“Need to have a 10★ rating as this place ROCKS! Beyond anything I expected!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed

BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
“Need to have a 10★ rating as this place ROCKS! Beyond anything I expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

We had to come to Juneau for a personal business matter and as this was our first time ever to Alaska and Juneau at that! We looked online for things to do and places to stay before we left and found this to be a good place. Far from anything we could ever imagine! Not only did we take care of our personal business but had so much fun too! The staff were so friendly and the food was amazing! We enjoyed our stay and with a busy little 4 year old that liked to pour cereal, coffee, milk, juice and more then get to order pancakes to pour syrup....hahahaha....and on top of all that the staff was so kind! We enjoyed our beautiful room, the wonderful rides downtown and to places in the valley! This personal business trip turned into a delightful fun and amazing adventure! Thank you Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed.... your staff and property is amazing and perfect touch of the at home feeling! We felt very blessed and honored to be a guest at your beautiful bed and breakfast! We can't wait to visit again in the future! The best thing is that with the way customer service has been declini g over the past few years it was absolutely amazing to be treated with such amazing kindness and like we were truly the guests at Grandma's Feather Bed! Thank you so much! If you are looking for a place to stay in Juneau you will be very sorry if you don't stay here... it will exceed you expectations by far! ♥ thank you for taking such good care of us! We had fun and gained many good memories to last a lifetime! We stayed for a few nights and had great times!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank tonofun
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We highly value your feedback concerning the service and accommodations at our property. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our staff. Seeing comments such as yours is very rewarding and motivating to everyone involved. We are pleased we were able to meet your needs for this particular trip. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you want that homey feeling while on vacation or visiting friends this is the place to stay. the staff is nice, friendly and accommodating, the rooms are not only beautiful and uniquely decorated with jacuzzi but comfy and lovely with a welcoming atmosphere that makes a person feel warm inside. They have and adorable little restaurant with delicious food. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will be going back and I highly recommend this place.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle R
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our property. We are always striving for excellent customer service in both our hotel and restaurant. It continues to be our goal and priority to make every stay a memorable one. We are glad you could appreciate Grandma’s unique charm. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Juneau
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

This is one of the best kept secrets in Juneau. This is the most comfortable hotels I have ever stayed in. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are all decorated in their own unique style. I did feel like I was visiting my grandmothers house like years ago. They have a restaurant that serves a nice menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. Grandma's is a charming place to stay while on business or pleasure. Our staff strives to make every stay comfortable and enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on future visits.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

I think I've stayed in just about every hotel / motel in Juneau and this week I was delighted to discover the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed! What a nice treat!! I stay in a different hotel every week and they're all pretty much the same, but Grandma's Feather Bed is truly unique. This former restaurant is really a fun stay -- every room is different, but all have very deep, jetted soaking tubs, wonderful beds, reliable wifi / internet access, and lots of quiet. It's a great place to work, but I'd be very comfortable bringing my husband back for a vacation stay. The staff seems quite young, but very dedicated to making guests feel welcome and ensuring every need is met. There's a small restaurant attached that provides good, solid food options and breakfast is free with your stay. A very, very nice option in Juneau. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room that used to house the salad bar -- very unique arrangement, but fun! I've...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind remarks about our property, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We highly value your feedback concerning the service and accommodations at our property. The staff at Grandma’s is always striving for excellent customer service. It continues to be our goal and priority to make every stay a memorable one. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.
Juneau, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

The service of all staff members was excellent. The waitstaff in the dinning room were friendly, quick, and helpful. Checkin/out staff were also very nice. The room was clean and smelled great. The jacuzzi bathtub was great fun for a valentine's weekend away. The food was excellent, especially compared to some restaurants in Juneau. The bed was a little stiff for my liking but still comfortable with the feather down blankets and pillows. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room at the top of the stairs and the ice freezer was just down the hall along with a soda...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonja C, Customer Service Mgr. at BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our property. We are always striving for excellent customer service in both our hotel and restaurant. With our restaurant open to the public Monday thru Saturday, we hope to see your family and friends back soon. Look for our daily specials which can include local seafood and freshly ground hamburgers. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next weekend getaway.
Anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I just love Grandma's continental breakfast. You are able to choose up to three items off of the made to order menu, my favorites are the custom omelettes and french toast. Thanks Pam for remembering how I like my omelettes. The hotel staff are so accomodating and friendly that it feels like a second home when I stay here. I've stayed in most of the 13 rooms and it is always fun to see which room I'll be in for the week. It keeps traveling interesting. The featherbeds are so comfortable, you are allowed a free gym pass each day to the nearby Alaska Club, and having a jacuzzi in your room is so relaxing after a hard workout. Needless to say, I will be returning to Grandma's.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on the upper level are the most quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your honest review of our property. With 14 rooms decorated and designed uniquely, Grandma's is a charming place to stay while on business or pleasure. We are glad you enjoyed the made-to-order breakfast that is included with your stay. Our staff strives to make every stay comfortable and enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on future visits.
Palos Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

During repeat visits over the past three years the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed inn has consistently offered friendly, welcoming accommodation for me. Guest rooms are not one's typical, every-room-is-the-same-cookie-cutter-model one finds in chain hotels but rather has different decor in each room with a homey, "Grandma's house" atmosphere. During each of my many stays, the different rooms have been spotlessly clean.

One important note....For people who are petite or physically challenged, it is important to know the bathroom shower/tubs can be a bit of a challenge to get into and out of. I am tall with long legs but still find I have to be a bit of a mountain climber to get into and out of the tub/shower combos in each room I have reserved. However, the front desk staff told me they can accommodate guests in a more typical bathroom set up in at least one guest room (or perhaps more than that). It is best to enquire about the tub/shower set up when making reservations with the front desk.

Every room I have stayed in has been very nice with a coffeemaker, microwave and a little refrigerator in each room. Complimentary Wifi has always performed well with a fast connection. I prefer the upper level rooms but it must be noted that one has to haul one's luggage up a tall staircase if staying on the second floor. There is no elevator. Sometimes a desk clerk can assist with one's luggage but if a large group of people coming off of a ferry are all trying to check in at the same time (this has happened to me), be prepared to carry your luggage to your room by yourself. If this is an issue, be sure to request a room on the first floor.

A very filling Alaska-sized breakfast is included in the room price. One can select hot food off the menu plus there is always a selection of breads, fruit, juices and coffee on a common table in the breakfast room.

Speaking of food, Grandma's Feather Bed offers meals at dinnertime. I confess I was skeptical of what dinner would be like at a small Best Western inn. However, during my last visit my husband and I were thoroughly exhausted after our day's activities. Too tired to drive to a restaurant we ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs. It was delightful! Even in Southeast Alaska many restaurant chefs manage to mangle salmon by overcooking it but my wild Alaskan salmon was prepared to perfection, slightly rare inside while crisply seared on the outside. It was deja vu all over again the next night---too beat to go out to dinner---so we repeated the room service dinner order. Once again, it was excellent. Portions were generous as well. Chef Mac was minding the kitchen. He did a wonderful job.

At the time of my last visit to Grandma's (August 2012) the restaurant had no liquor license but we purchased our own vino at Fred Meyer's for our in room dining experience. Be sure to check with the inn for any updates on this.

Chris, Chef Mac, Pam and Tanisha were all very friendly, helpful hotel personnel during our most recent stay. There is no concierge or activities desk at this small property but the staff will try to help with suggestions if you need them. Otherwise it is best to do your homework ahead of time about what to do in and around Juneau.

The inn offers a complimentary shuttle service to pick up or deliver guests to the nearby airport or ferry terminal. Since the hotel is located outside of the busy tourist district---a welcome plus for my tastes---the shuttle also transports hotel guests into Juneau and back if they do not have their own transportation. Bear in mind that some tour operators will also pick up guests with no cars at the inn. I recommend renting a car if staying in Juneau to allow more freedom in one's schedule. Due to high demand during tourist season it's best to reserve one's car as early as possible if visiting during the busy summer months (however, during off season I have been able to rent a car the morning of the day I needed it).

After trying several other Juneau lodging options, mostly large hotels, Grandma's Feather Bed has consistently been the friendliest and most accommodating property in which I have stayed. It is easy to recommend this little inn.

Room Tip: I prefer the upper level rooms since any overhead noise is annoying to me. The only room I stayed i...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whalegeek
Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and informative review of Juneau and our hotel, the Best Western Grandma’s Feather Bed. We always value our guest’s feedback concerning our service, restaurant and property. Excellent customer service is something our staff is always striving for. It is always our goal to make every stay a memorable one. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.