“Two Nights and a Day on the Kenai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crooked Creek Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kasilof
Crooked Creek Retreat
Ranked #1 of 5 Kasilof B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Irving, Texas
“Two Nights and a Day on the Kenai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I was sent to Alaska for business but being an avid fisherman I wanted to get on the Kenai. A week before my trip I started researching places to stay understanding that with such a late booking I would likely not be staying in the greastest of places. I couldn't have been more wrong. I contacted Crooked Creek Retreat via email to see if a space was available and I got a response within an hour. Then I called Dorothy and booked to my two nights and a full day guided trip on the kenai.

Accomodations- 5 stars - The Lodge is perfect. The architecture fits perfectly on the slope overlooking Crooked Creek. The rooms are large with oversized windows and attached bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable.

Dining- 5 stars - The onsite chef created some wonderful dishes and was overly accomodating to the guests' dietary needs.

Fishing - 5 stars - The lodge has Guides onsite that allows for guest input regarding the upcoming fishing excursions. My trip included spending the morning for Kings and the afternoon for reds. I hooked into and landed my king within two hours on the Kenai and then spent the afternoon filling up my cooler with Reds. The fish was then sent to a local processor to be bagged iced and boxed. I brought the fish home on the airline as my second checked bag.

My trip did not include Halibut but based on what I heard from other guests and seeing the fish that were caught it was excellent.

If you are heading to the Kenai for first time or have been coming for years, Crooked Creek is the place for your Retreat.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Curtirv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

My son chose Alaska for his 10th year birthday trip. We arrived the 25th of June and stayed a week. Halibut was hanging and other guests were enjoying the day they had on the "salt". Ocean from where I come from. Greeted by Aunt Dorothy and welcomed with open arms.

Fishing was the purpose of the trip and we were not disappointed. My son was treated like one of the guys and was looked after by all the guides. He caught Halibut, sockeye, hooked and I helped him land a 57lb King and rainbows. We were on the Kenia, Kasilof, the salt and a neat fly-out for a full morning. Saw bears, moose, more eagles than you can imagine, whales , sea otters and unbelievable scenery.

Our accomodations were great, with nothing lacking for a father and son trip. Great beds, clean linens each day, plenty of room, etc.

Breakfast was quick continental each morning and great lunches were provided and consumed. Dinners were great. From halibut and cream sauce to country fried steak it was all good. Especially, the beer battered halibut and sweet potato fries.

Room Tip: Central location for all activities. We rented a truck and were able to get to all activities in les...
Fife, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

We loved our entire experience. Crooked Creek Lodge is beautiful with an amazing attention to detail of decor . You will find "Aunt" Dorothy to be an incredibly smart hostess (please know she is an ex Judge!!) and can arrange anything you want to do with all of her great contacts in the Kenai. Russell Fishing, with Dustin as the skiipper , took us to great Halibut fishing. I'm a wimp and yet released 12 Halibut looking for larger fish!! EZ Limit helped us limit out on King Salmon in the Kasilof River..... what an amazing fishing experience. My husband, who has been fishing for over 40 years, commented on the professionalism of the guides on both the Kasilof and Cook Inlet (fresh and salt water) . We shipped 100 lbs. of fish back to the states and thus far our meals have been out of this world. When we left we felt we had new members of our family and will definitely be back to experience more that Crooked Creek Resort has to offer.

1 Thank CampingEnthusiast
Jackson, Wy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Terrific place to stay. The rooms, the view and the people make it a comfortable place to relax after a day of fishing. Dustin, our guide, has put me on fish every time I have been with him. If there is a better place to stay on that side of the Kenai I'd like to know.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house, you will enjoy!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

Crooked Creek Retreat was everything the website promised it would be - a true Alaska retreat. It was rather like a land-based cruise!! The cabin itself is enormous with a variety of themed rooms. The great room, dining room and common areas are beautifully decorated. There are several decks that invite you to sit with your coffee and Kindle and to watch Crooked Creek meander through the landscape. We saw a mother and baby moose the very first day wandering down the creek.

The food was excellent and plentiful, the rooms were comfortable and scrupulously clean, and the staff was accomodating and friendly. "Aunt Dorothy" is a wealth of reliable information about what to see and how. We have a freezer full of halibut and King Salmon thanks to an excellent guide from the Russell Fish company that she recommended and one we contacted ourself from EZ Limit. She recommended Natron Air for our terrific bear viewing flight and overflight of the glaciers. Truly amazing!!! Aunt Dorothy also advised us on a glacier cruise out of Seward with Major Marine - it was spectacular - we got to see an amazing variety of wildlife as well as magnificent glaciers. We were centrally located at Crooked Creek so were also able to spend an afternoon meandering the Homer Spit.

The staff is very flexible - because of the variety of early hours that the fisherman had to depart - they changed the breakfast routine to a great buffet selection of breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit and juice, yogurt, cereal and endless carafes of coffee. They packed us filling lunches every day including thick sandwiches (homemade meatloaf, sliced pork, egg salad -whatever you asked for) with fruit, chips and dessert (home made brownies!).

They also have most of the gear for fishing that those of us from Florida don't have around. We all looked quite the part in our big green waterproof jackets and overalls. They even had one to fit my 6 foot 9 inch tall brother in law!!

We had a wonderful time and would certainly use Crooked Creek Retreat as a base for further adventures.

Room Tip: Duck room has a great view
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

The staff is very flexible - because of the variety of early hours that the fisherman had to depart - they changed the breakfast routine to a great buffet selection of breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit and juice, yogurt, cereal and endless carafes of coffee. They packed us filling lunches every day including thick sandwiches (homemade meatloaf, sliced pork, egg salad -whatever you asked for) with fruit, chips and dessert.

They also have a lot of the gear for fishing that those of us from Florida don't have around. We all looked quite the part in our big green waterproof jackets and overalls. They even had one to fit my 6 foot 9 inch tall brother in law!!

Room Tip: Duck Room - 3rd floor - great views
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

First, I will say that I rarely write reviews. But because I always READ them before I ever buy anything, I would feel almost like I am stealing if I don't take the time to review this wonderful establishment.

Six of us (three couples) stayed for a week and we unanimously declared it the best vacation any of us could remember. For starters, the owner, "Auntie Dorothy", accommodated our strange dates, beginning in the middle of the week and extending through her cook's day off. After securing our agreement that we would have to go out for dinner on the cook's night off, she went ahead and cooked us a wonderful halibut dinner herself anyway.

The lodge is beautiful. The last reviewer must have been drinking so hard he/she ended up in the wrong establishment! The main house is only 6 years old and is immaculate. The cabins and outbuildings are quaint and charming. There is no ugliness anywhere. The road is a long walk away and cannot be noticed from the front porch.

When I first realized that this is a family operation, I was a bit uncertain of what we were signing on for. My fears were put to rest the very first day when I met the guides (nephews, brothers, etc.), administrator (niece), and children of said nephew and niece. There is no ne're-do-well brother in law who lost his job and they decided to let him guide. These people are a well-oiled machine who know how to offer hospitality, expert guided fishing and all the services associated.

Our stay included two halibut fishing days, a drift trip on the Kenai for salmon, one Kasilof River salmon trip and one fly-out for lake fishing salmon, bear, moose and eagle watching and glacier viewing. Our guides were not only knowledgeable, but were ENTHUSIASTIC! They were not just working. They were doing what they love to do.

This was our fourth trip to Alaska to fish, and these were the best guides we have had. I noticed a particular difference in our halibut fishing experience, as our guide, Dustin, wouldn't even consider letting us keep the smaller fish, but encouraged each of us to get the big ones he knew were there. He was very sensitive to whether we were up for more fishing or whether we were tired, and in the end, two in our party caught fish of 150 and 97 lbs. The rest weren't bad either. He and his adorable young son (who served as apprentice deck hand) worked really, really hard. Although we didn't count the ones we tossed back, we estimate that each of us caught about a dozen fish.

Our salmon trips were also very enjoyable, with excellent and affable guides. Given the time of the season we were there, we did not catch as many salmon on the King trips, but the weather was wonderful and the lunches divine. (School lunch?? the last reviewer must have gone to school somewhere I don't know about.)

The fly-out that was arranged for us was the last day of our stay and was spectacular. We were flown by the Talon Air Service out of Soldatna. Our two guides, Rusty and Denny seemed to know every inch of the water. They were patient (with us women who are not very experienced fisherpeople) and very sensitive to our desire to see animals and photograph them. (Rusty also sells photographs he has taken in Alaska and we are the proud owners of two.) While on the water, we saw a black bear, salmon jumping up rocks to go upstream to spawn, and several American eagles, as well as an eagle's nest with young eagles in it.

On the flight back, the pilot asked if we would like to see the glacier. We agreed and he took us on a "wild nature" ride, between mountains and over glaciers, banking repeatedly so all six of us could get photos. He then ran us over countryside with bears and moose, flying low so everyone could see.

My husband and I have been to Alaska three times prior, but the other two couples had not. I can assure you that I (who chose the lodge and the itinerary), will be forever a hero.
On the flight home to New Jersey, everyone was talking about when we will be able to do it again.

I know this is a long review, but after reading the last one (and ONLY one to give less than a five star rating), I just had to refute it. Please excuse my longwindedness and please don't hesitate to stay at Crooked Creek Retreat!

Room Tip: Just tell Auntie what you want and she will do it.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kasilof
Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Ocean Bluff Bed and Breakfast
Kenai Bed & Breakfast
Kenai Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 5 in Kasilof

Been to Crooked Creek Retreat? Share your experiences!