“SO much fun!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai
Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge
Ranked #2 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Kenai
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at Jimmie Jack's for 3 days and 3 nights and had a wonderful experience. Robert, the manager and chef made us delicious breakfasts every morning and Addie has sandwiches down to a science! They couldn't have been nicer. We caught sockeyes in the Kenai River and plenty of Halibut in Cook's Inlet. Charlie and Alex are a riot on the Halibut trip! Unfortunately no King Salmon on the Kasilof River and Alaska shut down the Kenai River so no luck catching but the float trip down the Kasilof was beautiful and Don was an excellent guide. Keenan showed us the trick to catch sockeyes so that was interesting to say the least. It was just a lot of fun! We used the kitchen in the lodge to make a sockeye dinner one night with 2 other couples who were also staying at the lodge. A great time! Go and enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amywtravel
There are newer reviews for Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My first time Alaskan experience at Jimmie Jack's was phenomenal! Jimmie's operation is first class! The fishing for Kings was tough. If you do any research you will find the Alaskan fishery is not what it used to be, but I'm a fisherman and understand that's why it's called fishing not catching. If you must catch fish, fish for sockeye or halibut. If you're willing to wait out the possibility of catching a trophy king then fish the kings and bring your patience along. We lost 1 big fish and a couple take downs, saw another of Jimmie's boats land a 58 pounder, and heard a couple days later that they were boating 3 to 7 fish a day up to 50 lbs. It's very unpredictable but his guides will work hard and produce as good as or better than anyone on the river.
My stay at the lodge was the best I've experienced. Robert (lodge manager) and Adde were on top of everything from meals, accommodations, scheduling, recommendations, and just creating the most positive atmosphere you'll find. The facilities were very clean, well kept, accommodating, and in a very beautiful setting.
I would recommend Jimmie Jack's to anyone without reservation. I like to try something different from trip to trip, but my overall stay was fantastic and I would love to come back.

Room Tip: Each room has a different theme so explore your options.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Donald H
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked rooms in the lodge, ended up in small cabin for 3. Bunk bed in kitchen with a piece of foam for a mattress, One bed in bedroom. Told couldn't be accommodated in the lodge because we were a party of 3. Very skimpy breakfast and lunch. Dream trip was a nightmare. Poor salmon guide, Paid extra to fly in for halibut. Owner/manager was no help. Complained in person, in writing and on line when we got home. Have not had a reply at all. We booked this trip several months in advance. No excuse on lodging. The lunch packed for flight home to So Calif. had the ingredient hidden within the wrap. Had I not spit it out, I would have been very sick for 36 hours, very difficult to deal with especially on an airplane. I felt sabotaged for complaining about the small amount of food provided in the package. All 3 of us were hungry and grocery shopped to fill out daily needs. We will never go there again.

Room Tip: Not truthful about lodging and food.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dave m
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I am sorry to hear that this guest had such a tough experience. I did leave 2 voicemails and an email immediately following their trip. I also talked to one of the party on the phone, and apologized after we received the guest’s survey.
We always aim to give excellent service, and it is very difficult to hear that everything was in question. We do have many guests that request this cabin annually, so it is hard to understand what was wrong. We have also added blackout shades since this guest’s visit.
We do reserve rooms or cabins, and place guests where they can be comfortable according to group size. We do honor lodging requests as well. This cabin always performs well with 3 guests, as it has a queen, and 2 XL twin bunks. We do have a premium mattress on each bed. There is no foam used on for any bed.
We will always accommodate guests in other rooms, or cabins if we have availability. In this case, we were full, and this cabin has worked great for many groups of 3 in the past. Therefore, we placed them in this cabin so they would have plenty of room on an acre with their own campfire area.
This is confusing because we do not have a fly-in for halibut. When the guest did upgrade to a fly-in trip there is a charge because fly-in trips do cost twice as much as other trips. We would like to congratulate this group on catching the largest halibut of the season at 160 pounds!
I have talked to our cook, and he in no way would endanger someone’s health by sabotaging their lunch. All of the other guests surveyed at this time enjoyed the meals, and said that they were more than enough. Here at JJF, we always want to improve, and we welcome constructive criticism.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

i) Top class fishing lodge, conveniently located for all the fishing types that the Kenai Peninsula has to offer - better than the photos on the website.
ii) King Salmon fishing x 2 days - Jimmie Jack´s has the best boats on the Kasilof and Kenai rivers - with knowledgeable young guides - unfortunately KIng Salmon were between runs not biting -Zero fish
iii) Halibut - 1 day - Best Halibut Boat by far - Excellent crew - everyone catching and catching BIG!
iv) Fly out fishing x 2 day - an adventure in itself - fly over the galciers and volcanoes - right time for Red / Sockeye Salmon - caught my limit both days. Recommend CRESCENT Lake fly out if you want to fish from the bank and to catch much bigger Reds.
v) Homer 1 Day - Eco trip and lunch - Very pretty and for bird and sea otter watchers - not fishing - but a great break
vi) Seward Combo - didnt do this package but should have done ! A chance to catch Silver Salmon in the sea and see Wales.
I will retrun to Alaska but i will come either i the last week of July or first week of August - when açll types of Salmon might be caught. I saw plenty of Sockeye/Reds which were plentiful and few Silver Bar King Salmon with sea lice ! Jimnie Jacks makes fishing in Alaska very comfortable and very easy - all top quality. His team are flexible and friendly.
I do recommend them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Andrew M
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much for the excellent review. We do our best here at JJF, and it is great to see that you consider us a top class fishing lodge! I am especially glad that you notice that our boats are the best because we pride ourselves on that. Thank you for your recommendation and please return soon. And, yes, next time book the Seward Trip, it is awesome! A very special thank you for the gifts from Brazil.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This trip was a bucket list trip for my family and I. We found Jimmie Jack’s online based on the recommendations and high reviews. Although we came way to early for great fishing, the trip overall was a good experience that left us with wonderful memories, but I feel my review will be helpful for those traveling that way! You really experience Alaska’s true beauty, lodge grounds, and great staff.

Pros:
1. Halibut Fishing
Depending on the weather, this was a wonderful trip. If you came to bring fish home, this is the trip for you. We came home with our limit each trip. We can’t say enough good things about Captain Charlie and Alex. They were both very helpful and open to what the customers wanted to do. They gave us their knowledge and let us take a risk for the bigger fish. They knew exactly where to go to make it a successful trip!

2. Fly-In Fishing
If you are looking for something you have never and probably will never do again, this trip is for you. We already felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, and it’s the truth. You land on the water and then the plane leaves. This was the breath-taking trip…from seeing bears, eagles, waterfalls, glaciers, it’s the complete package. This was our favorite trip because we actually fished (or snagged) our catch. Most of the other trips, river, halibut, they have you stick your fishing pole in the rod holder. The salmon fishing you snag your salmon and that is what we came for, to cast, reel and catch!

3. Lodge Staff
We were greeted by Jimmie, Robert and Ade when we arrived. From the start they were very hospitable, anticipated our needs, and honestly grew to be our friends. Robert is a wonderful chef who prepared pretty great breakfast and lunches. They do not skimp on meals either, each meal was hearty, tasty and we really enjoyed them.

Cons:
1. Kasilof River
As the Kenai river was shut down we spent three very long days on the Kasilof river. As a guest, I feel this information should have been communicated prior to our trip. Additionally, there were a lot of new restrictions and changes on what fish you can and can’t keep. Wild versus hatchery, specific lengths and your percentage of catching them. Our guide informed us that we had a 10% chance of catching and keeping a king salmon. To us, this was not worth it. Had we been notified of these changes, we would’ve liked to switch our fishing days. We came for the fish, and were sourly disappointed. Again, as previously mentioned we were required to stick our poles in the rod holders all eight hours until a king hit. When and if they did hit, by the time you get your pole, they got off the single hook. Apparently treble hooks are not authorized for use.

2. Suggested Tips
While we felt we gave the lodge staff an adequate tip, we were shocked and did not anticipate their suggested tip amount for the total trip. No offense to the lodge staff but they do prepare meals, change and clean our room… but for seven days $1,000 tip is a bit extreme. We tip our guides, the fish house, our fly in captain…tips were expected, but not at that suggestion.

3. Mosquitos
The mosquitos will eat you alive. I understand now how they are called Alaska’s state bird. Be prepared for the swarms of them at the lodge as they are near water. The local stores have itch creams, mosquito repellant, candles…etc but they are terrible!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 51danielleh
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your great review Daniel. We always do our best here at Jimmie Jack Fishing, and it is good to see that you enjoyed your trip. Congratulations, your 130 pound halibut still ranks as the second largest yet this season! Capitan Charlie has been still hunting the big ones and yesterday saw another halibut over 100 pounds. I am glad you enjoyed the meals, and that Robert and Adee were anticipating your needs there at the lodge. We have solid systems set up to make sure we are taking care of you. I appreciate your comment that guests “experience Alaska’s true beauty, lodge grounds, and great staff.” Thank you!
Yes, the Kasilof River and the new restrictions by the ADFG made the fishing there very challenging during your stay. Chasing king salmon is always a trophy sport fish. Our guides to their best every day to give opportunity to fight a king, but even when it is good, it is still challenging. We understand this fishery, like the Kenai River king fishery, takes more time per fish, however, it is well worth the wait when the big one comes in. We cannot control the fishing, but our guides will always do their best to put you on the kings. Because of your review, I will be sending out regulation update emails via our email newsletter as soon as there is a change in regulation.
Yes, the mosquitoes have been worse the last 2 seasons. Before that we hardly saw them. We have recently placed Citronella Tiki candles at the lodge and cabins to keep them away.
Thank you for an awesome review, and for being honest and informative for our future guests. We always do our best to make your stay special. I hope to see you back up here for some more fishing action in the future. God bless!
Jimmie Jack

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I grew up in Alaska and have experienced many great fishing trips. I have fish stories for days for folks in the lower 48. Nothing came anywhere close to my trip with Jimmiejacks. I went to high school with Jimmy and his sister, so I chose them for my dad and three brothers to do a halibut charter out of Ninilchik. None of us had any idea what we were in for. On the way out to the halibut grounds, we trolled for Kings, picking up a healthy 15 pounder enroute, which I thought was a nice touch and a good experience for my brothers son, who had the priviledge of reeling it in. Once on the halibut hangout, the action started hard and fast, with little abatement. It was quickly apparent that these guys were true professionals. I dont think there was five minutes the whole day where somebody didn't have a fish on. Due to the new rules, we went through a lot of halibut before actually keeping some, but we did manage to all limit out easily before the day was over. I myself reeled in 16 halibut that day, and my arm was about to fall off by the time it was over. The action was so intense and non-stop, we were wore out and well ready to come in by the time the whole shooting match stopped. Jimmiejacks delivers, cut and dried. I will be sending every bit of business their way that I can in the future, simply because if I point someone in a direction, my credibility is on the line, and I know Jimmiejacks wont let me down, not even for a second. Ill be back next year, and the year after, and the year after........you get the point.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank thumpdawg
JimmiJack, Owner at Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi Chris, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am glad you had a great time on the Halibut trip. We always do our best here at JJF, and it is good to hear when you have an excellent day on the water! Thank you for your review, and I look forward to seeing you here in Kenai again, and maybe on the river too! God bless you in your travels.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've fished with Jim and his staff for many years and his knowledge, experience, and treatment is superior. He and his staff make every effort to have a seasoned fishers as well as people who hav never fish have a great time. Whether king salmon, coho, sockeye, rainbow trout, or ocean fishing for halibut, ling cod, rock fish or others, Jimmie Jack's Fishing can't be beat.

Michael M

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenai
Kenai River Lodge
Alaska SeaScape Lodge
#5 of 18 in Kenai
Diamond M Ranch Resort
Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge

Been to Jimmie Jack's Alaska Lodge? Share your experiences!