“Favorite Hotel”

Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I just love Grandma's continental breakfast. You are able to choose up to three items off of the made to order menu, my favorites are the custom omelettes and french toast. Thanks Pam for remembering how I like my omelettes. The hotel staff are so accomodating and friendly that it feels like a second home when I stay here. I've stayed in most of the 13 rooms and it is always fun to see which room I'll be in for the week. It keeps traveling interesting. The featherbeds are so comfortable, you are allowed a free gym pass each day to the nearby Alaska Club, and having a jacuzzi in your room is so relaxing after a hard workout. Needless to say, I will be returning to Grandma's.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the upper level are the most quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We appreciate your honest review of our property. With 14 rooms decorated and designed uniquely, Grandma's is a charming place to stay while on business or pleasure. We are glad you enjoyed the made-to-order breakfast that is included with your stay. Our staff strives to make every stay comfortable and enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on future visits.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

During repeat visits over the past three years the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed inn has consistently offered friendly, welcoming accommodation for me. Guest rooms are not one's typical, every-room-is-the-same-cookie-cutter-model one finds in chain hotels but rather has different decor in each room with a homey, "Grandma's house" atmosphere. During each of my many stays, the different rooms have been spotlessly clean.

One important note....For people who are petite or physically challenged, it is important to know the bathroom shower/tubs can be a bit of a challenge to get into and out of. I am tall with long legs but still find I have to be a bit of a mountain climber to get into and out of the tub/shower combos in each room I have reserved. However, the front desk staff told me they can accommodate guests in a more typical bathroom set up in at least one guest room (or perhaps more than that). It is best to enquire about the tub/shower set up when making reservations with the front desk.

Every room I have stayed in has been very nice with a coffeemaker, microwave and a little refrigerator in each room. Complimentary Wifi has always performed well with a fast connection. I prefer the upper level rooms but it must be noted that one has to haul one's luggage up a tall staircase if staying on the second floor. There is no elevator. Sometimes a desk clerk can assist with one's luggage but if a large group of people coming off of a ferry are all trying to check in at the same time (this has happened to me), be prepared to carry your luggage to your room by yourself. If this is an issue, be sure to request a room on the first floor.

A very filling Alaska-sized breakfast is included in the room price. One can select hot food off the menu plus there is always a selection of breads, fruit, juices and coffee on a common table in the breakfast room.

Speaking of food, Grandma's Feather Bed offers meals at dinnertime. I confess I was skeptical of what dinner would be like at a small Best Western inn. However, during my last visit my husband and I were thoroughly exhausted after our day's activities. Too tired to drive to a restaurant we ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs. It was delightful! Even in Southeast Alaska many restaurant chefs manage to mangle salmon by overcooking it but my wild Alaskan salmon was prepared to perfection, slightly rare inside while crisply seared on the outside. It was deja vu all over again the next night---too beat to go out to dinner---so we repeated the room service dinner order. Once again, it was excellent. Portions were generous as well. Chef Mac was minding the kitchen. He did a wonderful job.

At the time of my last visit to Grandma's (August 2012) the restaurant had no liquor license but we purchased our own vino at Fred Meyer's for our in room dining experience. Be sure to check with the inn for any updates on this.

Chris, Chef Mac, Pam and Tanisha were all very friendly, helpful hotel personnel during our most recent stay. There is no concierge or activities desk at this small property but the staff will try to help with suggestions if you need them. Otherwise it is best to do your homework ahead of time about what to do in and around Juneau.

The inn offers a complimentary shuttle service to pick up or deliver guests to the nearby airport or ferry terminal. Since the hotel is located outside of the busy tourist district---a welcome plus for my tastes---the shuttle also transports hotel guests into Juneau and back if they do not have their own transportation. Bear in mind that some tour operators will also pick up guests with no cars at the inn. I recommend renting a car if staying in Juneau to allow more freedom in one's schedule. Due to high demand during tourist season it's best to reserve one's car as early as possible if visiting during the busy summer months (however, during off season I have been able to rent a car the morning of the day I needed it).

After trying several other Juneau lodging options, mostly large hotels, Grandma's Feather Bed has consistently been the friendliest and most accommodating property in which I have stayed. It is easy to recommend this little inn.

Room Tip: I prefer the upper level rooms since any overhead noise is annoying to me. The only room I stayed i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whalegeek

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and informative review of Juneau and our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We always value our guest’s feedback concerning our service, restaurant and property. Excellent customer service is something our staff is always striving for. It is always our goal to make every stay a memorable one. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Great Staff! Thank you Kayla, Bryan, and Pam for your wonderful services! The food was delicious I recommend going there if you only have one night to stay and the rooms have a hot tub whirlpool!They have a shuttle if you need it. I believe James was my driver. The staff is nice and friendly if there is a problem they do their best to resolve it. and they have a fitness hook up at Alaska club which is by safeway but not in the hotel.

Room Tip: ask the staff they will tell you their favorites. I recommend room 201 even though it might get a li...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Gator J
Reviewed 16 December 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank KJP429
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Grandma's Feather Bed provided the perfect weekend staycation, from the convenient location to the in-room hot tub to room service from the restaurant downstairs. Breakfasts are great, and if the house coffee leaves something to be desired, there's a great espresso place across the street along with a fantastic massage studio.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PieintheSkyAK
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My room had a Jacuzzi tub and big screen tv. And of Course a Feather Bed! Also items from the chef in the morning I have to say was a welcomed perk. I Usually stay at Country lane However I talked my company in to getting me Grandmas this time and probably next time. Room warm and clean. The blokes they had on staff where very nice and helpful. Kayla, Bryan, Pamm, Jamez where the ones i believe where on staff when i stayed. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Would hire them if i had a hotel. The food is so great! The chef at night (Mick) has specials that really are top notch. I have been satisfied every time I have eaten there. The price is fair and portion size will fill you up. My drink was never empty. And if I needed something all I had to do was ask. The shuttle service is great, everyone wishes it would run just for them. Its annoying to be in a car though when (native Alaskans from islands) all they do is ask to go here and there and fill the van up with groceries. I recommend calling in and getting your room number down on the van sheet so the shuttle will pick you up first. that worked out best for me. It is unfortunate that they can only go downtown every odd hour from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. due to the permit the City of Juneau gave them. Its 35 dollars for a taxi back to the hotel from downtown I found out. The hotel told me before I signed up. However I just got dropped off at Walmart and they gracefully came and picked me up from there. Really a perk to have the van shuttle pick you up and drop you off for free. I went to Fred's and breeze inn a couple times. Instead of paying four to five dollars a mile for a cab I think tipping that driver of theirs a couple dollars is just fine. Its perfect location because the airport is just two minutes away. They have a club membership which I went to instead of a gym inside their hotel. It was a little cold to run outside in the morning.

Room Tip: Every Room has its advantages and disadvantages. Rooms upstairs are quieter and also the ones not ne...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank traveling addic... S
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I lived in Juneau for two years and have been traveling back for business for two years since. instead of doing a long review I will just say that there is no other place worth staying in Juneau. If you have a lot of business downtown the drive isn't as convenient, but all the hotels downtown have terrible rooms and even worse customer serivce. At Grandma's Feather Bed, the rooms are nice, the bed is amazing, you get premium channels on the TV, and the complimentary breakfast in the morning is served hot with plenty of choices.

By far the best hotel in Juneau.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business