“Cleanest, most comfortable, cozy, friendly place to stay in Juneau!”

Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Juneau
Scottsdale, AZ
“Cleanest, most comfortable, cozy, friendly place to stay in Juneau!”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I travel from Arizona to Alaska frequently for business. I have stayed in a variety of hotels in different cities along the way. Often, the hotels are geared toward the "cruise lines" that mass-process guests and have guaranteed business as a result of those relationships with the cruise lines--thus you often notice they have mediocre beds (mattresses and blankets that feel as though they were made in 1975) and the cleanliness can sometimes vary. It's hard to find a "luxurious" feel--especially in cities outside Anchorage.

I tried the Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed, which is very similar to a Bed & Breakfast. I absolutely loved it! The beds were the most comfortable of any I've had in all of Alaska (including Hilton and Sheraton). The beds offer crisp, fresh, wonderful (not scratchy) sheets, a real feather bed, nice pillows, and a duvet---in rooms that make you feel as if you're in your own bedroom, not a hotel room!

The service was very warm and friendly. I definitely felt welcome, recognized, and attended to throughout my stay. There is a small restaurant in the Victorian style home in which you'll stay. I tried it skeptically---and was VERY surprised at how great the food was. I definitely recommend the seafood pasta. DELICIOUS from the first to last bite. A prepared breakfast also came with my room rate; however, I didn't have time to order/try it--so I can't comment on the quality, though I suspect it was great, based on my dinner experience.

The hotel is about 8 miles from "Downtown Juneau," so it's a bit out of the way in that regard, but to me--it's definitely worth the extra 10-15 mins drive to get to businesses downtown in order to have superior accommodations. It's an easy drive to get downtown and traffic was not an issue. You're also close to a few restaurants (including a good Chinese one), and closer to Mendenhall Glacier, etc. for those that want to sightsee. The airport is also about a mile or two away, so that makes for a quick drive if you have to get up and out early in the AM.

One minor caution--the rooms (at least mine) have jacuzzi's in them which double as a shower. These are very nice to have in your room! It's just that it takes a bit of skill to climb in and out, as the ledge is rather high. If you have a physical disability or have difficulty raising your leg up to enter the tub, inquire with the hotel to see what your options are. I don't know if all rooms have this feature or not, and there might be a trick I just didn't know about (i.e., a step stool or something) but entering/exiting the tub if you are in a room with a jacuzzi might be a bit of an issue for those with physical restrictions.

Hands down--I will definitely stay here again, shall I return to Juneau for work or pleasure. It was one of the very best experiences I've had staying not only in Juneau, but at a Best Western as well (I've never really been a fan of Best Westerns as a rule---but this hotel is an exception in a very positive way). Thank you to those who own/work there---you definitely know how to please your guests and run a fine establishment!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
onlyinalaska
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We had a great stay until 2am when the fire alarm battery decided it was low and started beeping about every 4 to 7 min. We were unable to find any staff in the building, we have to call the best western down the street and have one of their employees come over to "fix it". He couldn't fix it and after about 1 1/2 hours of him trying to fix it he had us unplug it and remove the wiring. My only recommendation is to be sure and bring a "d" battery with you just incase.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onlyinalaska
Sacramento
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Like everyone I read the great reviews of this hotel and it was the decisive factor in staying there. We stayed two nights at this hotel and two at the Country Lane. They are litterally a few blocks from the airport and offer shuttle service. The hotel however is about 8 miles from downtown Juneau. The hotel is very attractive and looks more look a bed and breakfast than a hotel. The room we stayed in was average size with a large whirpool bath in the main part of the room. While I liked the whirlpool my wife found it absolutely impossible to use the shower while in the tub. The room is very nice with a fridge and microwave. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the room at the end of the hall was quiet. The service was generally great but varied tremendously depending on who was there at the front desk. The young woman who is the cook is exceptional! Not only was she a good cook but she went so far as to obtain some deodorant at a store from me when there was none available at either of their hotels. This was in sharp contrast to the other young woman who was serving as the front desk who forgot that we and another couple were sitting for breakfast. They have a shuttle service that runs every two hours to downtown. You are dropped off at and picked up at Centennial Hall which is close to the wharf and cruise terminal. Both of the shuttle drivers were courteous and on-time. Staying here you really feel like you are in a bed and breakfast but at the outskirts of town.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCSacramento
Anchorage
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I recently stayed at Grandma's for 5 days on a business trip to Juneau. I can't rave about this place enough; from the luxurious rooms, to the super attentive staff, to the great food, to the wonderful location. It reminds me of a Swiss hotel it's that good. When I return to Juneau, I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank snowgirlanchorage
Las Vegas NV
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Grandma's was truly just like home. The entire staff was warm, friendly, and very helpful. We were fortunate to be able to choose our own room which was not an easy task. All of the rooms we were shown had their own distinct country charm with a wonderful whirlpool tub. We made our selection and enjoyed 6 wonderful nights. Our bed was extremely comfortable although it did squeak a little.
The location and shuttle service made it very easy to get around. The breakfast which was included in the rate was a definite bonus. The food was delicious and the staff felt like family. The restaurant was open for dinner except on Sunday and Monday, and the food was absolutely the best we had in Juneau. Upon returning home, my husband said that he had been spoiled by all of the delicious food and service. I certainly hope to go back to grandma's. It felt just like home.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyOLasVegasNV
Mexico, city
Reviewed 6 June 2009

It was an incredible experience !!.... The rooms are comfortable and cozy.
The staff was very nice and helpful,had free shuttle service to the entire city was something that allowed me to move quickly and safely. Food was excellent !! My special thanks to Jose, the kitchen supervisor.
When I go back to Juneau I will definitely be on your hotel again.
Thank you guys !!!
Martha

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank HelloMartha
Indianaplis
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from a business/pleasure trip to Juneau. When I was booking a hotel, I relied on tripadvisors rating system and most it not all of the hotels fell well below what we were looking for. We settled on Grandmas featherbed and I couldnt be happier. Although it is billed as a Best Western, it is really a large house with 14 suites through out. The rooms are very quaint with all the amenities of a large hotel. Although the room was excellnet, the staff and service is why we will return to Grandmas if we ever get the chance to go back. Our front desk clerk was helpful on which trails to hike, restauraunts to eat at and shops to check out. Breakfast everyday was cooked to order, wonderful and included in the room price.
Don't be fooled by the pictures of other hotels in Juneau. Once we were there, I couldnt believe a couple of the hotels I almost used. They are dumps! Stay here or at the sister Best Western hotel and you will enjoy your time in Juneau much more!!
Thank you Grandmas!