I travel from Arizona to Alaska frequently for business. I have stayed in a variety of hotels in different cities along the way. Often, the hotels are geared toward the "cruise lines" that mass-process guests and have guaranteed business as a result of those relationships with the cruise lines--thus you often notice they have mediocre beds (mattresses and blankets that feel as though they were made in 1975) and the cleanliness can sometimes vary. It's hard to find a "luxurious" feel--especially in cities outside Anchorage.
I tried the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed, which is very similar to a Bed & Breakfast. I absolutely loved it! The beds were the most comfortable of any I've had in all of Alaska (including Hilton and Sheraton). The beds offer crisp, fresh, wonderful (not scratchy) sheets, a real feather bed, nice pillows, and a duvet---in rooms that make you feel as if you're in your own bedroom, not a hotel room!
The service was very warm and friendly. I definitely felt welcome, recognized, and attended to throughout my stay. There is a small restaurant in the Victorian style home in which you'll stay. I tried it skeptically---and was VERY surprised at how great the food was. I definitely recommend the seafood pasta. DELICIOUS from the first to last bite. A prepared breakfast also came with my room rate; however, I didn't have time to order/try it--so I can't comment on the quality, though I suspect it was great, based on my dinner experience.
The hotel is about 8 miles from "Downtown Juneau," so it's a bit out of the way in that regard, but to me--it's definitely worth the extra 10-15 mins drive to get to businesses downtown in order to have superior accommodations. It's an easy drive to get downtown and traffic was not an issue. You're also close to a few restaurants (including a good Chinese one), and closer to Mendenhall Glacier, etc. for those that want to sightsee. The airport is also about a mile or two away, so that makes for a quick drive if you have to get up and out early in the AM.
One minor caution--the rooms (at least mine) have jacuzzi's in them which double as a shower. These are very nice to have in your room! It's just that it takes a bit of skill to climb in and out, as the ledge is rather high. If you have a physical disability or have difficulty raising your leg up to enter the tub, inquire with the hotel to see what your options are. I don't know if all rooms have this feature or not, and there might be a trick I just didn't know about (i.e., a step stool or something) but entering/exiting the tub if you are in a room with a jacuzzi might be a bit of an issue for those with physical restrictions.
Hands down--I will definitely stay here again, shall I return to Juneau for work or pleasure. It was one of the very best experiences I've had staying not only in Juneau, but at a Best Western as well (I've never really been a fan of Best Westerns as a rule---but this hotel is an exception in a very positive way). Thank you to those who own/work there---you definitely know how to please your guests and run a fine establishment!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed, the smallest hotel in the world's largest hotel chain, comes complete with deluxe suites and is the perfect place for a weekend getaway in beautiful Juneau, Alaska. All 14 guest rooms are designed especially to meet your vacationing needs. Each guest room are designated non-smoking with single queen feather beds for the ultimate in comfort. Sink into your in-room Jacuzzi and let the comfort take you away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Grandma`s Feather Hotel Juneau
- Best Western Juneau
- Best Western Hotel Juneau
- Juneau Best Western