“Extraordinary Experience”
Review of Tower Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai
Tower Rock Lodge
Ranked #2 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Kenai
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Extraordinary Experience”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Tower Rock Lodge created an Alaska fishing adventure of a lifetime for myself, my two sons and my grandson. The Management is outstanding. The staff is professional, competent, accommodating, and most gracious. The accommodations, and meals are extraordinary. Every detail of our stay was carefully planned and provided to us by the experienced and well trained personnel. Upgraded quality equipment, and other fishing necessaries are provided by the host.

The itinerary composed by Tower Rock Lodge was constant and exceptional . . . our fishing sites included river wading, river drifting, and a fly-in for spectacular Silver Salmon. The guides are "first class", and intuitive on angler's abilities, making each event very special for all.

The end-of-day dinners are absolutely remarkable . . . we enjoyed fellowship and shared the days experiences, while sitting outside at firepit, with an after-dinner drink. The perfect end to a perfect day.

Tower Rock Lodge, a great facility, and a great staff, resulted in a most fantastic and memorable experience for everyone. Best of all, we plan to be back next year. Thank you Tower Rock Lodge! Jim K

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 2 October 2013

my family and i spent a week at tower rock lodge. the cabin was first class. the food (and food presentation) was 5 star. mike, the owner, is a great and humorous personality. the guides know their business. had us fishing in the most gorgeous scenery, catching more fish than we could count.
this will be a yearly trip for us!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Tower Rock Lodge is a venue I will remember forever. The Touhy bros. know how to do it right. A couple friends and I stayed for a week, and every day was filled with fishing glory and every night was filled with great food and quality beverages and cigars. The guides were very knowledgeable and all great guys. This trip was my first to Alaska, but it won't be my last. I give this lodge my highest recommendation. If you are looking for a hell of a good time and great experience in Alaska, book a week at the Tower Rock Lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Six days at Tower Rock Lodge - fishing at it's best! Big fish and lots of them. We focused on fly fishing for trout, yet our stay included a fly out to Wolverine Creek where silver salmon swarmed. Each of the guides brought different expertise and technique, which enhanced our daily adventures to the different fishing locales. Fly fishing for Rainbow Trout and Dolly Varden was world class. Accommodations and meals were great. Mike and his staff went out of their way to make sure we were well taken care of - very gracious hosts. If you want big fish, great scenery, and a lot of fun, visit Tower Rock Lodge in Alaska.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I came home from my Tower Rock Lodge fishing trip as excited and happy as the day I left for Alaska...a sign of a great trip. Fly fishing in Alaska had been on my bucket list for years and I recently found time in my schedule. I did some fast research on TripAdvisor and Orvis and narrowed my search to Tower Rock based solely on the strength of the reviews. Initially I was told it was fully booked (no surprise since I gave them only a weeks notice); however, within 24 hours the folks at the lodge made a spot for me (thanks Mike). I’m grateful they did because the trip was truly outstanding.

The Fishing. Where else can you catch ocean-size fish on a fly rod surrounded by pristine scenery, bald eagles, brown bear (at a safe distance), and moose? I was in a constant state of awe. Consider doing at least one fly-in/fly-out with the float plane, as that was an amazing experience by itself. Kenai Canyon is also an absolute must. The guides make sure you have everything you need and are some of the most skilled anglers I have met.

The Lodge. The grounds are beautiful and the cabins are comfortable but rustic. I don’t mean this in a negative way – I slept amazingly well and I thought the cabins were great, but they did lack some modern conveniences.
The Food. Wow...this was one area that was a pleasant surprise. Three times a day we were treated with meals that rival some of the dishes served at some Four Seasons property (not intended to be a knock on Four Seasons but a compliment to the Tower Rock Chef). This was especially notable given that some of the lunches were prepared stream side.

The People: This was a solo trip for me but the owners, the staff, and other guests (many return visitors) made me feel welcome and at home the entire time I was there.

I am fortunate to live close to several gold medal waters in Colorado, but Alaska and Tower Rock Lodge stand apart. There is no question I’ll be back – the question is when. I sure would like to try the Steelhead fishing in September. Thanks to all the staff at lodge for making my trip possible and memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank blitz3857
Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I really wondered if this place could possibly be as good as all the reviews. It certainly is!!! Mike Touhy literally meets you at the door on your arrival and sits down to hear what you want to do; he's always available to hear how things are going and change your fishing if you'd like -- and helps bus tables if he's walking by. But Mike also has a terrific staff that makes it a point to get to know the preferences of each guest. Alexis, Rachel, Jessica all make sure that Tom's delicious food is served up graciously. Our guides -- Dan and D$ mostly -- put us on good sized fish each day, even tho the river wasn't putting out a lot -- and in talking to guests & guides from other lodges, they all reported slim fishing. The fly-out was exceptional and breathtaking -- Bubba repeatedly chased away a mama bear and her cub that very much wanted to join us for lunch -- and flying over glaciers in the seaplane was awesome. The family style dining acquainted us with folks that were a delight to meet and share stories with. We chose Tower Rock because they truly provide everything you need for fishing -- coming from Florida we don't have the equipment to fish Alaska -- including the much needed rain gear and also because of the fly-out and fish processing they'll arrange. It's an excellent value. We're already planning our next Alaska fishing trip and TRL will be a part of that return trip. Also, I was surprised and happy to find that most of the folks there were in couples. I was afraid I might be the only fisher-women but this is the sort of place where women, whether they fish or not, love to go if they like the outdoors.

1 Thank tuck78
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My Wife & I stayed 8 days. Rained hard resulting in the Kenai River System being at flood stage and murky. That is when an experienced guide is critical. "D$" & "Burner" constantly fretted and tried everything they could think of to help us be successful - ultimately less Coho, but not because the guides did not do their best. On 2nd attempt we made it to the "Canyon" with the Dolly fishing being best described as epic. I landed a 24" hawg of a Dolly Varden, so braving the rough water to get to the Canyon is worth it. We brought home one box of Coho and under the circumstances of high/murky water we owe that to "D$" and "Burner", and the flyout's guide. Our experience with our guides is they had the boats ready, nets, extra rods, etc. - they were prepared to fish when we got on the boat.

We stayed in a cabin, and found it comfortable and well maintained. Lodge is nice and tasteful. Food is EXCELLENT [can not understate Tom's cooking], with the staff service even better. Constantly, the staff adjusted to us - easiest staff to work with. People mingled and we met new friends - both seasoned fisher folks and newbies. "Happy Hour" with wine and time after supper around the fires are great to relax and tell stories. Great place for Wives whether they fish or not.

TIP: We did a fly out to Crescent Lake with Alaska West Air, and we would recommend using their guides on a fly out - Tony had 17 years with Alaska West and experience counts when weather closes in when in bear country.
TIP: No matter how funky and cumbersome the rain suits are furnished by TRL, or how the store extols their expensive foul weather gear that you bought and dragged to Alaska - wear the TRL provided rain gear to stay dry.

Mike and his staff are excellent hosts, worked hard every day to take care of us, and our guides did their best to put us on Coho. TRL lived up to our hopes and their promise to do their best.

Room Tip: Ask for "Cabin Zero" for larger cabin.