“They made me feel at home.”

BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Mexico, city
“They made me feel at home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

It was an incredible experience !!.... The rooms are comfortable and cozy.
The staff was very nice and helpful,had free shuttle service to the entire city was something that allowed me to move quickly and safely. Food was excellent !! My special thanks to Jose, the kitchen supervisor.
When I go back to Juneau I will definitely be on your hotel again.
Thank you guys !!!
Martha

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank HelloMartha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Indianaplis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from a business/pleasure trip to Juneau. When I was booking a hotel, I relied on tripadvisors rating system and most it not all of the hotels fell well below what we were looking for. We settled on Grandmas featherbed and I couldnt be happier. Although it is billed as a Best Western, it is really a large house with 14 suites through out. The rooms are very quaint with all the amenities of a large hotel. Although the room was excellnet, the staff and service is why we will return to Grandmas if we ever get the chance to go back. Our front desk clerk was helpful on which trails to hike, restauraunts to eat at and shops to check out. Breakfast everyday was cooked to order, wonderful and included in the room price.
Don't be fooled by the pictures of other hotels in Juneau. Once we were there, I couldnt believe a couple of the hotels I almost used. They are dumps! Stay here or at the sister Best Western hotel and you will enjoy your time in Juneau much more!!
Thank you Grandmas!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Fresno, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but I was disappointed to get an upgrade from the sister hotel just up the road.

I usually stay to the Country Lane, which is an easy walk to the airport and has spacious rooms and guest laundry facilities.

Those were the attributes I wanted when I came back from a trip on the ferry and just wanted to wash my clothes, get some sleep, and have a quick breakfast before I left again.

That said, I have to admit that Grandma's is better outfitted than Country Lane. I certainly didn't spurn the nice bedding, the whirlpool tub, or the cooked breakfast. But my room seemed cramped compared to the larger rooms I've had at Country Lane.

For people with more time to spend, you can walk from Grandma's to Country Lane with your laundry or arrange for the shuttle. Or not have to do your own laundry at all. Grandma's also has a well regarded restaurant.

Both places have shuttle service to the airport, ferry, and downtown. The desk service for both hotels seems to be located at the Country Lane. Service is very good at both places.

Other rooms at Grandma's may be more spacious, but I felt that I would have been disappointed if I'd paid extra for this upgrade.

It just goes to show that different people want different things in their accomodations. Grandma's is cozy and that whirlpool tub is wonderful, but Country Lane would have fit my needs better for this particular trip.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at this lovely hotel on our honeymoon. I have nothing but great things to say about it, we felt right at home! The jacuzzi and the feather bed in our room made us feel like royalty! The service from the front desk, van driver, and the restaurant were all outstanding! I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to visit Juneau.

• Liked — The excellent service, the food, the elegant room, and the peaceful home-like atmosphere of the bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2008

Although we did not stay at this place, we ate dinner here one night. Food was awesome with quite a variety. After we visited here, we wished we stayed here. There was some charm attached to this place. Very neat and safe. People were extremely warm and friendly. The place may not look that good in the pictures but it's very nice. (The pictures were misleading-and we stayed some other place and we regretted it.)

Stayed June 2008
Faringdon, Oxfordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

This was one of the friendliest places we stayed in during a three week visit to Alaska. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The breakfast was very good, and all freshly cooked and the room we had was very large (with the first double bath I ever saw in a hotel room). The beds were comfortable - my (not very tall) wife literally had to climb up on to it!

It is very convenient for the airport, but even so it was very quiet. Even though we only stayed one night, they let us store our main luggage for two nights while we visited Gustavus for two days. It seems to be very convenient for visiting the local glacier, but unfortunately the weather was so bad on the day we were there we didn't get a chance to find out!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — The weather (which is hardly the hotel's fault ;-)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Grandma's Feather Bed last month while on a trip through Alaska. Everything was clean, nicely decorated in Victorian/country style, with a very comfortable bed. Personnel were always pleasant and helpful. Our room had an elevated jetted tub with shower. The only negatives were that you have to step up and over the tub edge to shower, and there is no privacy as you bathe and use the sink right in the bedroom. The toilet is in it's own separate small side room. There was a microwave, iron/board, fridge, and fan. The room decor included old fashioned wallpaper, antique look furniture, and a hand pieced quilt on the bed. There's free local newspapers in the lobby and an outstanding breakfast in a nicely decorated dining area. Breakfast was included with the room. You get to pick off a menu with a variety of options (omelet, etc).
If you go, be sure to confirm your reservation. I had called the week before to confirm but something went amiss in their reservation system and they had us arriving and leaving a night earlier than planned. The desk clerk and manager made corrections and fortunately we weren't charged and the room was still available for all nights we needed. Also, check on-line before you go. I had made my reservation back in March, and the rate had actually dropped when I checked the week before we traveled. I called and they gave us the lower rate.
The hotel is close to the airport and the glacier, and quiet because it's away from the center of town. For the price (we paid $161/night with AAA discount) it's spendy, but not when you compare it to other Juneau hotels at summer time rates and include the breakfast. If traveling to Juneau again we would probably stay at Grandma's.
Note: We spent one more night in Juneau on our way back through when preparing to fly out of SE Alaska and stayed at the Travelodge. See my review on it too. Grandma's was definitely the better place to stay if you want to be near the airport and away from downtown.

• Liked — Location, decor, comforatble bed, and hot breakfast
  • Disliked — Tub and Shower right in bedroom so lack of privacy for bathing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple