“the salmon were not running, but lodge was A Plus”

Salmon Catcher Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Kenai
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Had an opportunity to stay at Salmon Catcher for four nights in early July on a family fishing trip with father and brother in law. Loved the PLACE. Really nice property. Nice staff and Bill who runs the place is great and seems to know everyone in Kenai as well which is never a bad thing!
Unfortuntalely, no king salmon this trip buy great fly out for silvers and our day halibet fishing was awesome.
Would definitetly recommend a stay and definitely use all of Bill's recommendations for fishing guides. All great people.
Hope i get the chance to return someday.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank josh d

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My 14 year old son and I stumbled in to Kenai with no itinerary and wondering what to do. We went by the Chamber of Commerce and asked a volunteer what we could do in Kenai. He said "Fish!". Being from Texas, we didn't have a clue how to fish in Alaska and what was required. The volunteer at the Chamber also mentioned to call Terry at the Salmon Catcher Lodge because Terry just called and said he had an unexpected vacancy. I called and Terry answered the phone. Immediately, I realized that I struck gold in finding Terry's place. He was so nice and inviting and told me he had a cancellation and would love to set me up with a room and answer any questions I had about the area and the fishing.

I met Terry and his manager, Chuck at the lodge. They were warm, inviting, helpful, and treated us like family. Terry even invited us to his home on the river where his young son accompanied me to the tackle store and told me what kind of fishing license to purchase. Without even asking, his family showed us how to fish from the bank on the Kenai river. My son and his son were instant friends and the rest of Terry's family was incredibly nice. I'm still pinching myself at the luck in finding Terry's number. Terry's son cleaned and filleted our salmon and we were eating fresh salmon our first night.

We ended up staying one night at the lodge and two nights at Terry's home, which he also rents out as a bed and breakfast. Every detail was first class. Hardwood floors, granite counters, expensive bedding, commercial kitchen appliances. I can't emphasize how impressed I was with everything we experienced. The most shocking thing was the price. We paid no more than what it would have cost for most of the rundown motels in town. Unbelievable.I also inquired about halibut fishing in the Cook Inlet. Terry made a phone call and had a captain ready the next day for a fishing excursion. He could have done the same if I had wanted a float plane trip. They even process your fish and hold in their commercial freezers in the lodge!

If you are looking for an honest person and family man to take care of you...look no further. Book your trip early. I can't imagine any vacancies once word of this beautiful place gets out. I'll be planning next year's trip soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Todd S
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

My son and I decided to come to Alaska for a spur of the moment fishing trip. I was somewhat concerned about being able to book a trip on short notice. I feel Terry and Bill went out of their way to accomadate us. In my opinion, bang for our buck we could not have sone any better anywhere else. The facilities were virtually brand new. They have the ability to process your catch on site. We were booked with outstanding guides for all our guided fishing trips. We were so impressed we will diffenately return next year if my schedule and budget allow me to. I would highly recommend Salmon Catcher Lodge to anyone looking to go to Alaska.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My son and I stayed for five nights at the Salmon Catcher Lodge on a recent trip to Alaska. We loved the spacious suites and the appliances and furnishings. The proprietor was very helpful in every way, and we had some nice conversations with him. I loved the quiet in this country setting. Black-out shades would have been nice, as it never really got dark in June in Soldotna. The other improvement I would like to see (and the reason for 4 stars instead of 5 stars) would be for the lodge to serve breakfast. It was a nuisance to have to either cook breakfast everyday or go to a restaurant for breakfast, especially since we had some early times for guided fishing trips. I cannot figure out how anyone could provoke rudeness from the proprietor -- he seemed like a really jovial and nice person to us. If you come understanding the limitations of the lodge, you are pretty much bound to have a good stay here. Let's call it 4.5 stars!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
SalmonCatcherOwner, Owner at Salmon Catcher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Christopher. Thank you for your input that has brought to my attention an opportunity to become better at what we do. As of the 2014 Season we will have a light complimentary buffet breakfast and will have blackout drapes in all units. A 15% discount on your next visit for your inconvenience. Looking forward to meeting you next visit Terry Johnson Owner Salmon Catcher Lodge

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Recently spent here a week here while fishing the Kenai & Kasiloff Rivers. The place is a top notch lodge.
You can find more expensive lodging, but I doubt any nicer. It is a large facility with cabins or rooms to handle larger groups. It was almost empty during our stay, so not quite sure why the manager put us in the second floor unit below his third floor residence where we could hear him walking around or talking on the phone. The two bedroom unit was very nice, clean and roomy. Nicely furnished with even a big screen TV for the playoff sporting events that were going on last week. We did need a trip to the market for essential things like coffee, dish soap, salt. plastic bags, etc. The manager, Bill Davis, was helpful and might well have provided these things as well had we asked. He helped freeze our catch for shipping home and advised us an extra airline bag is much more economical then Fedex shipping of our catch. He arranged a pleasant and productive halibut trip through Riverbend at Deep Creek and a very enjoyable fly out through Talon Air to Wolverine Creek where our guide, Mark, was excellent.
The lodge is off the beaten path and not on the water, but it is in a quiet forested location and worthy of a stay

Room Tip: Individual units will be quieter than the multiple level units.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank danielt2011
SalmonCatcherOwner, Owner at Salmon Catcher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

As the Owner of Salmon Catcher Lodge, I take any flaw in our operation to heart. effective for the 2014 Season we will be isolating the office from our rental units so this does not happen again. My Manager has hearing aids and like in the last post he did not hear the guest saying Good Morning hence he did not respond and came across as rude!!, he does not realize he is talking too loud. As far as the coffee etc we supply that and always have and I am calling my cleaning staff to ask why they were not in place and double check the Coffee Tea dish soap is in place as of today. We have dishwashers in all the units and guests are not expected to do any cleaning, each unit has double the place settings per guests. I will be contacting this Guest personally and offering a 15% discount on his next stay. As of next Season Mr Davis will be in New York and we will be assuming his duties. Terry Johnson Owner

Reviewed 18 August 2012

We made reservations for July but had to reschedule for August. We reserved a 2 room accommodation with a queen bed and 2 twin beds, what we got was 4 twins. We accepted that due to the rescheduling this was nessasary. What we couldn't accept was being lodged in a basement suite with a lovely view of the construction site. However the most troubling aspect was the treatment we received from the person running the place. I don't know if he was the manager or owner. If he was the former he should be fired, if the latter, he should consider a business that dosn't involve customer service of any kind. A couple of hints; get a personality, speak to your guest when they say "good morning" to you, and attempting to intimidate guests by telling them you are a retired cop is neither reassuring nor impressive. There are plenty of other options in the area that offer great accommodations without the poor and rude service that seems to be the standard at Salmon Catcher Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank ZaP1215
j102607, Owner at Salmon Catcher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Guests are correct, They did reschedule their stay. They were placed in the exact same room they previously booked as it was available both time frames! They were given a rather large discount! Approx 45% on the Room even though it was their reschedule to offset the fact we had in the works our 7th Log Cabin being built, The issue here is that we decided to erect a brand new 2000 Square foot Log building at the same time they were here, It was not going up on their original reservation date had they showed then and the view would have been just Spruce trees. There was actually no construction those 3Days and no noise just the unfinished Cabin a Beautiful addition to our resort. The rudeness was my Manager asserting his right to tell them in a heated conversation that they would be charged for SMOKING in the Rooms as they pulled out cigarettes upon entering the room. He advised them there would be a large cleaning fee. They asked what did you do before this and Bill Davis my Manager said a retired Police officer, who has been in the Lodging business for over 20 Years. It is our policy outside Smoking only no Exceptions no Waivers, Sorry. We will Happily refund their money if they can substantiate a legitimate reason to do so other than refusal to allow them to smoke inside and a less than superb view . The issue of single beds never came up when they first inspected the rooms, We actually have Sheepskin straps to make any of our bedrooms that have 2 twins as this 2 bedroom unit has into Kings so I do fault my Manager for not offering to convert the 4 twins to 2 Kings however our notes show no Original requests for this bed set up on their previous telephone conversations and would say sorry we dropped the ball there! please feel free to contact me the Owner Terry Johnson and I will stand behind my Policies. terryjohnson@att.net

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We spent 5 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The place is undergoing some construction but there was no inconvenience for us at the lodge. The manager went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed and we had clean, warm spacious lodging at a reasonable price. The water quality in the shower and kitchen was very good. Furnishings are brand new. As fishermen, we also loved the way our catch was handled by the manager. It was a first class professional operation. Freezer and storage was clean. Fish was promptly cared for and packed and protected for our trip home. I recommend this place and have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PennsylvaniYA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenai
Aspen Extended Stay Suites
Quality Inn Kenai
Quality Inn Kenai
#4 of 5 in Kenai
AllSeasons Bed & Breakfast

Been to Salmon Catcher Lodge? Share your experiences!