“Awesome Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai
Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge
Ranked #3 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Kenai
“Awesome Trip”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This trip was a bucket list trip for my family and I. We found Jimmie Jack’s online based on the recommendations and high reviews. Although we came way to early for great fishing, the trip overall was a good experience that left us with wonderful memories, but I feel my review will be helpful for those traveling that way! You really experience Alaska’s true beauty, lodge grounds, and great staff.

Pros:
1. Halibut Fishing
Depending on the weather, this was a wonderful trip. If you came to bring fish home, this is the trip for you. We came home with our limit each trip. We can’t say enough good things about Captain Charlie and Alex. They were both very helpful and open to what the customers wanted to do. They gave us their knowledge and let us take a risk for the bigger fish. They knew exactly where to go to make it a successful trip!

2. Fly-In Fishing
If you are looking for something you have never and probably will never do again, this trip is for you. We already felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, and it’s the truth. You land on the water and then the plane leaves. This was the breath-taking trip…from seeing bears, eagles, waterfalls, glaciers, it’s the complete package. This was our favorite trip because we actually fished (or snagged) our catch. Most of the other trips, river, halibut, they have you stick your fishing pole in the rod holder. The salmon fishing you snag your salmon and that is what we came for, to cast, reel and catch!

3. Lodge Staff
We were greeted by Jimmie, Robert and Ade when we arrived. From the start they were very hospitable, anticipated our needs, and honestly grew to be our friends. Robert is a wonderful chef who prepared pretty great breakfast and lunches. They do not skimp on meals either, each meal was hearty, tasty and we really enjoyed them.

Cons:
1. Kasilof River
As the Kenai river was shut down we spent three very long days on the Kasilof river. As a guest, I feel this information should have been communicated prior to our trip. Additionally, there were a lot of new restrictions and changes on what fish you can and can’t keep. Wild versus hatchery, specific lengths and your percentage of catching them. Our guide informed us that we had a 10% chance of catching and keeping a king salmon. To us, this was not worth it. Had we been notified of these changes, we would’ve liked to switch our fishing days. We came for the fish, and were sourly disappointed. Again, as previously mentioned we were required to stick our poles in the rod holders all eight hours until a king hit. When and if they did hit, by the time you get your pole, they got off the single hook. Apparently treble hooks are not authorized for use.

2. Suggested Tips
While we felt we gave the lodge staff an adequate tip, we were shocked and did not anticipate their suggested tip amount for the total trip. No offense to the lodge staff but they do prepare meals, change and clean our room… but for seven days $1,000 tip is a bit extreme. We tip our guides, the fish house, our fly in captain…tips were expected, but not at that suggestion.

3. Mosquitos
The mosquitos will eat you alive. I understand now how they are called Alaska’s state bird. Be prepared for the swarms of them at the lodge as they are near water. The local stores have itch creams, mosquito repellant, candles…etc but they are terrible!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 51danielleh
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your great review Daniel. We always do our best here at Jimmie Jack Fishing, and it is good to see that you enjoyed your trip. Congratulations, your 130 pound halibut still ranks as the second largest yet this season! Capitan Charlie has been still hunting the big ones and yesterday saw another halibut over 100 pounds. I am glad you enjoyed the meals, and that Robert and Adee were anticipating your needs there at the lodge. We have solid systems set up to make sure we are taking care of you. I appreciate your comment that guests “experience Alaska’s true beauty, lodge grounds, and great staff.” Thank you!
Yes, the Kasilof River and the new restrictions by the ADFG made the fishing there very challenging during your stay. Chasing king salmon is always a trophy sport fish. Our guides to their best every day to give opportunity to fight a king, but even when it is good, it is still challenging. We understand this fishery, like the Kenai River king fishery, takes more time per fish, however, it is well worth the wait when the big one comes in. We cannot control the fishing, but our guides will always do their best to put you on the kings. Because of your review, I will be sending out regulation update emails via our email newsletter as soon as there is a change in regulation.
Yes, the mosquitoes have been worse the last 2 seasons. Before that we hardly saw them. We have recently placed Citronella Tiki candles at the lodge and cabins to keep them away.
Thank you for an awesome review, and for being honest and informative for our future guests. We always do our best to make your stay special. I hope to see you back up here for some more fishing action in the future. God bless!
Jimmie Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I grew up in Alaska and have experienced many great fishing trips. I have fish stories for days for folks in the lower 48. Nothing came anywhere close to my trip with Jimmiejacks. I went to high school with Jimmy and his sister, so I chose them for my dad and three brothers to do a halibut charter out of Ninilchik. None of us had any idea what we were in for. On the way out to the halibut grounds, we trolled for Kings, picking up a healthy 15 pounder enroute, which I thought was a nice touch and a good experience for my brothers son, who had the priviledge of reeling it in. Once on the halibut hangout, the action started hard and fast, with little abatement. It was quickly apparent that these guys were true professionals. I dont think there was five minutes the whole day where somebody didn't have a fish on. Due to the new rules, we went through a lot of halibut before actually keeping some, but we did manage to all limit out easily before the day was over. I myself reeled in 16 halibut that day, and my arm was about to fall off by the time it was over. The action was so intense and non-stop, we were wore out and well ready to come in by the time the whole shooting match stopped. Jimmiejacks delivers, cut and dried. I will be sending every bit of business their way that I can in the future, simply because if I point someone in a direction, my credibility is on the line, and I know Jimmiejacks wont let me down, not even for a second. Ill be back next year, and the year after, and the year after........you get the point.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thumpdawg
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hi Chris, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am glad you had a great time on the Halibut trip. We always do our best here at JJF, and it is good to hear when you have an excellent day on the water! Thank you for your review, and I look forward to seeing you here in Kenai again, and maybe on the river too! God bless you in your travels.
Waterbury Center, Vermont
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've fished with Jim and his staff for many years and his knowledge, experience, and treatment is superior. He and his staff make every effort to have a seasoned fishers as well as people who hav never fish have a great time. Whether king salmon, coho, sockeye, rainbow trout, or ocean fishing for halibut, ling cod, rock fish or others, Jimmie Jack's Fishing can't be beat.

Michael M

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Well, 4 years ago my son and I reviewed many fishing trip guides for his 16th birthday and decided on Jimmy Jack with great reviews from NAPA's North to Alaska with Larry Zonka. The fishing was more that words could define, GREAT, FANTASTIC, BREATH TAKING, TERRIFIC and fish beyond our dreams. We had fish on or fish off it seemed each fish we caught go bigger and bigger each time. I would catch 1 my son would catch 1 bigger, our guide Dave said to me your son always catches 1 bigger than you he has the touch. The guides 100% top notch, they will make you LAUGH over the fighting action of the fish and say they are WILD silvers .Action can range from a light tug to jumping out of the water almost landing in the boat ACTION. Jimmy Jack operation is GREAT, everyone makes you feel at home when you are along way from home. Food, lodging, guides basicly everything was TOP NOTCH. I loved it so much I am returning in Sept 2014 with my older son on a silver and rainbow trip can not wait. To round out Jimmy Jack score from 1 to 10, he is 100 the BEST of the BEST hands down !!!!!!

Room Tip: Room with a ocean view is breath taking any time of the day.
1 Thank Joe P
Anchorage, Alaska, Usa
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have fished with Jimmie for many years. My entire family has enjoyed his trips and lodging on several occasions. Every trip has been terrific! I cannot give him a higher recommendation!

We have fished Kings to Silvers, Trout to Dollies. He was very skilled and quite knowledgeable on location and technique

1 Thank Tom C
Mission Viejo, California, Usa
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This my sixth trip with Jimmie Jack Fishing and he never disappoints. The trip started with silver salmon fishing and we caught our limit in three hours. It was a beautiful day on the Kenai River, Which I was spending with my nephew and brother in-law. We enjoyed one of Jimmie's cabins on a full acre where we made many fires in the fire pit and enjoyed telling our fishing experiences back to each other. Every morning we enjoyed eating a breakfast at Jimmie Jack's Lodge. Great Food and a lot of it to go around. We spent our last day trout fishing and let me tell you i've caught a lot of trout in my day but the size of these trout were just amazing!!! All together we caught five trophy trout all over 27" and the biggest was 30". All I can say is WOW!!!! God Bless Jimmie Jack Fishing. We can't wait to boot our next trip with his experience crew. Great memories that will last a lifetime.

Kenai, Alaska, Usa
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Jimmie Jack Fishing offers excellent facilities, beautiful views, clean boats, top-of-the-line gear, you just can't find a better way to visit the Kenai Peninsula. The people of Jimmie Jack Fishing are patient, not intimidating, friendly and fun to be around. It is so pleasant to be out with the guides,to benefit from their experience and make maximum effort to find whatever fish you are looking for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenai
Aspen Extended Stay Suites
Alaska SeaScape Lodge
#6 of 18 in Kenai
Diamond M Ranch Resort
Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge

Been to Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge? Share your experiences!