“AWFUL”

and 1 more site!
Breakwater Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Dirty, nasty, icky, gross. If you are a person with extremely low standards who doesn't mind a totally dirty place, you'll be ok. This is one of the worst places ever. The website is terribly misleading. The place needs a paint job inside and out. It needs cleaning inside and out. The "private balcony" statement is a total fabrication...they have one long balcony with a low railing separating one unit from the next. Avoid this place. We checked out 30mins after checking in. We only stayed that long in order to make other arrangements.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TroyD36

Reviewed 9 August 2010

Didn't get picked up at the airport because the young receptionist messed up names. Had to take taxi after hotel let me wait more than one hour at the tiny airport (how can you miss a arriving guest??). Not a sign of appology. Hotel promised refund of the taxi, but credit card billed showed the refund withdrawn AFTER I left the hotel one day later. Wifi only works at the reception, not in room, noisy room, very unpolite staff (but not all, depending who was at the desk).
A long way from the town. Next time I'd spend an extra 20$ for a most likely way better accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank France77
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I arrived on a ferry early morning (5am), and knew I should wait a little while before trying early check in. In making my reservations, I was not assured early check in, but he said it would be possible they'd have some rooms ready that early. When I arrived at 8:30am, I was hit by a combined odor of rotting wood and pub haze. Another gentleman from my ferry was at the desk. The clerk did not acknowledge me at all, and I patiently waited, listening to the other gentleman's woes. HE had been guaranteed that a room would be available this early; he and his family were exhausted. No such luck. (Initially, I thought the man was just grumpy.) Additionally, the clerk insisted that he run a credit card, but the man had paid through Expedia.com and HAD A RECEIPT. The clerk raised his voice and made no attempt at courtesy or empathy. I'd had enough. I had been there for 10 minutes and figured I'd have plenty to do in Juneau for a few hours. Upon my return 3 1/2 hours later, the same man was there, arguing with another clerk that he'd been charged for too many people! The girl would not bend- isn't the customer always right? This time, however, another staff member helped me. I pulled out a post-it that had many important phone numbers and confirmation numbers for my trip so I could tell her my info. She cut me off mid-sentence- twice- and then GRABBED my post it out of my hand. I was still friendly until the end (usually it brings out the good in customer service people, but not this time). She was rude and abrupt, and when inquired about early check-in, she said "nope, see you at 3." Ok then. I arrive at 2, realizing I'd left my post it with her, and she said she'd thrown it away, and I could HELP HER LOOK FOR IT IN THE DUMPSTER, and the whole while she was on the phone! I followed her and she never held doors for me or did any of those normal polite gestures human beings do. I was floored. Finally, she rung me up for my room, and as I always do, I mentioned, "By the way, I'm not sure if the guy making my reservation wrote on the computer that I have two dogs" - the ENTIRE reason I chose this place, by the way, is that they allowed pets- "Do I need to sign anything?" She replies, "Oh, we don't allow pets." Of course I'm dumbfounded, because I confirmed several times with my reservations that my dogs could stay. Eventually, she says, "Fine. Let me ask my boss." A few seconds later, she returns to say, "I'll refund your money." WHAT? And sleep outside? No offer of another hotel or anything? I've been waiting since 5am to sleep! This is high season, and where the heck am I going to find another room for less than $100- my per diem allotted to me by the government? I calmly- seriously, I'm still trying to be nice to see if she would return the favor- asked if she knew of a hotel that allowed dogs. After dismissing the question as though I'd not asked, helping another customer, and answering 2 phone calls, I asked again and she said, "Yeah, the Alaskan. Here's their number. You can call from your phone." No kidding, that's what she said. I said, "Thanks!" And called. Good luck, you miserable place, in keeping customers with that kind of service.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank destructolo
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Reasonably priced and great location. Right by the Aurora Bay and bus stop, so easy to get around. We liked it better than another hotel nearby downtown when we stayed at Juneau. Staff was very helpful and guide us to hiking course to us told us good place to go nearby the hotel. Its nearby best hiking course (Perseverance Trail). And the new restaurant inside the hotel called Troxels were very good.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I had eaten at the restaurant in the past. Its a decent restaurant with a beautiful view. I booked a room for my trip and ended up canceling it well in advance. A few months later, a cancelation fee for $140 showed up on my credit card. It took weeks of calling to even get a manager to speak to me. When he finally did, he was extremely rude and would not refund the charge.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DenverCaroline
Reviewed 12 September 2009

This hotel seem not to care about their guests, at all! they care about the bar crowd more.
bar drunks would always be loud by guest windows late into the night, 3-4 am. had to call front desk several times so i could sleep.
on top of everything the second *thankfully the last* night there fire alarm went off and would not stop for 10-15 minutes. 10pm at night. so all of the bar people got outside and were very loud by my window....
I still have very hard time believing that my experience was real!

picture tells you all about the priorities

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank JULIETT858
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed for two nights while waiting to board a fishing cruise. The first room we got was filthy, screen pushed out of window and smelled like mold. This was on the second level which is street level. A/C doesn't work and we did not feel comfortable with an open window at street level. We got moved to the top floor (where the bar/resturaunt is). This room was better, except for the noise of the bar and drunks late into the evening. The food in the resturaunt was actually quite good, but the crowd at the bar parties where difficult to deal with.

The front desk staff were less than adequately trained and/or just didn't care. It was nice to have van transport from the airport. WiFi worked ok. No elevator if that is important to you. It's about a 15 minute walk to town and to a resturaunt for breakfast. The hotel resteraunt has been recently sold and no longer has breakfast or lunch. The Sandpiper resteraunt (about 10-15 minute walk away) had excellent food for breakfast!

Overall would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple