“Amazing experience at the kasilof river lodge!!”

Kasilof River Lodge & Cabins
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kasilof
Kasilof River Lodge & Cabins
Jacksonville, Florida
“Amazing experience at the kasilof river lodge!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My 14 yo daughter and I just finished a trip to Alaska. In the planning stages, I knew I wanted to be in the Kenai river area and just happened to find the Kasilof river lodge. The owners steve and jean malt by we're amazing. steve took the time to ask what kind of fishing trips we wanted and he booked the trips for us with guides that he likes. The trips were all amazing and varied (fly out, kasilof drift for kings where my 14 yo caught a 35 lb king!, and kenai power boat fishing. The guides were all great as advertised. Steve does all the billing. You just show up and fish. The equally amazing half was jean malt by who made breakfast, packed amazing lunches and served gourmet dinners. W were going to peanut butte and jelly it for a week but after the first box lunch, that plan changed. It's was an amazing find for us and we definetly will return. I never thought of myself as a B&B type guy, but Stv and jean maltby and the kasilof river lodge have changed my opinion. It was amazing

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is my second visit to the Kasilof River Lodge and Cabins. After such a great trip in 2011, we decided to return and do more fishing. Jeanne and Steve Maltby, the owners, again handled all of our fishing guide reservations and were able to get the exact guides that we requested and the dates we wanted to fish. The reservation process was easy and only minor issues with the time difference were encountered and non-issues. We were able to get a cabin with its own bathroom as we preferred and all of the plans were in place.

As our travel date neared, the lodge manager contacted us regarding our desire for partaking in the meal plan(s). It worked out that Jeanne had a visiting chef for the month of July and an extensive meal plan was available in addition to the simple packed lunch plan. For $49/day, the plan included all meals and drinks at meals (beer, wine, non-alcoholic options). The chef was Lori Hubbard from St. Croix, USVI where she owns and operates Blue Water Terrace. We decided to take the option for the extended meal plan. We were not disappointed.

Upon arrival, the cabin was ready for check in and all plans were in order. The fishing was great as usual and Jeanne offered her vacuum packaging equipment and freezer space if we wanted to process our own fish. There is also a local fish processor that did a great job during our last trip and we opted to let them handle the work so we could relax more on the vacation.

The meals were absolutely wonderful and portions were always generous. The first night we had sirloin steak with Alaskan king crab legs with potatoes o'brian and apple crisp for dessert. Luches were usually made from leftovers but always excellent. One night was thanksgiving dinner with a whole turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce and molten chocolate flourless cake for dessert. Needless to say, the meal plan was well worth the price and more than a great value.

All of the staff were very helpful! The manager, Lindsey, was able to add another impromptu fishing trip for sockeye salmon into my schedule for me. The lodge handled all details and I only needed to show up when and where designated. Lori was always asking if we needed any snacks, etc... Paulie helped me to filet fish one day when I was pressed for time. Our housekeeper was very friendly and helped us with some cleaning supplies for the rental vehicle. Steve and Jeanne are always very friendly and happy to help even though they have full time jobs outside of the lodge.

The lodge again had loaner waders and fishing gear in case you wanted to go out on your own fishing. They also had coolers, freezer storage, and lots of information about the area for sightseeing.

Overall, this trip was better than the first and exceeded our expectations. We are already planning our trip for next year and would definitely recommend the lodge if you are looking for a great place to stay and help planning a fishing trip. They are also a great place to stay if you are just interested in the Kenai Penisula area or as a starter location for an extended Alaska trip. We met several groups of people who were there for a few days and then off to raft a river up north or fish further up the inlet. If you see Lori is providing the meals....go for it and you will not be dissappointed.

Room Tip: There are two cabins with attached bathrooms (no 1 & 2). The other cabins share a bathhouse. A...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CFPlott
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

It was our first trip to Alaska and the owners of the lodge went out of their way to help organise the trip according to the type of fishing and wildlife viewing we were most interested in. The guides recommended were excellent. The fly out trip to fish, view bears and fly round the glacier was outstanding. Lyndsey, the lodge manager was welcoming and nothing was too much trouble to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable - we felt very at home. Jeanne Maltby was on the phone each day making sure we were getting the most out of our short stay. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone interested in river fishing .... And the drive down from Anchorage was beautiful. Danny and Wendy Constantinis (UK & France)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed at several other locations in the area and by far this was the best. The staff was amazing and very accommodating to our needs. I would highly reccomend this lodge to fellow fishermen. The owner has a superb knowledge of local fishing holes and provides access to a top-of-the-line vacuum sealer and flash freezer. We traveled all the way home to NY with our catch thanks to Steve. Can't wait to visit next year.

• Stayed July 2012
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

The owners, Steve & Jeanne Maltby, are truly one-of-a-kind people - friendly, sensible, well-rounded Alaskans. The manager, Jackie, was welcoming and attentive. This definitely made a difference in our stay compared to other Alaskan lodging businesses we've experienced over the years. That said, the Kasilof River Lodge is very pleasant, clean and accommodating. My husband and I and our four girls had a wonderful family 5 night/6 day stay. On the first night, we stayed in the main lodge's king room w/ private bath, then moved to the cabin called Bear's Den which had a private bath & kitchen for the rest of the time. Our family was quite comfortable in both places. We also used the lodge kitchen & bathrooms which were impeccably clean. The girls enjoyed running around the spacious grounds; their favorite thing was the swing :)

We went to the Kasilof river mouth for our annual dipnetting family vacation. The girls had a blast catching the fish (sockeyes/reds) in the 'big net.' My husband was very impressed with the help he received from Steve, who also provided vacuum-sealed bags and a professional vacuum sealer. During the fish processing, Steve talked to my husband about clamming around the area. He recommended Clam Gulch & Ninilchik but we wanted something closer to the lodge so he gave us directions to a really great beach. We went the next morning. The girls and I have never clammed before - that was such a great time. My husband was kept busy trying to show us what to look for and how to dig. I'll always love that family experience.

Not enough Kudos to the Maltbys and Jackie - thank you sooo much for helping make another family memory and being apart of our future conversations of "dipnetting vacations' past."

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Keiki_Patricoski
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Visited the lodge with friends for a fishing trip. Jeanne and Steve made all of the guide arrangements for us in advance. The guides chosen were great and we thoroughly enjoyed our fishing trips and caught our limit most every day. Arrangements were made for deep sea fishing out of Homer, King salmon fishing on the Kasilof and Kenai rivers and a fly out trip to see he bears and fish for silvers and sockeye. Jeanne and Steve had great facilities for processing your own fish if you liked. I recommend the meal plan as well as the guides were constantly eyeing our lunchs packed by Jeanne! Wonderful trip and we will definitely return. If you plan on fishing and staying here, I would recommend a day between each guided fishing trip to give yourself time to recover and enjoy the lodge.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CFPlott
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Three days before our fishing trip out in the backwoods of Alaska it got cancelled. My Father,sister, and I decided we would fly into Anchorage anyway, and just wing it. I called many places around the Anchorage area, but no one was as helpful to get an idea of what to do than Steve ( lodge proprietor). I booked one night at Kasilof lodge, thinking we would stay one night and if we didn't like it we would move on. We didn't go anywhere!!!! What an awesome spot he has there! He also got us "hooked up" with many fishing trips around the area. He has a place to clean and filet your fish and freezers to keep them in. Even if you aren't in Alaska to fish, this place is so peaceful and relaxing, it would be a lovely getaway to just chill. The cabins are comfortable and have everything you need. I believe that two of them come equipped with there own bathroom and kitchen, while the other cabins have a bathhouse and chow hall that is fully equipped. There is even laundry on site! We stayed in cabin #2 with a kitchen and bath. We cooked dinner every night(fresh salmon and halibut caught that day)! It is just an all around awesome spot! Can't say enough good things! Thanks to Steve for all his help and accommodation!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family