the price and location. For us being downtown was extremely important! The Breakwater was also the cheapest extended stay hotel we could find. The rooms are clean and comfortable nothing fancy for sure. Some of the rooms have kitchenettes which is nice.

Be sure to try the Chinese food and checkout the view from the Restaurant/ Bar on the top floor!

Room Tip: The Harbor View Rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank WYglobetrotter
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights while my wife was in hospital. A grim looking run down place which is very noisy if you stay in a room overlooking the main road. It was very hot but there was a fan in the room. The bar was welcoming and the drunks were friendly!. Only Asian food or burgers etc available in the evenings. No breakfast at hotel so had a ten minute walk towards downtown to supermarket for food. Found out later the hotel is on bus route. I paid by credit card for three nights when I checked in. I only stayed for two nights and when I checked out at 10am the "manager" made as if he was doing me a big favour by refunding the charge for the third night. I shall keep a check that it is refunded on my credit card. Luckily I was able to make alternative accommodation arrangements in Juneau before we flew home. Local people I spoke to about the Breakwater Inn had good things to say about what it used to be like so I assume it has recently gone downhill. Only stay in an emergency.

Room Tip: If you have to stay then stay at the back. A half hourly bus service runs along Glacier Ave at the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed here for only one night coming from the East Coast and starting a cruise the next day. We had to get in a day early to make the embarkation on a Friday, June 8th. Unfortunately our timing couldn't have been worse. It seems that many cruises started the same day and many people stay over before the cruise. There was also a Native American bi-annual celebration taking place starting Thursday and running through Sunday. Every hotel room in Juneau was taken. We felt lucky to get a room at all. We were not looking forward to staying at the Breakwater Inn after reading the many negative reviews. Our room was not fancy but clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nothing special but adequate and clean as well. We were on the mountainside so we didn't have the street noise as many complained about. The on site restaurant was pretty sorry. Very limited menu and most of it Asian. Only one other couple came in while we were there. We ended up ordering a burger. It was less expensive than most of the hotels in Juneau. OK - for one night.

Room Tip: Definitely get a mountainside room. It is very loud on the harborside
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple